The Girl's Ke70

altezzaclub

• 4 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Well, bro 'n I went to Bathurst for the V8Supercars, then I ran him up to Coolangatta. The 60series tyres were on the back going up, but we went to Armidale via the flat inland road with a tailwind, so the trip up was 1000km at 6.8L/100. It was a little squirmy in the rear, but I wasn't sure if it was lack of grip or bump steer from more sticky tyres, certainly I expected the 60series to be better than the 70series.

We swapped the wheels to big ones on the back and small ones on the front up there, and I went back to Armidale to fetch The Girl from Uni. This was a climb up through the twisties from sea level to a few thousand feet, and then we had a headwind back to Orange. The big tyres on the back dropped the revs, but turned in 7.7L/100km, all on United 95octane.

The worst thing was the tyres! The 60series have worse grip than the 70's, so Maxxis are just not as good as cheap Falkens. The increase in understeer was quite noticeable. Still, they'll do while I decide what diff to use, 13" or 14" rims, which tyres to buy.

• 2 months later...

A quick update- The 60series stay on the back and I'll have a think about tyres later. The wrecker will have a half-worn pair for the front so all 4 run out together and can get replaced. There is a 4.1 Celica banjo diff head in the garage that needs reassembling with a new seal, so I can run 70series tyres with that OK.

The complicating factor is the companion for The Girl's KE70 that I bought yesterday-

post-7544-0-98485600-1389685460_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-65128300-1389685477_thumb.jpg

The Golden Girl is an auto, so I have a 4.3 in there.. The 14X6 mags can go on there with tall tyres, and the factory mags can go on The Girl's car with small tyres... Arrgh.. better start a new build thread and plan what happens to each one- 5K pistons, quad carbs, 4AGE motors, different cams, diffs, tyres, shocks...

Another lovely car, in similar condition to The Girl's KE70, both 1983 but one's a CS and one's an XX.

So now I have one of my own!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'll update this one and see how we go on a new thread...

The last trip up to the farm was to finish getting the Celcia ready for the final rally of the year, and it included a trip up to K'roy to fit a new water tank. I've got a 10acre block up there that we were always going to retire on, but it hasn't happened so its rented out. The original steel tank started leaking, but as I'd already bought a new plastic tank there wasn't a lot of urgency. I ordered another plastic tank and after the rally car I went up with my brother.

post-7544-0-37186000-1391673150_thumb.jpg

First up was to cut the tank smaller, it was 4M wide by 2M high, and was full of thirty years of mud! It took 7 discs to cut around it,but we finally got the top off.

post-7544-0-85600100-1391673161_thumb.jpg

We couldn't budge it, so out with a rope and the KE70!

post-7544-0-75758900-1391673198_thumb.jpg

Nope, also fail! So we pushed stuff under it, starting with a crowbar and working up to a long length of timber until we had unstuck it from the several layers of tarpaper it had glued itself to.

post-7544-0-00074500-1391673296_thumb.jpg

That did the job and the car moved it no problem.

post-7544-0-21792700-1391673391_thumb.jpg

We cleaned up the base and moved the new tank onto it. The tarpaper was so well stuck it stayed there.

post-7544-0-10938500-1391673438_thumb.jpg

The next day we plumbed the tank in, and cut the bottom part of the steel tank in half vertically. Those bits we tipped on their side facing each other and wired them to the garden shed. Another disc on the grinder and I cut a doorway into a new 2M high by 2M wide by 3M long aircraft hangar!

The "smaller" top piece the lady who rents it said she would use as a raised garden..

Then back to Coolangatta to drop off bro, and 1000km back to Orange.

Now I have the Gold car to play with too they can interact. First was fitting an electric fan to The Girl's KE70-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/68673-how-to-fit-an-electric-fan/

..and the diff/wheel size question is more complicated! Seeing the auto runs a 1:1 top and a 4.3diff stock, it cruises at 4000rpm at 100kph. Then I have the blue car with a 3.9 that only hauls 3125rpm at the same speed, nice and slow but actually uses more fuel on long hauls than a 4.1 as it works slightly harder all the time.

