Fuel Economy

Lexxi[ke35]

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your definition of a tank? Convert it to L/100km or km/L to get a better comparison.

When I still had the KE55 (defective fuel gauge and all), it would get around 9-10L/100km (so 550km or so from a full 50L tank, but very rarely pushed it that far for risk of running out, which it did twice), but that was with a stupidly loud and probably crappy exhaust, and flogging the crap out of it (so it could keep up with traffic), entirely city driving too. Although given the gear ratios, freeway driving would probably use more fuel than city driving.

Mine gets around 10 - 10.5L/100km highway driving and around 12L/100km around town, with me driving, and I'm not exactly an old granny. That being said, I have a reground cam, twin SU carburettors and a vacuum leak from the brake booster, and possibly the beginnings of (yet another) set of fouled spark plugs due to the leak.

Yours should definitely get better fuel economy than that. Treat it to a nice all rounded service, see how it goes after that.

Edited by corolla_nut

Ok I just worked it out, I think I get 8L/100km

And that's stock 4k, stock exhaust, although I have the wrong diff, it revs high like mad, would that make a difference?

Seriously, convert to a 5 speed and your fuel economy will be a stack better on the open road, especially since you live out in the sticks and all :P

i get bout 10L/100km in my ke70 with my 4k 4 speed, all ive done is K&N pod and 2 inch exhaust.

that said i do drive like mad. 6000 change 6000 change,

if you want better fuel economy get a 5 speed and if that don't work try a new diff ratio

As said above, get yourself a 5spd (I told you where there are 2)

and get a manual diff in there, thats what i'll be doing. don't worry bout what people say bout extra acceleration. All i seem to do is rev the shit out of it just to keep up.

65 ltr's gets me 375 km, buy that time the fuel light is on and I'm to scared to go beyond, thats about 6km to the litre

it sits on 3000rpm doing 80kmh and about 400-4500 doing 110 when I'm naughty,

this is a 3 speed auto 78 cressida, 2.6 ltr's of fury, very slow but spins 3rd in the wet haha

hope the rolla gets the same or better

i get bout 10L/100km in my ke70 with my 4k 4 speed, all ive done is K&N pod and 2 inch exhaust.

that said i do drive like mad. 6000 change 6000 change,

if you want better fuel economy get a 5 speed and if that don't work try a new diff ratio

Yeah I'm putting a manual diff in there in the holidays probably [she's all cleaned, painted and ready to go, just need the time] and I'll see how it goes. I just don't have the time or money to get a new gearbox at the moment.

Ok I just worked it out, I think I get 8L/100km

8 litres per 100 km is actually pretty good - I'd be tempted to check my calculations!

Have you allowed for the auto diff vs 4 speed manual transmission combo correctly - ie. is your speedo/odo correct?

My experience has been:

KE25 with stock 4k + extractors + weber downdraft + 4 speed varied between 10 and 11.5 litres/100km depending on usage

AE71 stock was about the same

* stock carby vs weber downdraft made negligible difference to economy on both cars.

My L300 van (4wd 2.4 injected) gets 13litres/100 km damn it!! Love the space, but I could do with some better fuel economy!

cheers,

Slapper

edit: I'm an idiot! :jamie:

Just looked back through my records and my milegae varied between 8 and 10 in the ke25 and 9 and 10 in the AE71.

What can I say? My memory isn't what it used to be :)

It didn't seem to matter whether I had the weber in or not though ... at least I was right about that bit!

Edited by slapper