January 7, 201016 yr comment_403547 I can't remember what the hell I was cruising for when I came across this site, but it got me thinking.. I've certainly seen some badly made filters, but I've never looked inside one. On the Altezza I only ever use genuine Toyota ones, and I'm going to do the same with the KE after reading this! http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html Has anyone got stories of damage caused by dud filters or reasons about which ones to buy? Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403558 can we still buy a genuine 4k oil filters? i heard some were they had a anti drain back valve? help getting oil pressure when cold? Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403564 generally original oem oil filters have anti drain back valves as far as i know which are better for startup and oil pressure, they cost hardly any more than aftermarket in the toyotas... Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403576 After 20 years of raping all manner of vehicles, most with aftermarket filters, I can honestly say I have never had a single issue. Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403596 whats better for oil pressure when cold? 1 - quickly blimping the throttle to get oil pressure 2 - just start it and let it idle 3 - start and choke? i normally do the first one Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403615 After 20 years of raping all manner of vehicles, most with aftermarket filters, I can honestly say I have never had a single issue. About the same. But then again i tend to only use Ryco products. And from the Ryco site. http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/faqs What is an anti drain back valve? It stops oil from draining out of filter and oil galleries when the engine is shut down and aids quick flow of oil to engine on start up. Not all filters require anti drain back valve due to the construction of the engine. Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403623 I've had more than a fair share of dramas with ryco, there was a faulty batch that split around where the housing crimped onto the end piece, at least one dumped enough oil to stuff the bearings :lolcry: I'm not too sure about aftermarket cartridge filters either having had horrible dramas with faulty filters for peugeot dw10bted4 engines and horrible dramas with an audi q7 v6 tdi filter.... All filters have an "anti drain back valve" these days.... how well it works is another story. I'm not too sure that I'm sold on the pf34 ac delco filters that I currently have either. Probably go back to either ryco, or a nippon max something or other that fits, anybody using a z432 or maybe a z63 on a 4k? Robert. Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403693 I used to use Z9's on my 3K. :lolcry: LOL! We put those on Range Rovers. They're like 3 times the size of a z68. What was your reasoning for using z9s?? Was there any benefit from it? Or did you just have them handy and close by? Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403733 some years ago i did use a ryco or similar without anti drain back valve as i found out as it took ages for the oil light to come on, so i think ill stick with genuine :lolcry: seems in that article they all have bypass and drain back valves but even so if they are a crap design or poor materials / construction then its not going to help in the long run... Edited January 7, 201016 yr by styler Report
January 7, 201016 yr comment_403734 Z9 is probably pretty common isn't it? Falcons or some ford? Genuine toyota ones are only 10 bucks or so anyway. whats better for oil pressure when cold? 1 - quickly blimping the throttle to get oil pressure 2 - just start it and let it idle 3 - start and choke? i normally do the first one I would just start it and let it idle/choke it. Blipping = more engine load while oil pressure is low. You do the math. Report
January 9, 201016 yr comment_404087 There was a Toyota bulletin out last year some time that I saw at work. Something to do with ryco and other non-gen filters failing in some engines...can't really remember it that well. Report
January 10, 201016 yr comment_404378 redwarf, how did the z9 go as far as oil pressure on startup? they have a pretty good anti drain valve in them because the aftermarket z9's had such a bad rep for poor oil pressure at startup when they first came out, and they fit every falcon 6 cylinder up until the bf (which takes a z516) so everybody lifted their game.... Toyota in Orange don't stock the filter for a 4k engine :jamie: I was thinking about using something different, maybe a z418, or a z386, or even the z9 in a nippon max flavour, they seem to be closest to oem parts. Robert. Report
January 10, 201016 yr comment_404383 I can next time I change my filter chop it open to have a look at it, its a ryco Report
January 10, 201016 yr comment_404387 redwarf, how did the z9 go as far as oil pressure on startup? they have a pretty good anti drain valve in them because the aftermarket z9's had such a bad rep for poor oil pressure at startup when they first came out, and they fit every falcon 6 cylinder up until the bf (which takes a z516) so everybody lifted their game.... Toyota in Orange don't stock the filter for a 4k engine :y: I was thinking about using something different, maybe a z418, or a z386, or even the z9 in a nippon max flavour, they seem to be closest to oem parts. Robert. Never really had any issues (that said I never had an oil px guage...). There were a number of us doing it at the time, as a mate was a mechanic, and he used to get 6 for about $10. :jamie: They were cheap, they had a huge surface area, and they marginally increase oil capacity. Worked well. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now