Fuel Economy

Lexxi[ke35]

Wow 8L/100km it actually is, I think I did it wrong. I didn't really think about what it meant. Oops.

I've done 200km on half a tank, my tank is what 50L? I divided 400km by 50L, I wasn't sure if that's how to do it though.

I have no idea if my speedo or odo is correct, and I don't fully understand what you mean by the "auto diff vs 4 speed manual transmission combo"

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow 8L/100km it actually is, I think I did it wrong. I didn't really think about what it meant. Oops.

I've done 200km on half a tank, my tank is what 50L? I divided 400km by 50L, I wasn't sure if that's how to do it though.

I have no idea if my speedo or odo is correct, and I don't fully understand what you mean by the "auto diff vs 4 speed manual transmission combo"

Don't use half a tank as an accurate measurement, only ever use the volume you put in when you fill up.

And the proper way to get L/100km is to take the litres value, and divide it by how many 100kms you have gone. So in your case (assuming it's an accurate 25L), take 25 and divide by 2, which is 12.5L/100km.

Ke fuel gauges are dodgy at the best of time, and downright broken at the worst. Assuming odometer is correct (if your wheels, diff or transmission have been changed then this will affect how accurate it is), use distance travelled since last full tank and the amount poured in at the pump to top it up instead.

ahh ... 400 km / 50 Litres gives you km/litre ... ie. 8 km/litre (which is 12.5 litres/100km)

Besides the fact that that's a very inaccurate way of doing it ... the accepted way for you, me and everyone else without expensive measuring equipment to do it is:

1. fill up to the first click at the servo
  2. zero your trip counter or record your odometer reading
  3. drive ... drive ... drive
  4. fill up to the first click at the servo (ie. try and fill it to the same level it was before)
  5. record the amount (litres) you've just put in
  6. record the distance travelled since the last time you filled up

now you have an indication of how many litres it takes you to travel a certain distance

Divide the litres by the number of kilometers and then multiply by 100 - this will give you your litres per 100 km number.

Every time you fill up, you'll fill to a slightly different level - so a better way of doing it is to do the calculation across multiple fills and combine the results.

eg. after 4 half tank fills, you'll have travelled around 800 km and will probably have put in around 96 litres ... which would work out at 12 litres / 100 km.

you mentioned that you have the wrong diff - so I (maybe wrongly) assumed you meant you had an auto diff in there.

Either way, what do you mean by "the wrong diff".

If it has a different ratio than original and you haven't changed something else (tyre size, speedo sender) to compensate, your speedo will be wrong and hence your odometer will also be wrong - which will mean that you've used the wrong number of km's in your calculations.

cheers

65 ltr's gets me 375 km, buy that time the fuel light is on and I'm to scared to go beyond, thats about 6km to the litre

it sits on 3000rpm doing 80kmh and about 400-4500 doing 110 when I'm naughty,

this is a 3 speed auto 78 cressida, 2.6 ltr's of fury, very slow but spins 3rd in the wet haha

hope the rolla gets the same or better

wow thats a lot of fuel.

how many shot gun noises and cooks does that include?

when i had my 4k, id get about 12-14l/100km's that was a max of 80kays on my L's so slower than granny driving! that was about 4000rpm on 80km's (4 speed and completely standard healthy 4k). revved well but was very thirsty

with 4ac, weber, electronic ignition, huge cam, exhaust, babying it on highway spec i can get around 7L/100km's. not only that but when i thrash it it uses 11/100km's.

also i use premium (95 ron) as it would ping on regular but is actually tuned (by screw driver and ear) to run best on 98 ron ethonal which i get rahter poor economy on, but more power and its cheaper which offsets it. on the ethonal blend id get probaly around 11-12L/100km's but id tend to want to give it a bit more as it run much better and has noticeably more pull.

Edited by tas_ae71

all these economy figures are f@$ked.

i was driving a 4 speed panelvan with a 4k getting just under 7L/100km.

its a 1.3, over 10 is just ridiculous in such a light car.

i get 12/100 on a bad week from a 4.2 diesel pulling 2.5 tonne...

my old 4k in the ke70 sedan used to deliver 8L/100km consistantly for about 30,000km, and i never drive any corolla gently :)

flat out, those figures...you could get better from an off its tits 383...

