4k-c Turbo Build!

Jaydnisevil

New pump is in, will buy some 7.5mm EFI hose today and hopefully have her running again :)

*edit*

Pump is in and doing wonderfully :)

Iv ran the hoses underneath the car so they are a bit neater, power is coming from the de-mister so I can override it from the dash (No the demister isn't running all the time, its on a new switch)

Fuel pressure has dropped to an acceptable limit of 4psi :)

The only thing remaining is to move the coil and or regulator further appart, that and cover my shame in the boot :P

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Members dont see this ad

Relocated the pressure regulator to its underneath the coil to reduce fire risk :P

Its only just roughly hooked up as I was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes -_-.

Will neaten things up next opportunity I get.

IMG_1766.jpg

Very quick picture, iPhone does a shit job at night, the flash doesn't stay on long enough to focus correctly.

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Quite a bit done today.

Starting with modification of the oil pressure fuel pump kill relay.

With the quick set-up I had, there was always a faint glow from the oil light. So I re-jigged and relocated things and to inside the cabin.

Now it all works perfectly :) Iv taken the relay and its wires into the cabin near the fuse box to try and neaten the engine bay a little.

Iv also tidied up the hoses and what not, with slight changes from the last picture.

Bad photo, but you get the jist.

IMG_1796.jpg

Now the best part is iv made a boost retard limiter.

Was getting late in the day, didn't take any photos so iv done a spectacular paint image :P

boostlimiter.jpg

In short I filed down a washer that was secured to this bolt so that it was eccentric.

So a simple T-25 I can adjust how much the points plate twists :)

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

Also fixed the wiring for my coil and the starter issue I was having earlier.

Turns out it was a bad 12v supply after all. The wires that go from the front box to the starter also supply the cabin with power.

The wire core is far too small for everything to run off. Put a more permanent 12v line into the cabin circuit.

Iv also hooked up my vacuum accelerator pump to the manifold which seems to help with off idle what response (well not under load Anywho)

It was connected to the vacuum advance port as was the boost retart and FPR, but it seemed to be too delayed.

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Found out that at the current position, it dials out 12-15degrees of timing :)

It does this at 3psi which is a tad early for my liking, its alright but a little early.

I could just put a hole in the hose to slow up the boost retard, that or use a long hose or expansion chamber.

By the time the boost pod has seen 3psi the manifold will be at 12-15psi

Have not decided on running boost level yet, I'm thinking 12 MPSI for running about. Id be very content with 14MPSI

Iv also removed the mechanical fuel pump today, put a new piece of aluminium in its place. And neatened up some more hoses on the wategate side.

Picked up a like new 2001 GC8 Sti seat off ebay for $70 in spectacular condition :)

Yes I know a fixed back would be better, but I know these are comfortable even on long distance.

Modified the seats rail's already and will be attaching the adapter to the original rail.

IMG_1813.jpg

Ill buy some steel and get busy welding and bracketing this week hopefully :)

Should look something like IMG_1812.jpg

Edited by Jaydnisevil

• 3 weeks later...

I told photobucket to re-size my photos, but it often takes a while so apologies for the massive pictures.

I'm being slack at the moment, trying to save money.

Few weeks back:

The seat was ready to go in, but when lining it up for welding/bolting we discovered 193cm of me would not fit in the car with the backrest straight up (How I like to sit)

One click back was ok, but my head would hit the roof with any small bump; In short, sadly I will not be using the above seat.

Instead Ill just use it as an office chair, maybe weld it to some wheels later :P

I'm in the process of locating a seat with a lower base that I can use, I might have a friend selling his old one, but am yet to see if its shallow enough.

The weeks just gone:

I'v been working on setting up my thermofan system.

I stumbled across an article a while back on Autospeed about a particular temperature controller.

http://www.autospeed...17/article.html

For $25 I was sold, off to ebay I went and got one.

Powered it up, works great, good features.. for $25 delivered I couldn't be happier. (Especially given temp switches alone can be more than that)

Came with a little thermistor, so then came the task of deciding how I would incorporate this into the cooling system.

Skipping to the final idea I found that the thermistor fitted snugly in an airline securing nut for a 164ML airmatic pump system.

Ill do my best to explain the actual design.

That airmatic fitting has little seals internally (Possibly nylon) along with a countersunk section at the very bottom (Like half an olive join) to which an O-ring can sit.

IMG_1863.jpg

So I simply inserted it, found a small O-ring and that part was ready to go.

IMG_1864.jpg

I purchased a fitting that would thread into where the old temperature controlled vacuum tee was, so I drilled all the way through with a 4mm bit, and half way with a 7mm bit to give it a step.

IMG_1865.jpg

Borrowed an applicable tap from somebody and threaded that 7mm hole. I then screwed the top half into the main plug and the force exerted on the O-ring was sealing the sensor (also making it impossible to pull out)

IMG_1866.jpg

Installed

IMG_1869.jpg

I noticed that airflow from the fan would pull a few degrees off the reading, assuming this was due to the heat conduction through the brass, I just put a bit of electrical wire condute over the top to divert the air around.

Helped, but not like a few degrees would have mattered.

IMG_1874.jpg

Anywho its mounted in the dash but I'm really starting to hate the look of the interior.

