Melbourne's Worst Fires Since Ash Wednesday

Kid-Ae

Now, assuming you all remember the horror that Ash Wednesday brought to Melbourne in the summer of 1983, then brace yourselves...

Victoria is on fire all over the state, i am not sure on all details, however there are 40 confirmed dead, places such as Bunyip, Kinglake, Healseveale, Marysville, Alexandra, etc are ablaze. Living so close (Croydon) is frightening.

With containment lines broken by 12pm this afternoon, the fires have raged in the heat, with many areas of Victoria reaching almost 50*C and winds reaching 80-90km/h the battle has been treacherous to say the least.

May our thoughts be with those who are affected by this terrifying barricade of flames and let us hope these fires can be contained within the next 24 hours to prevent any more deaths.

If you believe you know of anybody who may be in the direct line of fire, and cannot contact them, please DO NOT bombard the MFB, CFA or 000 as they are flat out and the congestion in the phone lines are hard to cope with.

This day, Saturday February 6th 2009 will go down as possibly the worst fires Victoria have ever encountered.

:yes:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My sisters house in Kinglake is gone, and I believe my old house in Kinglake is gone.

14 confirmed deaths at this point, per radio 776 at this time. :yes:

The number of 40 is only a number they suspect.

The 40 were just confirmed on 774 ABC radio..

;)

As I look out my window and see the torrent of water falling from the sky, and think of my home town and my mum's house, which are currently experiencing the worst flooding since the 70's... raging bushfires are almost unfathomable to me...

This country is nuts.

Stay safe people

Its horible news and i just hope the death toll rises no more. I had a experience about 10 years ago when i was 15. The fires up in Mt dandenong were only 500 meters from my house and we decided to stay and fight. There was a wind change at the last minute and the firefighters contained the fires. Today i rang my mum 4 times just to make sure she was safe. Burwood Hwy was closed so i couldnt drive up the hill. There were fires in Upper Ferntree gully. I just got told there was a fire in Lilydale that just broke out. I am listening to 693 Am. I hope everyone is safe. Oh and a huge thankyou to all the brave firefighters and volunteers that have helped today. Without them it woud be alot worse.

Wouldn't surprise me if Mt Dandenong went up in flames..

Nor would it surprise me if the lilydale fires decided to come hurtling towards Chirnside Park, Mooroolbark and/or Croydon if containment cannot be achieved.

All of Kinglake is on fire/burnt out, the pub, dozens of homes etc.

The fires that managed to be contained in Bendigo were merely 300m from my girlfriend's grandparent's unit.

The worst thing is there is nothing we can do.. :yes:

As someone who remembers Ash Wednesday vividly - 100+kms from fire front and still getting ash and shit dropping in the yard - yesturday scared the shit out of me. The fires got to within 1km of the Bendigo CBD.

I am just thankful my old man has retired from being a district mechanical officer for the CFA as he would have been in the thick of it, as he has been for every major fire for 30 years.

Words can't describe the help that all the firecrews, support staff, police, ambos, red cross etc provide is these situations.

"The worst thing is there is nothing we can do.. "

WRONG, WE CAN GET OFF OUR COLLECTIVE ARSES AND JOIN OUR LOCAL BRIGADES SO WE ARE THERE NEXT TIME.

And to the guy on the news that was complaining about lack of fire trucks - crews are banned from going into areas that will place themselves at risk. If there is only one way in and out then trucks shouldnt be in there.

As someone who remembers Ash Wednesday vividly - 100+kms from fire front and still getting ash and shit dropping in the yard - yesturday scared the shit out of me. The fires got to within 1km of the Bendigo CBD.

I am just thankful my old man has retired from being a district mechanical officer for the CFA as he would have been in the thick of it, as he has been for every major fire for 30 years.

Words can't describe the help that all the firecrews, support staff, police, ambos, red cross etc provide is these situations.

"The worst thing is there is nothing we can do.. "

WRONG, WE CAN GET OFF OUR COLLECTIVE ARSES AND JOIN OUR LOCAL BRIGADES SO WE ARE THERE NEXT TIME.

And to the guy on the news that was complaining about lack of fire trucks - crews are banned from going into areas that will place themselves at risk. If there is only one way in and out then trucks shouldnt be in there.

Very true that.

I was 7 years old, living in the Adelaide hills back in '83 and the fires were burning every town around us (some within a km or so) and I can tell you it's something you never forget for the rest of your life.

Pretty scary when you're alone with only your mother and little brother (who was screaming) and everyone's fathers are out fighting those fires without any knowledge of where they were, When, or If, they were coming back.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON INVOLVED IN FIGHTING THESE FIRES DESERVES OUR BEST WISHES FOR A SAFE RETURN TO THEIR FAMILIES

ALSO our condolonces to those who have lost anything/ everything to the terrible force of mother nature

P.S. ANYONE who has deliberately lit any of these fires, I hope you are brought to justice (with a VERY heavy hand) before you ruin any more lifes :yes:

My 2cents worth