Adjusting Valve Clearances

lildavo

Hey guys, first go at adjusting valve clearances here, bit stuck. They are all a bit loose, but when I go to adjust them the screw is stuck. I loosened the lock nut surrounding the screw but the screw won't budge, all attempts are just damaging the top of the screw. I got one to move and that's it. Anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it?

Members dont see this ad

Stuck in both directions, up and down?? Not screwed to the end of the thread are they?

Probably easiest to pull the lot out and have them cleaned in a solvent bath at a motor engineers. I expect they are solid with tar and sludge.

Just undo the towers and they all lift out together. Be careful putting them back on and make sure all the balls seat in the pushrods as you bolt them down.

I haven't had it happen to me. Got a photo?? I'm wondering how sludgy they are...

Is build-up this bad out of the norm for a motor this old?

I'm not to stressed about the condition of this motor, just wanted to stop the rattling tappets.

I'll be doing an engine conversion once I've saved the funds for it.

Is there a trick to busting the adjusting screw loose?

try backin the nut off a heap and then winding them down?

the thread should be clean winding them down cause the nut would have been keeping them clean.

you are obviously adjusting the right ones, ie, the pushrod isnt pusshing against them?

while that is very sludgy, i don't see why they wouldnt turn, especially downwards, you could soak them in some solvent and clean the threads up with a stiff tooth brush.

i did the clearances on this and didnt have an issue with them not wanting to move, so i find it hard to understand why yours are seized :)

DSCN0832.jpg

After seeing this i wanna open my engine too to see how it looks :D But i'm gonna eventually. You can reuse the seal for the cover right? Or does it HAVE to be a new one?

Just run a smear of axle/bearing grease along the rubber seal (the side that gets placed on the block)

I'm not to stressed about the condition of this motor, just wanted to stop the rattling tappets.

By the looks of it are you sure its a tappet rattle ,id be looking at the timing chain .

As its looks like a virgin engine thats done lots of work with poor service history.

rob