I think ill remove the lot and make a new dash, (when I put a different motor in it) one where I don't have to look for suitable areas to mount things; they will all have their own spot and hopefully look a little neater.

But for now, it works :)

Ill grab a thermofan from somewhere, wire in a relay and should be good.

Its set about 88degrees if I recall with a +5 hysteresis.

Should kick in around 93 degrees, and turn off at 88; I wanted it somewhere around the middle of the cluster temperature gauge.

I HIGHLY recommend this little unit, fantastic buy.

Edited by Jaydnisevil

• 4 weeks later...

Seat is in, became much more of a hassle due to my long ass legs -_- but it's in.

Unregistered vehicle permit filed today, so legally back on the road :)

Took her for a drive and at anything under 6psi it drives wonderfully, slow but it drives.

Still need to add my second EFI pump, the lift pump cannot supply enough line pressure to keep fuel in the carby lol.

at 9psi it gets completely starved of fuel after a short run at what :P

^^ How the hell do you turn off autocorrect, it insists that the abbreviation for Wide open throttle is a mistake, and that "What" is what I actually meant to write.

Might as well look into surge tanks while I'm at it, will need one eventually.

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Hooked up the secondary pump for diagnosis, and sure enough it works. Only problem is now I have very high fuel pressures..

Tried restricting it which helped but id rather do it properly.

No getting around this one, I'm going to have to install a larger diameter return line.

The car drives though, pumping out around 11mpsi atm, probably settle around 12-13.

Running lean though, never used to do that so will have to address that after the fuel system is correctly setup.

By lean I mean like 14-15psi, not where near like the old 17-18psi, ill see how things go.

Drove again today and fixed a few things :)

The turbo hat screw down bracket was bending (Being Aluminium), so I cut out and migged up a steel one. (Sorry again no pictures, too enthusiastic putting it in :P)

Mixtures seem to have dropped again with the leaks fixed, and boost pressure (Obviously) has gone up :)

Iv left it around 11-12mpsi for the moment, but its easily reaching that even with my small air filter on there.

Occasional splutter when I nail the throttle, but I suspect that's because the mech pump is a tad too big for this motor.

Anywho mixtures peaked at 14.1:1 and sit around 13:1 even at full boost, timing it still severely reduced, but its around 9seconds from a idle rolling bog start to 100 :)

Video uploading.

• 2 weeks later...

Mixture's sorted, next step is to correctly install the secondary pump correctly I suppose. I'm at training this week and there is a fitting and hose store down the road. Ill see what they have.

Ignition timing is better, but still not advanced enough, even at 14psi and lean mixtures there was not a hint of detonation. Ill have to tinker with that this weekend I suppose.

I dropped it back to 10psi and corrected the mixtures again for a small video, just doing a quick bog what sprint:

th_IMG_2090.jpg

Found an section of exhaust gasket that was thin had blown out, so losing boost pressure on the way back. Will break out the mig and weld up the adapter plate to the exhaust manifold.

IMG_2098.jpg

Ignition timing is now set where I want it :)

Mixtures are still lean because the fuel system is in beta.

When I install the larger return line, I can set it up correctly.

Still she drives well at 12psi :)

Flat road, half a tank, what second gear-3rd

http://youtu.be/qfUTmafFhms

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Cheers, she's not bad for a 1.3L with 28years and 200,000kms under her belt :P

Anywho I'll be getting some 10mm pipe for the return line this week. I cannot get the mixture's where I need them until I have a stable fuel supply.

At high boost it cannot make enough fuel pressure because I had to restrict the supply given the lowest point was around 11psi.

Ohh and I got pulled over today -_-

I was going down my back road towards gunnamatta beach (90kph road with no house's) and drove past a black station wagon headed the other way and though here we go.

So I pulled up at the end of the road, fiddled with my fuel supply settings for a little bit in hopes they would have kept driving. Drove off and up the road that wagon was pulled over to the left, cruised past and sure enough off he went again (Real subtle guys) Pulled myself over just they flicked the lights on and had a chat with them.

From what they told me, my Unregistered vehicle permit did not cover what I asked Vicroads to cover. Luckily they were nice enough to not fine me for doing the right thing and buying a permit -_-

So Ill ring Vicroads tomorrow and give them an earfull for not putting the "Other" condition which I specifically said was the purpose for my permit.

Lucky me.

Edited by Jaydnisevil

The summary of my call to Vicroads:

Vicpol didn't know what they were talking about :P

Most likely they skim read the document stuck to my window and had no prior knowledge on the permit.

An exert from my permit:

"A. Highways *

The vehicle can be used on highways* for any of the following purposes:

1. To take the vehicle from its place of acquisition to the residence or garaged address nominated on the permit of the person who

acquired it.

2. Use the vehicle in daytime between sunrise and sunset in the course of obtaining any necessary repairs, modifications or

testing to obtain a Certificate of Roadworthiness, a Vehicle Identity Validation certificate or a Vehicle Assessment Signatory

Scheme Approval Certificate, or to meet the requirements of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009.

I was told that because I have intentions of getting classic historic or street rod rego, testing is a valid reason.

If I have no intentions of getting it registered, then that would just be the matter of a different permit.

In fact, she was surprised as to why I was pulled over in the first place.

NOTE: * Highways (roads and road related areas) "

Edited by Jaydnisevil