^^ Totally agree how are some of you guys working out your figures.

My KE30 has 531400 KM on the clock know the cars history since NEW. So that is genuine. Has original diff and 3K in it still never been rebuilt the motor.

I have removed the accelerator pump from the carby and that is all and if I drive like a granny at 5am with cool air on way to work which is 50% city 50% highway drive record is 6.7L/100KM

I drive MINIMUM 600km a week in my KE30. So I measure fuel usage every week to work out best time to get a tune etc. Average consumption is: 7.1L/100KM

i just don't know how some of you guys get 10L/100 must be on and off and on and off the accelerator HEAPS and revving it hard. I do drive mine like that then some days steady. and with the 5 speed I sit smack on 3000RPM on 100km/h.

Cheers

Cameron

i just don't know how some of you guys get 10L/100 must be on and off and on and off the accelerator HEAPS and revving it hard. I do drive mine like that then some days steady. and with the 5 speed I sit smack on 3000RPM on 100km/h.

It's called traffic, plus having to flog it coming out from lights to keep up with traffic (when it's moving).

City driving makes a HUGE difference. A 4-speed on the highway also makes a huge difference.

ahh ... 400 km / 50 Litres gives you km/litre ... ie. 8 km/litre (which is 12.5 litres/100km)

Besides the fact that that's a very inaccurate way of doing it ... the accepted way for you, me and everyone else without expensive measuring equipment to do it is:

1. fill up to the first click at the servo
  2. zero your trip counter or record your odometer reading
  3. drive ... drive ... drive
  4. fill up to the first click at the servo (ie. try and fill it to the same level it was before)
  5. record the amount (litres) you've just put in
  6. record the distance travelled since the last time you filled up

now you have an indication of how many litres it takes you to travel a certain distance

Divide the litres by the number of kilometers and then multiply by 100 - this will give you your litres per 100 km number.

Every time you fill up, you'll fill to a slightly different level - so a better way of doing it is to do the calculation across multiple fills and combine the results.

eg. after 4 half tank fills, you'll have travelled around 800 km and will probably have put in around 96 litres ... which would work out at 12 litres / 100 km.

Oh ok, yeah I thought it was wrong. I'm not the most mathematically minded person. I'll do that next time I fill up.

you mentioned that you have the wrong diff - so I (maybe wrongly) assumed you meant you had an auto diff in there.

Either way, what do you mean by "the wrong diff".

If it has a different ratio than original and you haven't changed something else (tyre size, speedo sender) to compensate, your speedo will be wrong and hence your odometer will also be wrong - which will mean that you've used the wrong number of km's in your calculations.

cheers

Yeah, the person who had the car before me changed the gearbox from auto to manual but left the auto diff.

do you find you drive faster or slower than everyone else when your doing 100ish on the highway?

if it was an auto, it would have had longer diff gears wouldnt it?

3.9 vs 4.11 or something

so that would mean ur actually doing more kms than it says.

not by all that much though...

only about 5% say..

do you find you drive faster or slower than everyone else when your doing 100ish on the highway?

3.9 vs 4.11 or something

only about 5% say..

Oh She drives faster, I saw Lexi's car once between Birdwood and Williamstown I couldn't catch it.

oops - editted my mileage claims ...

Just looked back through my records and my milegae varied between 8 and 10 in the ke25 and 9 and 10 in the AE71.

What can I say? My memory isn't what it used to be smile.gif

It didn't seem to matter whether I had the weber in or not though ... at least I was right about that bit!

cheers,

slapper

3.9 vs 4.11 or something

only about 5% say..

I drive about the same as everyone. Well I think. It struggles pretty hard to get to 100 in the first place LOL

Oh She drives faster, I saw Lexi's car once between Birdwood and Williamstown I couldn't catch it.

Ahahaha that most likely wasn't me driving :(