Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Featured Replies

Engine bay after shot looks amazing Ben, great work as usual.

 

After I fix the rolla it will definitely needing a going over with a toothbrush and degreaser.

 

Just wondering in your windscreen water container that's a windscreen washing liquid?

  • Replies 522
  • Views 410.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • uhhh going to vic roads for a gearbox conversion? :huh:

  • Back in Melboune a few weekends ago we hosted the first All Japan Day car show, an event hosted many times in other states if I'm not wrong? Got the ke70 all prepped up, and I couldnt believe how much

  • Thanks Jay, once they are clean up they are like a different (new car).   After long searching I found a genuine sx/gti rear muffler, thanks to madrollafan! In good solid condition, just needed the

Posted Images

  • Author

Engine bay after shot looks amazing Ben, great work as usual.

 

After I fix the rolla it will definitely needing a going over with a toothbrush and degreaser.

 

Just wondering in your windscreen water container that's a windscreen washing liquid?

 

Thanks, a few hours work with a rag of petrol wiping over pre cleaned surfaces :)

 

Blue liquid in the windscreen washer bottle is that solution from Turtle Wax, I think its called "bug off" with a cartooney picture on the front. I have never used the washer in the time I have owned this, but did so on the ae71 and it cleaned fine.

Edited by Ben-89

Read through this thread over a few days, and I have to say, after seeing all the work that has gone into your cars, it's really impressive. Very tasteful too as most would have no idea unless they knew these cars.

 

Your attention to detail is second to none, I've got a bit of surface rust on my AE93 at the top of the windscreens and around the doors, whats the best way of getting rid of the rust without damaging the surrounding paint?

 

And were you at a Coffee, Cars, Donuts meet a couple months back at Glen Waverley? Saw a very similar looking KE70, if not the same car itself there.

  • Author

Read through this thread over a few days, and I have to say, after seeing all the work that has gone into your cars, it's really impressive. Very tasteful too as most would have no idea unless they knew these cars.

 

Your attention to detail is second to none, I've got a bit of surface rust on my AE93 at the top of the windscreens and around the doors, whats the best way of getting rid of the rust without damaging the surrounding paint?

 

And were you at a Coffee, Cars, Donuts meet a couple months back at Glen Waverley? Saw a very similar looking KE70, if not the same car itself there.

 

Chris its enthusiasts such as your self who appreciate this which gives me the buzz to do this. Typically the issue with surface rust above the windscreen was due to the window trims put in by Toyota. Being a multi piece trim of 3 main lengths while it allowed for flexing it also allowed moisture, water and dust which would turn to dirt accumilate. Also, as the trims moved they would wear the paint down just enough to expose raw metal and with the moisture and dirt underneath it would rust. Its very common and can be found on the sv21 Camrys which feature the same trim design.

 

I'm a little unsure on the surface around the doors though? pop up a pic in your rides thread and I may be able to address it :y:

 

 

If you intend on keeping the long term it would be wise to remove the windscreen and clean the whole recess and repaint while blending into the roof.

 

Yes that is my ke70 you saw :) , Your ae93 was the white series 1 I'm assuming? Nothing like an original SX, there was a charcoal series two as well.

Edited by Ben-89

Chris its enthusiasts such as your self who appreciate this which gives me the buzz to do this. Typically the issue with surface rust above the windscreen was due to the window trims put in by Toyota. Being a multi piece trim of 3 main lengths while it allowed for flexing it also allowed moisture, water and dust which would turn to dirt accumilate. Also, as the trims moved they would wear the paint down just enough to expose raw metal and with the moisture and dirt underneath it would rust. Its very common and can be found on the sv21 Camrys which feature the same trim design.

 

I'm a little unsure on the surface around the doors though? pop up a pic in your rides thread and I may be able to address it :y:

 

 

If you intend on keeping the long term it would be wise to remove the windscreen and clean the whole recess and repaint while blending into the roof.

 

Yes that is my ke70 you saw :) , Your ae93 was the white series 1 I'm assuming? Nothing like an original SX, there was a charcoal series two as well.

 

Yeah the White Series 1 AE93 is mine, currently original but I will be taking a different path of modifying and will add some aftermarket items but not going overboard. The Gunmetal Grey (Charcoal) series 2 belongs to my mate.

 

I'll PM you shortly with pics of the rust on my car.

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Back in Melboune a few weekends ago we hosted the first All Japan Day car show, an event hosted many times in other states if I'm not wrong? Got the ke70 all prepped up, and I couldnt believe how much dirt/dust etc I removed from the car from all the little nooks and crannies.

 

Took the grille off clean each bar and the rag was brown, a shot of Nu Finish polish had it glistening. While the grille was off I lightly painted the rad support panel in satin black and continued the mission into the engine bay. Just cleaning things like the chrome airfilter clips left a whole lot reddish brown on the cloth! Then everyones favourite.... the copper fittings for the heater lines came up like a mirror! And a little more Nu Finish on the gloss black airfilter housing beautifull.

