The Girl's Ke70

altezzaclub

I was wondering if the 4K would pull a 3.9, so I figured out the theoretical revs at 100kph on the stock 13" rims for each diff, then added the 14" rims I'd used up to Cairns and back. It showed the 14" rims gear it up more than a 4.1 diff does, as I'd checked before, and the extra 140rpm drop at 100kph shouldn't be a problem with a 3.9.

So I can run a 3.9diff on 13" rims and cruise at 3250 instead of 3580rpm. So any hill will mean 5th to 4th pretty quickly as the revs hit 3000rpm.

A good summer project for next January....

post-7544-0-27383000-1355621817_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 months later...

Well, last week it was time to catch up with little bro' at Coolangatta and fix some stuff on the house in Kingaroy. I hit the farm to see how the RA40 rally car was going on the way up and back too.

With some neat use of all the back roads it turned into a great 7days of driving on the limits of the sknny little stock tyres. It rained nearly every day, all day! The boring part is getting from Muswellbrook to Armidale, and from Coolies up to K'roy. Those roads are far too straight, too "main" and actually have cops occasionally! All the rest usually don't even have white lines and are full of 25-65kph corners!!

The car ran fine, did everything it was meant to, but the water got into a headlight relay and corroded it, so I must do something about turning them upside down. The only time I needed lights was getting back to Orange as I stayed too long working on the rally car that day and made it just as it was dark. Its about 500-600km a day at 100kph, a great tribute to how Toyota built these cars.

Somewhere in there is a weird little hippie town called Nimbin, where everything is devoted to dope, and prior to that is a tiny town that had a KE70 parked by the Co-Op warehouse. I left a note on it, the keys were in it but no-one around, and the guy in the local shop said "it belongs to Louie but he probably won't sell it, he's had it since brand-new"

post-7544-0-01191400-1361579112_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, almost the same trip, work needed in Walcha on the rally car, bro in Coolies, leaking water tank in Kingaroy, so a 6am start (its still dark then, do you know!) and we were grafting on the rally car 6.5hours later, 550km away. Misty through the mountains around Kandos, but magic driving. Next day up to Coolangatta through the mountains again, and this time I stopped to get the road sign.. 65km of narrow winding tarmac with corners down to 25kph! ..and that's just one stretch between Armidale and Grafton!

The day after was somewhat more civilised, and the day following going back from Kingaroy, but both times we managed to find some little-used back roads. The final run was 1050km from Coolies to Orange on Easter Thursday, so I gave the twisties a miss and took the inland route through Gulgong. Back roads with no traffic (or cops!) but they are open, fast ones. Just over 12hrs, which makes a long day in the driver's seat.

So, 2500km again, but now the whine from the diff is quite noticeable. Not sure if its wheel brgs, diff brgs, or worn crownwheel & pinion. Anyway, I will have to do something about it. It ran between 6.5 and 7L/100km, usually on 95, and didn't give trouble.

post-7544-0-74002800-1364890721_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to wheel nuts, what sort of clearance is acceptable?

Found these, 16.85 shank

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CORTINA-P100-REVOLUTION-WHEEL-NUT-CHROME-M12X1-5-/281018058144?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416dfb45a0#ht_2012wt_860

Note I haven't checked all the dimensions against my wheels, that would mean un burying them :)

They're the 17mm ones, and the options are usually 19mm. I suppose they are a close fit as they hit the wheel on that flat washer instead of centering it with a tapered face

I haven't worried about them as I was planning to use steelies, but with the number of classic mags at the wreckers I thought we might get some for the Celica rally car. That means reviving the wheel nut debate as we have two completely different sets of nuts on the car now!

I put another 1800Km up over last weekend with the rally up at Walcha, and today the propshaft hit the engineers for a Celica flange to be fitted. The Celica diff is in place and I'll do a big writeup of how to fit an RA60 Jap banjo diff to your KE70 next week or so.

• 3 weeks later...