5th Gear Jumps Back To Neutral

mcardo99

Members dont see this ad
After fully engaging 5th gear, on the highway, after a few seconds it jumps back to neutral. Doesn't happen with any other gear, only 5th.

Anyone know what it could be?

Nothing in the car has changed.

Any info would be appreciated.

Might help if you tell us what car, engine and gearbox you have.....

if you hold it in place does it stay? if there is load on the engine (accellerating or decellerating) does it stay? does it physically push the gearstick back out of gear or does it slip loosely out of gear?

Internal gearbox problems either way, just working out what exactly is causing it...

Robert.

It's a 1996 corolla ae102 motor 7A-FE with stock 5-speed tranny.

Yes it stays, I hold it softly with my index finger and that's all it takes for it not to jump back to neutral. The stick moves back and forth slightly, almost unnoticeable, as I step on accelerator and release respectively. After engaging 5th, if I accelerate making the stick move back slightly, will make it jump back to neutral.

I've taken the center console off and seen the shifter assembly, but didn't dear take anything apart. Do you guys think this is something in the shifter assembly, like a spring in a locking mechanism or someting? or would it be internal in the transmission gearbox?

thanks for the time!

Edited by mcardo99

It's a 1996 corolla ae102 motor 7A-FE with stock 5-speed tranny.

Yes it stays, I hold it softly with my index finger and that's all it takes for it not to jump back to neutral

So it'll have a C52. I know the C52s in AE82 Twincams have a tendency to pop the lever out of 5th gear, but never had the problem in either my AE82 or my AE102.

I'm willing to bet its detent springs regardless :)

Seconded.. Detent balls are small, spring-loaded ball-bearing's that are above the gear selector forks. The selector forks have a small notch taken

out of it for the detent ball to slide into when put in gear, which gives the distinct "clicking" sound and feel.

I'd recommend taking it to a transmission shop/mechanic and getting them to sort it out as they are quite fiddly (this goes for gearboxes in general)

to get in/out/fix etc. Wouldn't have a CLUE on price but I'm sure it wouldn't be more than about $250 at MAX.

OR

Search around and buy a second-hand, good-condition gearbox for probably the same amount or less. A good idea would be to ask people wrecking

cars on here as they tend to sell them a decent amount cheaper.

there should be a series (maybe three of them) of bolts on the gearbox somewhere, if you take them out, carefully, there should be a spring and ball bearing under each one... check the springs aren't broken and the ball bearings are there and aren't worn overly much...

if that doesn't fix your problem you will need to pull the gearbox out of the car, dismantle, and probably replace the selector hub, three little tabs, and the springs that keep them in place. Good idea while its apart to lap the synchros in with a little bit of valve grinding paste. be sure to mark everything as to how it is all fitted because a lot of the time things look the same front and rear but are slightly different and you won't be able to get gears properly if you put a hub in back to front. make sure each gear fully engages before reassembly.

of course this is NOT for the faint of heart...

Robert.

there should be a series (maybe three of them) of bolts on the gearbox somewhere, if you take them out, carefully, there should be a spring and ball bearing under each one... check the springs aren't broken and the ball bearings are there and aren't worn overly much...

if that doesn't fix your problem you will need to pull the gearbox out of the car, dismantle, and probably replace the selector hub, three little tabs, and the springs that keep them in place. Good idea while its apart to lap the synchros in with a little bit of valve grinding paste. be sure to mark everything as to how it is all fitted because a lot of the time things look the same front and rear but are slightly different and you won't be able to get gears properly if you put a hub in back to front. make sure each gear fully engages before reassembly.

of course this is NOT for the faint of heart...

Robert.

Sounds solid. I'll post the results when done. And hopefully I'll also take pictures. I've seen a few other people asking the same question all over the internet about different gears jumping.

Thank you Robert and the rest of you for your time.

I found this site with rebuild kits for 1992-2002 corolla's with the C52 tranny. What do you guys think? expensive? Could I just get these springs and balls from the local auto parts store?

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ma...erhaul_kit.html

OR

Ebay has what the image shows. I don't see the springs or balls. Which of these are the synchros?

post-9503-1256092336_thumb.jpg

Edited by mcardo99

I found this site with rebuild kits for 1992-2002 corolla's with the C52 tranny. What do you guys think? expensive? Could I just get these springs and balls from the local auto parts store?

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ma...erhaul_kit.html

OR

Ebay has what the image shows. I don't see the springs or balls. Which of these are the synchros?

I don't know what types of rebuild kits you can get but that looks like a bearing and seal rebuild kit? (In the photo)

OK. I contacted John from Cobra Transmissions

John said

It sounds like you need to replace the synchros. Here is a link to our web site with the parts we carry for the C-50: http://cobratransmission.com/index.php?mai...th=2_2052

What do you guys think?

P.S. Would a 2002 1.8L Corolla C50 transmission fit my 7A-FE engine? Would the bolts align?

And this is my last post in this thread :) Unless I get pictures of the whole thing put appart and the kit itself sometime soon.

Thank you!

Edited by mcardo99