? Microtech's ? How Are They Set Up ?

RND.IGO

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best example would be a tuner I know who went from complaining about them a year or 2 back to raving about them with all the refinements over the last year, ranking them up there with haltechs and motecs. Andy Wyatt was originally doing the adaptronic ECU as a 1 man band, but now there's 3 new engineers on the case and they've come a long way in a very short timeframe. My current adaptronic is still on the shelf waiting for me to get the 3SGE going, but I've seen litleredspirits car run smoother and smoother over the last few firmware updates, its behaviour 2 years ago compared to now is indescribable with words. I just like that they care enough about selling a quality product that they don't charge for any firmware updates.

Greenmac, I just googled "microtech cold start" and there is talk that people bag microtechs because most people don't set them up, and that was on an MT4... I think half the problems people get with an ECU is the tuner being inexperienced with every ECU.

hmm last time i looked at the specs i didn't see 'cold start enrichment' in the feature although i'm more than happy to be corrected. as they are reasonably cheap.

but for a little bit more money you could get an EMS stinger which has plenty of features and plenty of support. kinda in between $$$ value.

The best example would be a tuner I know who went from complaining about them a year or 2 back to raving about them with all the refinements over the last year, ranking them up there with haltechs and motecs. Andy Wyatt was originally doing the adaptronic ECU as a 1 man band, but now there's 3 new engineers on the case and they've come a long way in a very short timeframe. My current adaptronic is still on the shelf waiting for me to get the 3SGE going, but I've seen litleredspirits car run smoother and smoother over the last few firmware updates, its behaviour 2 years ago compared to now is indescribable with words. I just like that they care enough about selling a quality product that they don't charge for any firmware updates.

Greenmac, I just googled "microtech cold start" and there is talk that people bag microtechs because most people don't set them up, and that was on an MT4... I think half the problems people get with an ECU is the tuner being inexperienced with every ECU.

thank you mate i spoke to andy a few years back an it was the knock sensor feature that got me..

Microtech is good. Main reason for being cheaper is the less option and less aux ports. But as I have been pointed out by someone in the know. That you don't need all the extra aux points. So your forking out the extra $1,000 plus for stuff that your not going to use.

But as said either find a tuner that specializes in the ecu you have. Or choose a tuner and get the ecu they recomend. Or if you need alot of aux point and what not make sure you get one that will support that.

I will be running an lt12s in my vl and lt10s in my corolla and going to Anthony at Maztech in Melbourne for my tunes. He is an absolute wizz with a microtech :happy:

have been told time and time again that people only say microtech is shit cause they don't know how to tune them. That is what I've been told by a few people in the know

microtechs don't have cold start function. which can be a real pain.

hmm last time i looked at the specs i didn't see 'cold start enrichment' in the feature although i'm more than happy to be corrected. as they are reasonably cheap.

but for a little bit more money you could get an EMS stinger which has plenty of features and plenty of support. kinda in between $$$ value.

ok fellas, enough talking crap.

http://www.microtechefi.com/software/ltmanual.pdf

read it

page 22 reads:

Screen 20: Water

The Water function varies the fuel supply dependent upon engine temperature to assist with

warm-up and maintain ideal running conditions as the engines requirements change. The MT

ECU senses the engine coolant temperature (or engine head temp on air-cooled motors) and

applies the correction factor set in the Water function screen closest to the actual temperature.

The MT ECU will increase or decrease the injector open time by the amount set in the Water

function screens.

· For optimum results, the Water function should not be set up until after the other main functions of the MT ECU.

etc etc

ok fellas, enough talking crap.

http://www.microtechefi.com/software/ltmanual.pdf

read it

page 22 reads:

Screen 20: Water

The Water function varies the fuel supply dependent upon engine temperature to assist with

warm-up and maintain ideal running conditions as the engines requirements change. The MT

ECU senses the engine coolant temperature (or engine head temp on air-cooled motors) and

applies the correction factor set in the Water function screen closest to the actual temperature.

The MT ECU will increase or decrease the injector open time by the amount set in the Water

function screens.

· For optimum results, the Water function should not be set up until after the other main functions of the MT ECU.

etc etc

fair enough but was that really necessary. like i said in the specs when you look at buying it it doesn't say 'cold start enrichment' didn't realise it was a built in function. other ecu's i've looked at have a specific function relating to cold start. What youve quoted there states the MT series ecu, what about the LT series.

Anyway proven wrong cheers, Opens up more avenues in terms of engineering here in sa.

Edited by greenmac80

Microtech is good. Main reason for being cheaper is the less option and less aux ports. But as I have been pointed out by someone in the know. That you don't need all the extra aux points. So your forking out the extra $1,000 plus for stuff that your not going to use.

But as said either find a tuner that specializes in the ecu you have. Or choose a tuner and get the ecu they recomend. Or if you need alot of aux point and what not make sure you get one that will support that.

I will be running an lt12s in my vl and lt10s in my corolla and going to Anthony at Maztech in Melbourne for my tunes. He is an absolute wizz with a microtech :happy:

have been told time and time again that people only say microtech is shit cause they don't know how to tune them. That is what I've been told by a few people in the know

i Used to run a Microtech fuel only ecu on a highly modded 4k for about 6years and could never get it to run

100%. The above mentioned tuner couldnt even set the timing and cannot hear pinking. which was the main

problem i was having. The ecu was then 'upgraded' to laptop programmable and was still unable to tune

properly. Would always run rich and ping under heavy load, eventually glazing bores from fuel wash.

Anyway enough of my whinge , think i will stick with carbs

Hope you have better results than i did

fair enough but was that really necessary. like i said in the specs when you look at buying it it doesn't say 'cold start enrichment' didn't realise it was a built in function. other ecu's i've looked at have a specific function relating to cold start. What youve quoted there states the MT series ecu, what about the LT series.

Anyway proven wrong cheers, Opens up more avenues in terms of engineering here in sa.

hmm yeah sorry my flaming was a little premature.

but I'm just not a fan of products being flamed that arent correct. see it so much on forums!

also you are correct about the MT/LT thing. the manual is called the LT manual, but yeah it sais MT in the description. so who knows...

also there is this option as well,

Screen 22: Crank

The Crank function varies fuel supply while cranking the engine to assist with starting. When

the MT ECU detects the engine being cranked, it adds the amount of fuel set in the Crank

screen for the current temperature

hmm there is also this one too

Af_StE

The After Start Enrichment function supplies additional fuel for a short period after starting the engine to

assist with initial engine warm-up and to prevent leaning out as engine conditions normalise. This option

allows you to set the amount of additional fuel to be supplied

this manual is so confusing that its definately not wanting me to buy a microtech!!

Hence the reason of needing a good tuner.

They are a basic ECU and are priced accordingly (trade price - rrp is a ripoff)

Comparing the latest versions of the ecu with a fuel only version with trim pots to tune is just stupid.

Edited by cuzzo

don't quote me on this but i believe i read something about a cold start in my user manual. I'm not saying buy a microtech, there are plenty of great ecu's out there but don't let hearsay testimonials change your decision. my advice go and talk to a good tuning shop. btw i got an email from microtech last week and the cost to change over model is $400.

don't quote me on this but i believe i read something about a cold start in my user manual. I'm not saying buy a microtech, there are plenty of great ecu's out there but don't let hearsay testimonials change your decision. my advice go and talk to a good tuning shop. btw i got an email from microtech last week and the cost to change over model is $400.

edit" i clearly did not read the posts above mine :happy: