Tell Us Your Defect Stories

Members dont see this ad

about 4 years ago, got caught at hwy runs in my rb25 vl calais. 330rwkw manual, dropped pipes and mt slicks on the limiter about to launch next to a 10sec gsr and cops came around the roundabout behind me :(

Done for absolutely everything, the car was obscenely loud, had high mount master power T70, screamer pipe, bov, microtech, fuel system in boot etc..

DID NOT get done for street racing! The cop was actually half interested in my car and let me off on it which I was stoked about.

Needless to say that car would never see the road in nsw again so was sold to a guy in queensland who I hear wrapped it around a pole :(

Picture057.jpg

CID__8K15eecCnt_.jpg

this is exactly how i was pulled up on the hwy, photo was taken the next day

10hlz0g.jpg

Years ago I had a brand spankers AE112R Corolla Sedan and it was defected for having headlight covers. Not tinted, or old and busted up. Just new clean standard headlight covers I purchased as a dealer option.

I is illegal to have headlight covers because ADR regs say you are not allowed to have anything covering the headlight that may distort the light path. But as a rule, because they are dealer fit options the rule is 99.99% overlooked.

Unless you get an A Hole that wants to defect a new car for no reason.

Mind you that was 11 years ago, don't know if they've seen sense and changed that rule.

I got pulled over for my stereo being loud in my rolla

yet i don't even have a stereo in my car, popped the boot fuel system and battery, had a look in the back, other than my roll cage and harnesses, not much in their, open my glove box which i don't have one (weight) and there was my ECU, haha bit perplexed he was

otherwise i have yet to be pulled over in my car, driven past traffic inspectors many a times, they be hating I'm going the other way tho, haha

only thing is my atmo BOV otherwise she is all legal

ive got a fully ghetto spec rolla :rolls:

paint was sheet so i sprayed over pretty much everything but a small patch on the roof

with gray undercoat , had some slightly darker undercoat so i sprayed "7" on the rear doors

just for fun :rolls: , ive got blue led reverse lights , my front turn signals on the bumper are held on by zip-ties

ive got a blue and red toyota "flatlight" hooked up to the brakes sitting on the top of my rear window

some brand of aftermarket steering wheel , horn stopped working so i rewired it to a button under the dash

back speakers leaning against the window secured by blue tack , and various other easily defectable things on the car

the only thing ive been defected for was my front no. plate fell off cos tabs broke so i had it in the window and a peice of the exhaust broke off 15 cms under the exhaust manifold to the res lol

OMFG it was loud with the exhaust like that cars 20 or 30 meters ahead of me would wind their windows up then id over take them at full throttle hahahha :rolls:

• Downvote 2

Not so much a defect story as a close call/lucky night.

I was working evenings as a pizza delivery driver & was headed home at about 1.30am in Blue Thing (pale blue AE80 hatch). Came over a crest & spotted a booze bus up ahead, no probs, havent been drinking.

Pulled up, did the BT, all good. Then another officer leans over & asks why I was driving a car with suspended registration...:blinks: :blinks: :blinks: Unbeknown to me there'd been a mixup with the transfer papers when I bought the car & the transfer never happened, hence suspended rego.

So having pulled up on the median strip, I grabbed the family sized pizza out of my car, sat in the hatch area & munched away, watching the proceedings & wondering WTF I was gonna do, having about $100 to my name at this point. Two officers approached me & enquired as to what I was going to do, after offering them a slice (which they accepted...bribery FTW! :wink: ) I explained my situation to them. One then told me that they "would be packing up in about 30 minutes" & that "what I did with my car after that was not of their concern".

Taking the none-too-subtle hint, I went for a bit of a walk. At a safe distance I watched them pack up & leave, waited a few minutes, then went back, got in the car & made my way home as fast as the speed limit allowed! :laff:

If they wanted to, they could've quite easliy slapped a defect sticker on my car despite the suspended rego. Luckily for me, they were in a good mood.

Edited by carbonboy

My flat mates painted my old dx white. Everything apart from the bottom half of the front windscreen. Even over the defect sticker it already had. Then went for a drive. I think it got 2 in one day. I wasn't impressed when I saw it when I got home from work.

• Upvote 1

i think you would get more than a defect sticker if they wanted you to!

i think being unregistered voids your 3rd party insurance, which is the greatest concern.

lucky eh.

if we are talking about close calls, few yrs ago when i my car was...shall we say...in its early stages of development....(all different colours, and VERY poor paint, only mod is a nardi classic wheel) .i got followed home by a high way patrol car at about 4pm in the arvo, i live near a cop station so i guess they were just in the neighbour.

i pull into carport, lock up car, get out, and the cop car parks across the carport (still on the street, but blocking the driveway)

one cop gets out and starts aggressively asking me questions about if i had any defects, any mods, was it legal, can you please open it up etc etc.

i start opening the door, and my dad walks out side,

he asks "any problem officer", they go (in a nice friendly voice mind you...) "nah all good" he turns to me and sais, "keep driving safely mate, and have a good arvo"

cop gets back in his car, and drives off.

thanks dad!

worst case scenario i get a defect for the nardi (which i got few yrs later anyway...), but yeah i think they were just picking on me, wanted to waste my time a bit.

was actually pretty funny, dad scared off the cops.

i think you would get more than a defect sticker if they wanted you to!

i think being unregistered voids your 3rd party insurance, which is the greatest concern.

lucky eh.

Correct.

Correct again, a great cause of worry for everybody concerned.

:yes: :yes: :yes: Got the registration issue sorted out on the Monday (this happened on a Sunday morning)

Your cops seem unwilling to take on someone their own size :( Dad FTW! :)

Edited by carbonboy

My mates 180sx got yellowed on a Saturday night. By Sunday night he had his full race pipe on( 125891230897 DB ) :laff: . Taking the front bar off to keep his bigger turbo cool. pulled out the back seats and put 4 point harness in , Race steering wheel and Drift Teks with offset you could sleep in. Anyway went for a drive got pulled over again and cop started giving shit about how loud it was and my mate just pointed at the Defect on the windscreen and that was that. We carried on cruising around . :laff:

been yellowed for a frayed seatbelt and podfilter allegedly not strapped down...

thye spent a while looking for more but thats all they came up with, it was an old falcon... and the copper didnt know what it was! i don't think he took it too well when i just pointed at the falcon badge he was standing by

i got done for my nardi classic steering wheel. 1 point, $130.

What's defectable about a nardi? non adr? size?

We got pulled over once in my mates r31, Two tone black and white, low, full jap spec fitment, 3" straight through exhaust, welded diff, cut and shut knuckles, extended lca's etc, plus the 300rwkw rb30et, ( rarely driven on road)

Cop didn't defect it or anything simply because we where up front, he asked why it was loud, low etc and gave him straight answers.

Only thing he said was to refrain from driving it on road from a safety stand point (fair enough)