Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Phil'S 1Jz Rolla

Featured Replies

Hey all, been many years since i've frequently visited this forum, can't even find my original login details! I used to get about in a 3TGTE powered (and then 4AGTE) TE72 way back when, which I busted up when the tailshaft snapped at speed.

 

I saved the driveline out of the car, and went in search of an AE71 panelvan, specifically because it was significantly lighter than the sedan, and didn't have to worry about a back seat for the eventual plans to fit a rollcage. A mate spotted this under a gum-tree in a suburban backyard, a deal was made, and the huntsman and gumleaf infested beast was sitting in my garage. After a cleanup and some SSR wheels:

 

b2fd7b0c.jpg

 

Anyways, its been through several revisions since, eventually settling on a 1JZGTE with single turbo and a host of driveline mods, and most recently body mods to remove the rear bar, fit fender mirrors, pump both the front & rear wheel arches to fit 8" and 9" wide rims, and fit the Japanese 2 door wagon windows in place of the panelvan steel panels, effectively making this a "2 door Window Van":

 

7f066d7a.jpg

 

772ae1c4.jpg

 

f5c25fec.jpg

 

cb98a33c.jpg

 

4086893d.jpg

 

 

I use the car for drags, circuit, motorkhana and hillclimbs. There's no such thing as a good all-rounder, but I sure have a lot of fun with it anyway :)

 

Thanks for checking it out, i'm happy to post up more pics and infor of the varying stages of modification. Its not the classic Rolla that I admire from many of the members on here (give me a cool KE10 cruiser any day!) but it gives me a lot of satisfaction to toil away in the garage building it for the diverse range of events that it does.

 

Cheers

Phil

Edited by 1JZ-Rolla

  • Replies 38
  • Views 38.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Minor update from TOyota Fest on the weekend:           Thanks to Hack for the pic

welcome, have been watching your car on toymods and makes me want to put my 1jz into something lighter just a pitty i can't register a corolla in qld with a 1jz

Just that picture of the engine bay makes me want to touch myself in naughty places :P

Very clean install bud. That would be alot of fun no doubt.

Nice panelvan.

 

Looks like it goes really well.

 

Is it still suitable to be used as a daily driver?

Saw this at toyota nats, love the whole thing, the back windows look so much better than stock, may I copy if I ever get one? ;-)

staunch mate. love it

  • Author

Thanks for the comments.

 

Its perfectly sedate as a regular driver, no nasty vices at all.

 

skd30, of course you can "copy" mate :)

 

All up weight (everything minus driver) is 1180kg. Has run 10.9 quarter mile at the drags on its first outing.

 

bb7763c2.jpg

 

The rims it wears for the drags:

 

rollindrags.jpg

 

 

 

Cheers

Phil

ive seen this around on the forums too. looks the goods.

 

10.9 is quite impressive.

 

i guess the question that i have to ask is how does it handle with the big 6 up front?

 

also whats that button on the steering wheel? ejection seat?

dam I'm keeping the pano now haha nah overrated dude would love to build somthing like this for sure

Edited by phil-keto

  • Author

Dave it was quite a mission to get it to handle with most of the motor being ahead of the front axle line, the previous 4AGTE was definitely the better proposition for circuit work. I’ve done a lot with coilovers, spring rates, adjustable shocks, extra camber & caster through longer control arms and custom strut tops, and custom front swaybar. Its now down to 1:11.5 around Wakefield Park which I’m really happy with.

 

Haha yeah, when I get too scared I hit the button and fly out in my ejection seat :) Its actually for a 2-step rev launch control that I was trialling to get more boost off the line.

Edited by 1JZ-Rolla

That is trick mate,

 

I'm so tempted of putting a 1.5J in mine,

 

dang you late model boys able to put the radiator and cooler up front, haha

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.