What Way Is Easiest To Pull A 4K Out?

Members dont see this ad

Last time I did an engine change personally we used a 10 tonne industrial crane to take the engine out and a forklift whenever we needed to list the car :cool:

Though all the other times the engine was removed it was removed without the gearbox. (The time we took it out attached we were swapping the engine and boxes of two cars completely).

I think if you are taking the gearbox out too you need to make sure there is enough room under the car for it to pivot (meaning if you are just doing it with the car sitting on the ground in the garage I think it won't work).

NOTE: When taking the engine out with the gearbox attached, remember to plug the hole at the back where the tailshaft connects.... or else you'll end up with oil everywhere :bash:

I've done it both ways.

If you only pull the engine out, There's a few more bolts to undo, but It can be a bugger getting the gearbox lined up when reinstalling.

If you leave the gearbox on, you need to have the engine and box almost vertical to get it in or out, but you wont have that drama of lining up the gearbox.

Option one is a bit simpler, but if you need both out option 2, just drain the box first and cap the end of the box and have a big bit of cardboard under the car to catch any gear oil.

Has anyone unbolted the K frame and lifted the body off the engine ? I'd like to know how that worked.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Andy43

Well I'm not putting it back in this car, a mate it taking it to put in his car.

So easier to disconnect the box?

Well it realy depends are you going to use yours box or his ??

> If you are going to use yours pullim together make sure its in nuetral then remove the gearstick and crossmember

off the box, Ive done a few engine swaps in my time and never had a hassel,

With the right engine crane and patiants its not that hard.

But as people have said block the end of the gearbox or you will have oil everywhere

I just put a plastic bag tape it { Plumbers tape } then put a neoprene stubbie holder over it and tape that.

Cheers

Woz

Ours was two lengths of 4x2 screwed together, some trailer tie-down belts and then me on one side and the girl on the other... We just lifted the motor up and over the radiator frame.

She did complain about the weight but hey, she's a fit young 18 while I'm an ol' knackered guy! Carefactor pretty low...

Get an engine crane and take the whole lot out together....

Way less rooting around to remove gearbox bolts etc.

Undo engine mounts, undo gearbox crossmember bolts, disconnect some shit and voila engine out. You need someone to help you jiggle a bit to get the right angles (well at least I did). You can do it on your own but a helper is always handy.

If you leave the gearbox on, you need to have the engine and box almost vertical to get it in or out, but you wont have that drama of lining up the gearbox.

When I did the conversion we did it this way twice....damn spigot bearing but it was easy as cause there's only 4 bolts and you can align the gearbox on a bench and whack the whole lot in at once, and cause the gearbox's are fairly light you can just lift it into position with the engine on a hoist and on a bench.

I can't really remember if we did this with the autobox or not though, it is much heavier than the manual one so....if yours is auto make sure you either undo the bolts that connect the torque converter to the flex plate or have a oil catch underneath that area while you disconnect it as oil will go everywhere.

Easier to do this in some corolla's than others.

KE36's have a removable radiator support centre section where the bonnet lock latch bolts to, so you remove that and there is no up and over about it and much easier.