20v Into Ae71.

LittleRedSpirit

If you want a bit neater finish than rivets, some nutserts in the bonnet and some dome headed allen key bolts looks good too, but that said, rivets are easier and probably close to being as neat.

Would be interesting to see some real comparative temp data (plotted) of the temp with and without the scoop, its probably something alot of torry guys have never really thought about either

Members dont see this ad

I can plot the data from the logs if you really want.

Or I can do a log with it and give you before and after to look at.

I did some more tuning, just to get a higher amount of enrichment when its running cold and you are using the throttle. It seems to need less enrichment when idling compared to once you start driving it.

I also detected some pinging and wound back the timing at 36%tps vs 3000 rpm and that fixed it.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Lucky I just washed it yesterday then. :lovin:

Tonight I went to my shed and fiddled with the car.

I refitted the missing glovebox and kick panel, fitted a left side mirror after I broke the old one right off, and re-upholstered the left A pillar trim with matching brown vinyl.

I have also adjusted the handbrake a little, and polished the wheels.

I'm thinking about putting a different lip on it. Maybe RA40 style. I want to try a colour matched one for a different look.

I spent some time spreading the corolla love at Tims place down the road. Today we got his freshly built car from a barely start able state to running quite well. Basically just did some experiments and set the base timing. It was lean for a while then we found that the base timing was out and then we were able to get it running nice. Ive written a map from scratch for it so hopefully it drives well enough to give Tim a base to tune from with the wideband.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had the timing belt changed, it was getting a little slack and rubbing on part of the 4af waterpump that I'm running. The metal in the way was just a cast rib at the top edge of the water pump. Its been snapped off and its all perfect again now.

Also did a spanner check and found some missing engine mount bolts. Put them in and it feels super crisp again.

I've also run a few loads of diesel Penrite to clean the inside of the engine (diesel oil has extra detergents to clean the shit out). I'm glad I did, it turned a lot of the sludge in the motor to a gel and it got caught in the oil filter. I even pulled off the top cover and the black scale in the head is now beginning to peel off to reveal nice silver aluminium around the edges where the sludge used to gather. So now I've changed over to full synthetic Penrite and hopefully that stays cleaner for longer.

ʞ©$ɟing handbrake is out of adjustment again. I might need to invest in new pistons for the calipers some day. You just cannot win with Toyota rear brakes. I could forgo the cable and run a hydraulic handbrake I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So, I was driving around today and hit a bit of planed road that was a very sharp bump. Nett result being my extractors are cracked and sh sounds like a diesel. They were some really old ones anyhow, I'm a little surprised they lasted this long.

Ive booked it in to have Rick Sendall make new ones next week.