Love Ke70's Hks 1g 2 Door Ke70

love ke70

hey guys

thought it was about time i got serious about a rides thread, seeings as there is alot of dollars going into this car i thought i should atleast boast about it a little :rolleyes:

its kind of a long story, but basically i bought it at the very end of 2005/start of 2006, too long ago, off here as a cheap go fast car.

picked it up for 1300 unregistered with the 1g, W57 and alfa diff all there. blue plated and LPG certed too...

was under the impression it would need a set of turbos and a crossover pipe and it would go.

upon getting it home, i realised just what a mess the whole bloody car was.

RIMG0014.jpg

that was it around the time it came home.

it then spent many months in the shed, while i learnt alot about turbos and tight engine bays and all sorts of other annoying things.

i got it running, and it was soo smokey i switched it off and started on pulling the motor out.

rebuilt it and got the gas system rebuilt and tuned, and was making 150 hp with only 8 pound boost and about 40km on the motor. they wouldnt give it a full power run, or boost it up until it had some miles on it.

the day i was meant to be taking it to get registered, i drove it to the servo to get fuel, and then it would not start again.

after many expletives and so much frustration i wanted to torch it i found this

oilpumppulleys.jpg

oil pump pulley had completely disintegrated, f@$k knows how.

got away with only a destroyed set of factory turbos and replacing the pulley. some how passed roadworthy with turbos that were seized and made horrible screaming noises if you tried to give it any go pedal

so i got it registered but the motor was never happy, it always had a tappety noise, which no one could diagnose, and we put it down to valve springs being f@$ked, as couldnt think of anything else.

i then got a 6 boost manifold made for it ran with RB20 turbos, saving for something larger.

i think i destroyed 4 RB20 turbos, some just wearing out from a shagged oil pump, the last one saw the exhaust wheel find its way to my muffler...gotta love ceramic wheels and gas...

it was at this point i got the shits with the car and de-registered it, planning on a re-shell as one of the rails was breaking at a join and you could feel it flexing under acceloration and cornering, new motor and lots more power.

when i pulled the motor out and apart, i discovered that i had put 2 of the thrust washers in with the soft side facing the block, destroying the crank and the thrust washers, and possible explaining the strange clutch feelings and maybe the other noises, but I'm still not convinced.

i decided i was gonna do the car properly and get a cage done, 6 point weld in and get the motor built by a workshop, go back to petrol just for the ease of power.

got put onto mick at signature performance in ipswich who picked the car up from mine in august 08, had the diff and struts in, and had been sanded, soda blasted and primed.

after about 2 months he finally got under the car and measured everything for straight, all was well except a 4mm bend from the engine crossmember to the bumper on one of the rails, which he can easily fix, and probably came out of the factory like that. so i was stoked with that, as the factory diff that came out of that body had a panhard with a 45* bend in it, bent axle and cracked bearing casing from a gutter hit before i got it.

13082008.jpg

thats where the car was at when it went to the workshop.

so 12 months later, it now looks like this

02062009.jpg

panelvan door hung

17082009054.jpg

door on, pillar gone

17082009055.jpg

the first attempt was to use the 4 door pillar, but the angles don't quite work.

so I'm sacrifcing my panelvan, and we are gonna take the sill, the pillar and half the rear quarter all in one, so everything will be spot on and look factory.

i ahve sourced 2 door quarter glass from the states, so the C pillar will get modified and the original glass fitted. this should result in the car actually being indistinguishable from an original two door. ;)

hopefully things will happen a bit quicker now its started, and it may have rollcage, 2 doors and paint by around christmas time. with the HKS 1g in it, and a base tune, ready for rebuild and power runs ;)

hope i havnt bored anyone too much, i tried to keep it short :D

cheers, andy

Members dont see this ad

i often get asked if i even have a car, so yeah, it was about time i did post something haha

wheels are 15x7 fronts, 15x8 rear

diff is from a 1971 104 berlina, is just over 8" and took a good flogging, but I'm not sure how long it will stay, the 4x108 stud pattern gets on my tits.

might just modify the axles, theyre friggin huge, 27 spline suckers.

front struts are RA60, with adjustable coilovers and koni yellows, and adjustable strut tops, and still struggled to even get 0* camber, so looking at adjustable lower control arms, or swapping to XT130. i like the look of the adjustables though.

feel free to ask anything you might wanna know, i don't keep too much secret

Yes 12 months is long but there was a huge delay with the approval and then the fabricator that was going to do the build fell through so I'm the one doing all the work and if it wasn't for me then the car would probably still be sitting doing nothing.

actually trev, it sat for over 6 months waiting for a cage to go in it as a four door, i got bored of waiting and came up with more ideas, the original plan never involved 2 doors.

the approval only took about 4 or 5 weeks

did you get much more done to it today/yesterday?

actually trev, it sat for over 6 months waiting for a cage to go in it as a four door, i got bored of waiting and came up with more ideas, the original plan never involved 2 doors.

the approval only took about 4 or 5 weeks

did you get much more done to it today/yesterday?

Nah was putting together the 1j and had to do servicing as Pete didn't turn up this week, Hopefully monday.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys, i love the PR cars :lol:

not much to report unfortunately, more excuses from the mechanic, but thats about it

one side of the van has been cut out and trimmed to suit going into the sedan, but thats where it stopped it would seem

thanks guys, i love the PR cars :lol:

not much to report unfortunately, more excuses from the mechanic, but thats about it

one side of the van has been cut out and trimmed to suit going into the sedan, but thats where it stopped it would seem

As I said man, When Pete decides not to come into work I get pulled away from fabrication and have to do servicing & mechanical, He nearly had the last 2 weeks off.