20v Into Ae71.

LittleRedSpirit

whats wrong with the sides bro

Wow, lots of responses for one day.

:P

You can see the lip doesnt meet the wheel arches, but once Ive got some serious wheels under it and the rona arms Ill need to fold the flare out further, most likely from right where the lip begins. Should look a bit neater then.

Thanks for all the responses, people. :lol:

Members dont see this ad
awesome looks like a nice little ae71 I'm guess your going to paint the front white to match?

Yeah I am painting it for sure. I'm gonna do the engine bay and the panels in matching peak white paint which I already have.

Starting to strip it this arvo, but Ill need a break in the weather for that to happen. I wish I had a proper shed.

Ive done a bit on it today.

I cut the crossbrace out of the spare shell since the one in the car is bent down and makes the bonnet sit a bit low.

I cut the bent bit out of the car ready to be replaced. I'm going to make the bit that joins the 2 radiator supports removable.

Ive also stripped it back to just a motor sitting loose in the bay.

All I need to do is undo the gearbox mounts, pop out the tailshaft and undo the clutch line, then the motor and box will be lifted out together. I also washed some of the parts for it and cleaned up the starter which I had disassembled a while back. I scrubbed all the grease and grit off it, and wet and dried the corrosion off the alloy casting. Ill lube it where needed and put it back together tomorrow.

I'm gathering a few more bits to go to the powdercoaters, such as the heat shield from the starter, the stone tray, another set of bonnert hinges, 2 bonnet support posts, and Ill probably do the other mounts and the crossmember I have here once it all comes out.

Hopefully tomorrow the motor and box will be out, and the cleanup of the body for painting can begin. I'm thinking about getting someone to come and sandblast it instead of me sanding it all. Theres a bit of surface rust here and there, and in all the tight places I'm not too keen to try and sand. Since I am spraying it with actual paint from a spraygun I will do a nice effort on the prep, as painful as it is.

Anyone out there have some sandblasting gear they could bring over for a carton?

post-2885-1261815327_thumb.jpg

post-2885-1261815338_thumb.jpg

post-2885-1261815349_thumb.jpg

The motor is out and split from the box. Got another fair heap of bits for the powdercoaters.

Sold my MK2rs on ebay, which I now regret. I got ok money for them but Id like to find another set for myself, which I may widen to 8.5.

I bought some super pro rack bushes and some new rear springs for it. All I really need now is some upper trailing arms that are adjustable.

I'm going to remove the heater core, and most of the dash to make locating the ecu and painting the engine bay easier.

Its not fun but it will be all worth it in the end.

I really need a sandblaster, anybody able to help?

give these guys a call. Ive never used them but it could save you some time ? http://www.asb-qld.com.au/index.html

Hey thanks for that, I most certainly will. Ill get em to do both engine bays most likely and also the wheel arches, since I'm gonna re deaden them on the 2azfe build.

My new steering rack bushes arrived by express post. Should be good, firm the whole show up some. Now I just have to track down my mechanic and see if my steering rack is fixed yet. I wanted him to swap the bush over inside it, or use a better housing to repack it all with and eliminate the one knock in my otherwise awesome front suspension.

I got some bad news today. Ive had a sore back lately, and I went and had an x ray and a ct scan which revealed 2 slightly prolapsed discs at L4 and L5 (right at the bottom above the tail bone).

Sadly the only way to settle it down is to rest it and that may mean leaving the corolla alone for a week or three. I'm not happy. As we all know, working on cars is terrible for your back. However I think the cause of it was the 14 hour days and 7 day a week work that consumed most of November and December.

Grrrrrr. Not good.

Oh well, at least the missus has to do all the work around the house. I had her take a massive load of green waste to the tip today. That was good for a laugh.

So the next thing for this project I guess is to get the soada blasters to come over and sort out the underbody for me, then put some fresh undercoat over the lot. All the heavy stuff like swapping the motors around will have to wait. :)

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

If you need any help I'm always a phone call away, sucks about your back, just when I'm about to throw the small port in mine!

Hey thanks Tim.

Ive been doing light duties on it, cleaning things way too well. Ive cleaned up all the bolts for the bellhousing, both to the box and to the motor, all the bolts that hold the motor in, all the mounts and all the workings of the clutch, starter, all kinds of shit. It will be a mere formality once I'm able to slip it all together.

Wish I could do more. My back is beginning to feel ok, so Ill see how it goes in the next week or so and hopefully make a start soonish.