5k Engine Transplant

Xany

Members dont see this ad
Funny that, I've only crapped one gearbox, half a dozen axles and three diffs in twelve years of racing. Must not be trying hard enough.....

what surface to you break the majority of bits on?? I can't imagine dirt being too hard...altho you have got those supergripper tyres :P

i was pretty mad when i was younger :P

i haven't broken anything in my ke15, which has a lot more power than the old '30. i don't dump it in first or anything stupid these days, although i have done many flat changes into second with no issues. think a lighter car helps.

have never broken an axle in a corolla. do they snap off the spline in the diff, and make it hard to get the spline out like on old holders?

driving on dirt would put a lot more load on the drivetrain, especially through ruts and on corrugated roads i would think. the load wouldn't be constant like on the bitumen, with the surface changing all the time.

Locked diffs aren't super axle friendly. Yes Doug, they break at the spline end, so diff out to extract the end. Funnily enough, they're usually not too hard to get out of the diff.

I find I have most difficulty with them at/ after Bitumen motorkhanas.

the locker is the poor mans LSD.

it stops you frying the inside rear tyre when you are working the car hard, but has a lot of negatives for a daily driver. it makes both rear tyres rotate at the same speed the whole time, so whenever you turn one or both tyres will break traction, or the car will want to push and understeer. rear tyre wear is about 3 times faster than a normal open diff.

i want one for my ke10 as it will only be used for motorsport purposes, and will be getting club rego. it is ideal in this respect as the car will want to slide far more easily and predictably once provoked into oversteer. the quickest cars at the motorkhanas generally are running lockers (like Rob), and have hydraulic handbrakes. also lockers are awesome for drive out of corners and straight line acceleration.

the quickest cars at the motorkhanas generally are running lockers (like Rob)

I think it would be safer to say that the quickest cars are generally the ones with LSD's or lockers. LSD's are in most ways far superior to a locker. I've driven both, and I'd take an LSD any day...

That said, LSD's are a shiteload more expensive...

the quickest cars at the motorkhanas generally are running lockers (like Rob)

I think it would be safer to say that the quickest cars are generally the ones with LSD's or lockers. LSD's are in most ways far superior to a locker. I've driven both, and I'd take an LSD any day...

That said, LSD's are a shiteload more expensive...

but then theres mumbles (Paul) and his blue sprinter, well at the last motorkhana anway...

good god he can move that car !!!!!!