Love Ke70's Hks 1g 2 Door Ke70

love ke70

nah, not really much said

still stands to his guns saying you moved the car out. not my problem at the end of the day, the buck stops with him. when i saw the car once and it was uncovered he said the cover had blown off and was going to recover it, but that never happened. so it was his carelessness really. but we all do silly things when we are busy etc, so I'm not gonna hold a grudge. so long as the cams come up good.

and the flood was almost a blessing. i now have the cars home, and i can run the project and make shit happen, its more legwork for me, but i don't mind, and i get to do most of the assembly, basically how it all started then deviated away once the car got to the workshop and nothing happened, not this time though. its getting done right, and on my timeframe.

the heavens above permitting that is, and theyre not helping i tell ya :lolcry:

I can tell you now that there was never a car cover, good to see you have them home.

Members dont see this ad

so thats sorta how anything in the car came out, alternators, starters, cams, seats, etc

DSCN0847.jpg

DSCN0846.jpg

DSCN0845.jpg

then i pulled the motor down, apart from the cams everything was good, and the cams were not too bad in this motor, definately salvagable, but theyre babies, HKS 248, 7.3 and 256 8.1

before putting anything away it got degreased and pressure cleaned, then what needed to not rust was wd40'd

so should make a nice clean reassembly.

DSCN0851.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg

DSCN0852.jpg

DSCN0854.jpg

then i did the gearbox, which even though had a bunch of water in it, the gearsets had stayed dry, so they were good.

and i think i said thats been rebuilt? :)

DSCN0848.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg

DSCN0850.jpg

then it was the diffs turn, which too has been rebuilt, but there was no water in it, which made me rather happy, considering its a near new crownwheel and pinion. so just needed pinion bearings and the limo reset

DSCN0856.jpg

this is how the cams looked when they came out the car

DSCN0844.jpg

one of them still wrapped from where it had been sent to wade cams and reground, due to a couple of pitted lobes.

as you can see, pretty poor looking, but the mechanic reckoned he could fix it on the lathe with some emory paper, so i had to find out for myself, before taking them to him. so i got some emory paper and had a little go

DSCN0859.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

they cleaned up alright, surprisingly, so i took them to him, and he will finish them, and hopefully they hold out just fine :)

DSCN0857.jpg

bought all new headlights yesterday, might get to fit them this afternoon :)

• 1 month later...

alright,

firstly let me say, i still have not recieved the cams back, nor have i had any response to the texts i sent asking about their progress, so thats pretty much sealed the deal. time to find someone new to do the motor. :glare:

so i did some stuff.

dunno what, its been a gradual process, just nick nacks

and yesterday got the blue plate fitted for ADR compliance. VO1 i think

and to make life easy, instead of fitting a child restraint point in the rear and replacing the seat belts, i just got it blue plated for the seating capacity change at the same time

f@$kIN win! :D

the car is now at a local mechanics and will have its safety certificate inspection tomorrow.

if i was a gambler id say he will ping the leaky muffler, and maybe the dribble of fluid I'm still getting from the rear gear box seal, cause the yoke on the tailshaft is farked, big groove in it. lowered the car a little though, so it might be slid in just past that now, I'm hoping.

so yeah, anyone that knows a really good engine builder and tuning shop, let me know, I'm in the market for a new one unfortunately

alright,

firstly let me say, i still have not recieved the cams back, nor have i had any response to the texts i sent asking about their progress, so thats pretty much sealed the deal. time to find someone new to do the motor. :glare:

so yeah, anyone that knows a really good engine builder and tuning shop, let me know, I'm in the market for a new one unfortunately

So nothing has changed huh.

Bring it to me, we will build it and then take it to PITS to get it tuned.

cams didnt rust thattt quick. the ones in the motor wernt too bad, its the ones that got left in the car for 12 months at least in the weather cause he said he was moving the car out to do some work, and didnt mention it wouldnt be going back inside, or that he would be leaving everything in the car and not covering it.

nothing with this car is ever easy. its all about the journey :laff:

list of things to do:

1.front RHS shock siezed (he said if i wanna put my coil overs etc in, to feel free, just keep the height good)

2. adjust handbrake (few too many clicks, it was good, til i reefed it when i put it on the trailer, and something settled in properly, so thats easy to fix)

3. RHS stop lamp out, (well it wasnt when i checked them :P ) and theres something a little funky going on with the rear lights in general, check earths.

