Your Corolla

Teddy

Hmm soaped maybe, but my opinion stands.

I hate manuals. HATE with capitals even.

The idea with going fast is having the power connected to the ground. In a manual, you spend a significant amount of time in neutral with the engine doing nothing.

That said, 9 times out of ten i would take a KE55 5spd over a KE55 3spd auto.

But after driving a new Echo Auto, oh boy i likem de autoze.

Just slides between gears with ease, and damn fast too.

And anyway, who mates a manual to something with real big power anyway.

The drag boys know this thats why nearly all top fuellers/doorslammers are autos.

Cos you need the POWER to the GROUND.

But hey, each to their own. They both have their uses, I certainly wouldnt be rallying in an auto.

Nor would i be buying a manual Commodore.

I come from a BIG auto background. I didn't know what a manual was until i went in my uncles ute when I was 9.

Quote from Qld Govt Taxi Legislation (or as close as i can remember) on the requirement that all Cabs are Autos

"It would be unfair to subject a paying customer to a unsatisfactory ride such as that of a manual transmission"

Manuals are novel, but outdated, slow and Way too much effort.

I don't really hate manuals. Its clutches i really hate. I would really like a clutchless manual that did the changing for me. Oh wait on, thats an auto!

Edited by Mr Hardware

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked a rather large range of cars. In fact, you could name pretty much any car and I can come back with at least one thing I think it's got going for it. Corolla's have always had a fairly high level of appeal to me, but not necessarily more than other cars. The 4A engines have always interested me (more so than the Corollas they went in really). I did get bitten by the Initial-D bug and would have loved to have bought an AE86, but the prices put me right off.

So when I was offered a KE55 with a 4A-GZE for $1,500 I was quite interested as I had some money in my bank account that I had been planning to use on my Galant, but with the offer of a quicker car available so cheaply, I couldn't pass it up. Now I've gained a bit more interest in Corollas, and would love a TE27, a RE25, and probably an AE86. But while I plan on keeping my current Corolla forever, I don't for a minute consider just having Corollas in my life. I'd love an R32 GTR, a 3.0L Porsche 944, an E46 BMW M3, an E30 BMW M3, an E24 BMW M6, an E34 BMW M5, an E39 BMW M5, a Ferrari 360 Modena, a Ferrari 360 Spider, a Ferrari 430 Monza, a Ferrari 430 Spider, a Ferrari 250GT SWB, etc, etc. And some of these cars (toward the start of the list) I might even be able to afford one day!

Suzuki JWRC car has a dog box with a flat change setup that would kill any auto, and you didn't have to use the clutch, shift time .2 milliseconds.

6 speed Sequential, i'd love one for the corolla.

it'd put an erection on a jellyfish. :)

i have to admit my first car was an 1982 celica after that one was involved in an accident that turned it into malten metal i bounced around in a lot of different cars but always had a soft spot for small rear wheel drive toyotas so when i waas offerd the corolla pnel van i jumped at it it started as something that was different it already had an engine conversion done to it so i had a little fun with it till i had to much fun and damaged the motor (whoops) so off the road it came and the full ground up bare metal rebuild has begun (not something i recomend if your not sure what you are doing) so far the only problems i have found is that the engine conversion was done by a blind man who has no regard for human life i am lucky the motor didnt fall out of the front of my car but none the less i love the car it has enormous potential and can't wait to get back behind he wheel but in the mean time just keeping an eye out for another corolla to get around in :down:

I can relate to that hush. My lil' Lola's engine mount rubbers were completely disintigrated when I got her, and working on her can be an absolute bitch due to the fact that the KE55 was not designed with the 4A-GZE & T50 in mind. I've lost about five nuts and bolts down between the supercharger and the engine, and getting the gearbox off was such a trial. There are two bolts at the top of the bellhousing where it connects to the engine and it was a real struggle to get at them. Probably spent about half an hour just undoing those two!!!

ancullen: I feel your pain. I'm on my 6th gearbox in just over a year. You'd think I'd be really good at changing gearboxes now, but those two stupid bolts are still the bane of my existance!!!

6th!?!?! Bugger me! Your hands must be so cut and scratched up! Plus if you're that hard on gearboxes, have you considered bashing your floorpan around a bit and putting in a W5x?

ok so manual transmission are outdated. So is sex. Sure you can artificially get it perfect but why would you want to? Where is the soul?! Manual transmissions are an extremely fun way to drive and the new and really good autos can compete with them but I for one don't want an auto.

Manual RWD in the wet. Thankyou.

It's not *just* the gearbox that is expensive. There's also the bellhousing, and then I also need to get the tailshaft redone, and I need to get the correct clutch combination, etc etc etc. The cost just adds up, in a very big hurry.

Really, what I'd like to do is get a T50 that's been properly rebuilt and run that. If I break that (and I have serious doubts if I would) then I'll know for sure that T50s aren't strong enough. But considering I know quite a few AE86's running close to 200hp through their T50's and doing clutch dumps everywhere (bloody drift cars) and still holding up, I really don't see why my 69hp should tear up gearboxes so much. I blame getting dodgy 2nd hand boxes as the problem.