So I reckon swapping the diffs will work, gearing the auto up with the 3.9 and the manual down with the 4.3, and 100kph will be 3560 for the auto and 3445 for the manual. Fit the 14X6 mags I have lying around and the auto will get down to 3445rpm also if I use 175/70X14 tyres on them , exactly the same as the manual in 5th.

I'd better wait until The Girl gets back from South Africa and we decide who's driving what and how far...

• 9 months later...

Well, yesterday the wife had the blue car at work and The Girl had the Altezza. Wife turns up and says it wouldn't go into first gear so she turned it off, started it in 1st and drove it home w/o a clutch.

The cable suddenly had a lot of slack, but when I took that up with a spacer and drove it there wa a horrific clutch shudder. So I think the pressure plate has collapsed, something I'll have to do today. I popped on here to see when we fitted it, back at the end of 2008, that's 6 years on a clutch she learnt to drive on.

Damm price has gone up, from $95 then to $115 the shop quoted!! I'm amazed they have one in stock!

OK, thanks Jono, I'll chase a few more prices.

The cable was first, the leaking sump gasket had rotted the rubber bung in the clutch cable fork, which is why it suddenly had excess travel and no clutch throw. That got replaced by a cut-down sway bar rubber, but the shudder is still there in 1st. I'd bettr go and crawl underneath and get dirty...

nah, can't get one cheaper in Orange

Anyway, flywheel is unmarked, pressure plate is fine, thrust bearing fine, clutch plate just over 1/2 worn..

except one spring steel section within the clutch plate has broken and a piece is sticking out, so it catches on the pressure plate when they move at different speeds. Only a few scratches really, and all fresh.

So, new clutch plate needed, and I expect that I can only buy a kit. I'll go and see after lunch..

post-7544-0-47469600-1417747011_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Clearing the camera for the rally car update and realised I hadn't finished this- So, kit only of course, about $100, but no warranty unless you have the flywheel skimmed.

I reckon there was nothing wrong with the flywheel, as the clutch is hardly worn, so I just fitted the new one. Works perfectly, it's already done a few thousand km running between Walcha and Orange.

It shuddered because the broken steel section had jammed behind the adjacent one, so the plate had a bulge in it as it rotated.

...of course the clutch plate that had the broken steel finger in was years out of warranty!

post-7544-0-91508600-1426923386_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, luckily the KE70 was left in the garage when The Girl went to Canberra to catch up with friends. She took the N14 Pulsar SSS that actually belongs to her brother but gets used as a run-around. When she was going straight in the left-hand lane of a traffic island the giant 4X4 in the right lane changed his mind and went to turn left, not seeing The Raspberry beside him he drove his bullbars into it along the doors!

The Girl did the right thing and instantly burst into tears while taking photos of everything, and now we have a Pulsar to fix before we send the bill off. I figure if we paid the panelshop to do the job it would write the car off, so we grabbed a pair of doors off the wrecker. Sadly the red SSS he has there didn't have any doors on that side, so we got base-model ones. You can see how much the B pillar was pushed in by the gap between them here-

post-7544-0-13852200-1429944508_thumb.jpg

Like this it went to the panelshop so they could pull the pillar out, and it came back like this- as good as any other N14 on the road.

post-7544-0-79608100-1429944561_thumb.jpg

So now we have to strip the white doors in and out & sand them, rattle-can them red then clear, and fit the electric mirror & central locking from the SSS. Its sort of tempting to spray the other pair of doors white, & the bonnet/rear hatch also so we can drive a red 'n white raspberries and cream!

post-7544-0-72473000-1429944710_thumb.jpg

Its a nice run-around and I was just talking to The Girl about a KE70 fitted with that SR20 in case the Raspberry was written off only a week before! Its just too handy to write off at the moment, it hauls wood & wheelbarrows and 20L pails of horse poo. I reckon it will cost under $600 plus some labour.

Edited by altezzaclub

• 5 months later...

Ah well... A few days and lots of rattle cans.. Once the doors were done & there was a little paint left I couldn't stop! then bought another couple of cans, then another.. So now-

post-7544-0-91725400-1460031745_thumb.jpg

Then the big project starts.. both blue and gold KE70s in bits, pieces being swapped all around at The Woolshed aaannd...

post-7544-0-90058300-1444211983_thumb.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub
  • Upvote 1