My 83 Ke70 Build

shLONG13

Members dont see this ad

Indeed an awesome buy.

Rota's are win. ʞ©$ɟ going broke for a set of genuine TE37's (if you're on a budget). that 2-3000 dollars or whatever they cost could fund a 4AGE setup or a nice suspension setup or both if you can stretch it out and make a compromise between the two.

Who carres if they aren't genuine.

i get the attraction of rotas... but your placing your safety in the hands of cheap, imitation rims...

the way i see it, i can hit a curb with my ssr's, maybe gash them but otherwise they'll be rock solid..

rotas on the other hand, hit and curb and throw them away..

not saying everyone goes and drives their cars into curbs.

If you're going to be trusting your life to your car, do you REALLY want to cheap out on parts?

not trying to start a heated discussion, but i am keen to hear your opinions..

otherwise, that purple car is the shit! love the attention to detail.. did it have a whole lot of rust to begin with?

Edited by cicca_294

What I don't get is how they can be classified as a crappy wheel that's just going to explode while you're driving. They're obviously load rated for a car. I know a few people that track them and don't have any issues while abusing them. I honestly don't think there would be much difference at all between the two except for weight. Yeah sure, the TE37's could be a bit stronger and less malleable but the difference wouldn't be so much as to call it vast.

And as far as I know they don't make any SSR imitations. (I haven't extensively checked out their range) The only reason I would buy SSR's is because alot of them look tits. And like I said, as far as I'm aware, the only way to get them is to actually buy SSR's. SSR's etc are probably stronger than my MA61's but I (and many others) trust them. I wonder how the the build quality of a Rota would stack up with an MA61 wheel?

I wouldn't want to track my "Overrated" SSR's or TE37's for fear of damaging them. I'd much rather a "crappy wheel" for track use.

Also, does anyone know how many Australian dollars a set of SSR Star Sharks (or any set of wheels they don't make brand new anymore) cost brand new when they were first produced for the market?

i get the attraction of rotas... but your placing your safety in the hands of cheap, imitation rims...

the way i see it, i can hit a curb with my ssr's, maybe gash them but otherwise they'll be rock solid..

rotas on the other hand, hit and curb and throw them away..

not saying everyone goes and drives their cars into curbs.

If you're going to be trusting your life to your car, do you REALLY want to cheap out on parts?

not trying to start a heated discussion, but i am keen to hear your opinions..

otherwise, that purple car is the shit! love the attention to detail.. did it have a whole lot of rust to begin with?

I agree with will pretty much, it all comes down to cost for me, this is only going to be a daily at the moment and I'm trying to save as many dollars as i can to finish the purple one and save for a new motor. I reckon they will be all good anyways as I'm not going to be kaining the f*#ck out of the car and pushing it to the absolute limits everywhere i go as i want to keep my licence :laff: and in the end its only a 1.6, whats the worst that can happen on the road. If one cracks or something ill just try different wheels. I mean yeah if you where a full on professional race car driver and was racing it all the time then yeah you might consider putting stronger wheels on it but for something thats going to be a run about car that might see the track 2 or 3 times a year i reckon they should be fine.

Cheers for that man :y: na the only rust in it was under the boot seal on the corners and a tiny little bit in the back guard, was pretty good as it was garaged for most of its life

what a score mate good work !!! i just bought a set of grid classics and all i can say is for such a cheap price they are insane quality, i can't see any problem with them being unsafe. rota is stepping up in quality these days. they don't have to have ssr written on them to be a good quality rim.

what a score mate good work !!! i just bought a set of grid classics and all i can say is for such a cheap price they are insane quality, i can't see any problem with them being unsafe. rota is stepping up in quality these days. they don't have to have ssr written on them to be a good quality rim.

You're right, they need SSR written on them to be JDM yo.

Seriously though, alot of people are buying them, they seem to be good wheels

Rota's aren't Baaaaaaaaad wheels, But don't compare them SSR's. SSR's quality is impeccable compared to cheap wheels. That's why they're expensive.

Looking good Matty. At this rate you'll have two ke70's in the running for car of the year :lolcry:

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit dubious of some rota's. Not sure if it's still the case but the reason they used to be so light is the centers were hollow. You'd google rota and the first 3 pages of images where just cracked and smashed centers. Occasionally the rim and tyre sitting several metres away

Edited by Jono.C

If you do that much damage to a wheel, I don't think it's going to matter whether your wheels are SSR's or Rota's or spacesavers. If you put the SSR through the same impact that the Rota took, I'd say there's a high chance of your SSR's being completely ʞ©$ɟed. I can't attest to the strength of either but I think that the main difference would be in weight rather than strength.

If you do that much damage to a wheel, I don't think it's going to matter whether your wheels are SSR's or Rota's or spacesavers. If you put the SSR through the same impact that the Rota took, I'd say there's a high chance of your SSR's being completely ʞ©$ɟed. I can't attest to the strength of either but I think that the main difference would be in weight rather than strength.

ʞ©$ɟed possibly.. shattered rim face from barrel, i doubt seriously.