4. exhaust leak, shouldnt be hard...

5. steering idler RHS to be replaced

6. LHS inner tie rod end to be replaced

7. front tyres are a bit shagged.

and i need to get back in touch with the engineer, he didnt put on the mod plate the two seat conversion, but he wrote it on the reciept but no code so i dunno whats goin on there.

but, we have a target now :)

• 2 weeks later...

so on the weekend, which i spent most of working, then fixing the ute.

i got to the corolla.

tail light earth and dead stop light fixed.

exhaust leaks identified, flange from manifold to pipework, and a dirty big crack behind a weld, the thing is ready to fall in half. grr nothing that can't be patched though.

pulled off the steering idler and inner tie rod, got replacements.

getting the tie rod off was a hell of a job!

replaced tie rod

went to replace steering idler, and of course, cause i said match it to a t18, the bracket and everything is backwards, lhd rhd etc

so thats all good i thought, use old bracket, new idler.

wrong, the centre hole was the wrong size. like alot of things on this US car, the stuffs bigger.

and they must have had the thing on the shelf for so long the rubber had perished and just fell to bits.

got around it though, pulled the old rubbers out of the old idler with a spigot bearing puller, fitted them to the new idler, cause it was only the balljoint that was f@$ked, and put it all back together.

win :)

which brought me to the siezed shock, and the seemingly simple idea of swapping the struts.

well, it should be

but i had to go and make it hard, looking at the RA65 steering arms, and got to thinking they would work so much better if i could swap them left to right

anyway, i started a thread on here and one on toymods, and was met with, the angle might not work, and if the angle does work, it will be good for scrub radius.

so measured it up, and decided to give it a try, got to the point of putting the strut in, and discovered te72 strut top bolt pattern doesnt match ke70.

so my adjustable tops don't fit now.

now to decide whether to swap to standard tops, order new adjustables and delay the install and hope i end up using them with the final suspension setup. or just replace the siezed shock in the standard strut and pass rego with that.

then come back to the swapping steering arms left to right game, which i may never get to, as the rest of the suspension and steering conversion will be getting done...

i dunno! haha

alright, so after work on saturday swapped a standard shock in, fixed the flange leak and welded the exhaust, got eveything back together and on its wheels, happy that everything for roadworthy was done.

did a mad burnout in reverse, filled the shed with smoke, and called it a night, deciding the handbrake had jammed on one side.

so this morning i had a play, and after repeatedly doing the same thing i decided it must be a stuck cable, and i had also broken the outer, so without removing the brake shoe i got the cable out, which is easier than it sounds. people that have removed one before will know how fun it is to get the 3 tabs flattened out and through the hole.

stripped a cable out of a spare diff laying around, installed, adjusted and took it for a spin.

lovin life :)

got my 15x7s on the front with toyo t1r, sticks like shit to a blanket :D

• 1 month later...

DSCN0994.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

DSCN0996.jpg

DSCN0997.jpg

so its rego'd :D

its so f@$king slow its pathetic, but i still like driving it. its slower than my old 4k ke70, the auto just makes it feel dead, the auto wont change unless throttle is almost shut, got beaten off the lights by a grandma in a yaris not trying, :lolcry:

car also doesnt like to start once hot, and when i was driving in the rain it was as if the lockout got water in it, and wouldnt recognise i was in park or neutral, just wouldnt turn over.

changed its mind after 5 minutes but i try to not turn it off if i drive it somewhere haha

but owell.

not for long.

gonna contact my engineer and see what capacity i can go up to, seeings as this starting weight is more than a ke70, not sure by howmuch though...

not sure whether to stick with the 1g or not, just due to weight distribution, can always move it back, but its gonna be a big section of firewall to play with.. wanna get it together and just corner weigh, and estimate cage weight and what that will do. can't really build cage til motors in, or not the front section bracing the strut towers anyway. might get the rest done...

dunno if i posted pics of the only way the car does 110?

DSCN0890.jpg

DSCN0887.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

tehe :D