Suitable Cam For 3tc Engine

benzo

Hey guys after some advice on a suitable cam for my 3TC KE30.

It is a daily so don't want anything too extreme, currently running standard carby, but will be putting twin solex's on once I find linkages (anyone know of or got any?).

Don't know if I really wanna spend the money on a cam yet, but after some advice and a rough price.

Cheers, Ben.

Members dont see this ad

my engine came with a 'mild' cam, whatever that means. i can get the spec sheet for you if ya want, i know ive still got it at home somewhere. I'm running the stock carb still and extractors and i think the car is very very good for daily duties.

if you get a new cam let us know how it goes cuase I'm looking at strapping some sidedrafts to my engine soon as well and I'm interested to see how the cam/sidedraft combination will work.

EDIT: try rodger at RM Carburettors for linkages. i can't remember the website but google will find it for ya

Edited by godlovesugly

I had a Wade 169 grind in my 2TC many years ago. Was a very good streetable cam and was run happily at different times with a downdraft weber (32/36 DCD from memory) and also twin 40 mm webers.

At that time (mid 80's :y: ) the next grind up was a 121 and that was pretty lumpy.

Wades have a website with the various grinds and are very knowledgeble.

Camtech cams have a website with all their grinds listed. There is a form you can fill out with all your engine specs and what you want to do with it etc. and they will work out what is best for you and e-mail you back. They quoted me $175 to have my 3T-C cam reground, they didn't have any new billets.

$175 aint bad for a cam regrind ay, really want that lump lump idle, but ye not really priority right now.

Wade 169 grind is apparently a pretty good cam for a 5k too, will be running that in my 5K when I build it.

And yeah I have been on toyota3tc.com :y:

Cheers, Ben.

There's no answer anyone can give you as to what cam profile to go to, your car dude. You're better off calling a machine shop that does regrinds and telling them your engine setup, and where you'd like your peak power, whether you want top end, or a nice torquey mid range, they'll have a list of grinds to there formula. 3TC's have rockers right? No real worry running regrind unless its a Yamaha bucket head.

• 1 month later...