 

While working on the heater line I replaced all the clamps with some oem units so its all uniform as I threw them out many years ago when replacing the thermostat housing and offending hose :y: Even the teny tiny ones for the little by pass hose from water pump to thermostat housing :wink:

 

As usual all the external chrome trims above the doors, on the doors, and on the wheels were shot with some polish too, And later some tyre shine. It was the first major event the car has been to and the recognition was very strong. Plenty of people wanting to know of its history, whats been done etc,etc.

 

So in all its livery here are some photos :y:

 

CopyofSDC10256.jpg

 

CopyofS5004735.jpg

 

CopyofS5004738.jpg

 

These two are some of the photos gladly taken from Chroma Canvas.

Chromacanvas.jpg

 

CopyofChromacanvas1.jpg

 

Some hubcaps I bought at Ballarat Swap Meet, Different? they are now hanging on my garage wall.

S5004666.jpg

those hubcaps will work well with whitewalls brb ill do a photoshop

Looks awesome Ben, as always. I still think it needs to be lowered an inch or two. :y:

 

Josh :cool:

Looking good! Hubcaps do look a little funny, but for some reason they work

That ke70 is so incredibly clean!

 

Do cashie jobs for detailing cars? wink.gif

While whitewalls probably weren't a factory option for this car, they're still a nice period mod for the car, would go well with those hubcaps as Evan said.

  • Author

While whitewalls probably weren't a factory option for this car, they're still a nice period mod for the car, would go well with those hubcaps as Evan said.

True, white walls werent a factory option. With the previous tyres which were 12 years old with some paint marker I did a white wall band and it looked okay, but I didnt do it with the new Bridgestones. Hubcaps, popped them on for a bit of fun, they were off the ke30 and ke35 2 door sedan and hardtop in the very early series from 1974. One bloke had three for sale only so I didnt bother asking and three hours later on the oter side of the swap meet there was another guy selling one. So I grabbed that one and went back and the remaining three. Just a pretty hubcap to hang up :y:

 

Sorry Mr Josh, Low is a foreign word for this. :wink:

Eye spy :lolcry:

 

post-10684-0-18423200-1322819444_thumb.jpg

 

Bens ksev brings all the girls to the show, dam right its better then urs, dam right, but he'll have to charge!!!!!

 

 

See ya

 

Jimi

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Ha nice jingle to the pic Jimi :thumbsup:

 

I'm getting fussier with age I think :hmm:

 

Well done some more low key tidy ups if you'd call it that. Some of it was in preparation for AJD and then it eventuated into doing things in preparation for its 30th Birthday in March. The Hi Cam badges I have pulled off, they were never ever put on 1982 built Corollas, stupidly I stuck it on 8 years back because it looked "cool" :down: Its much neater without them.

Secondly, back in the day this was getting around with some big hellas on the front. When the front bumper was changed the lights were taken off and never installed. (They are undamaged and weigh an absolute tonne!) Again it looks cleaner without them. There is a red wire which comes from one of the rubber firewall grommets which was for the lights, many friends on here and at AJD noted this imperfection so I have corrected it.

 

Went down to the wreckers and got a lenght of that black tubing trimmed it accordingly, put it on taped it up so it matches and gave it some armourall. I insist its been there for 29 years ;)

 

I decided to replace the radiator hoses, the top one was the never correct profile from the beginning. While I was aware of that 4 years ago I let it go as it never affected the cooling efficency, until Peter Robinson (The Toyota guro of olde) politely advised me of the appropriate hose which was the straw that broke the camels back on All Japan Day. He was one of the people who noted the red wire too.

 

Recently with the radiator out, I gave it a sand back (light rub), undercoated it and gave it few lashings of satin black. SHlong13 gave me the idea :y: I also gave the fan cowling a good wash down with thinner to remove years of forever black and armourall. It now looks better than before - not so tacky. Oh and also the bypass hose too! I replaced the 4K-C and Castrol stickers with a cleaner pair :)

 

I also grabbed a vacuum line from booster to inlet manifold as mine has a few cracks, so as usual I gave it a good clean and blacked it up a bit. Good as new :y: After a few weeks I went down to Centre Rd wreckers, I keep hearing about it and decided to go and got a perfect inlet heater hose assembly, and one Ive been hunting for a long, long time a centre cap :blush: One on the car is all dented in, so after fossiking through two large crates all dad and I could find were ones with the red T centre for corona, celica or cressida. And then dad found the "one"

 

So gave them a good clean up and will put them on when I bring the ke back home.

 

 

 

New hoses L shaped upper, lower and by pass hose. Red wire along firewall, incorrect top hose, too shiny fan cowl, gloss finished all replaced corrected. Also put back on some or the missing oem clamps for the by pass hose etc.

 

Before

S5004462-1.jpg

 

S5004820.jpg

 

S5004821.jpg

 

Bottom two is todays efforts :y:

S5004836.jpg

 

No before only afters.

S5004832.jpg

 

Shiney :hail:

S5004830.jpg

 

S5004831.jpg

Edited by Ben-89

Wow ben, wow. Love the atention to detail, thats the way i like it. Wicked work :y:

How did you get the brass so shiney, braso and elbow grease??

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.