The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Did a little bit more on this. I need to finish the rear brakes so when I had my mate James over yesterday he helped me pop the drums apart and check if the parts from other cars would work. Looks perfect. The AE86 wheel cylinders fit beautifully as per stock but wih a different bore to suit my MC.

The S series handbrake cables are the perfect thing for the job. Was a good educated guess on that one. They seem identical to the mx ones except the length and mounting points suit the ae86.

The shoes I have seem fine, they are actually for mx13.

The drums had a small step machined into them and they are off an ra65. Bit of a hybrid of a few parts to make the brakes wotk in the chassis but overall very easy to sort out (with a little help from my friends :) Cheers to James, Shaun and Trevor Vidler at all clutch and brake, and Seth aka Japlish for the info and drums I still owe you $40 bud haha).

So now that I know that will work, I might jump under her and fit up the fuel system.

Thanks to some clever cross fitting I managed to put an ae71 centre duct on the ae86 heater box, and its just got these ends you uncap and connect to the ae86 ducts, its totally the same part except it has one little plastic extremity on top and once that gets cut off its ideal! Thats the only difference and probably why they have different part numbers. Ive been silicon fitting kitchen sinks lately so that I end up with a few rolls of closed cell sealing foam tape, and when I put the car together 100% finally I will reseal all my vents with it, and even tape up what I can, I really want the heater to work good! Especially after not having one for ever!

So now I can put my dash together right down to the kicks.

I won an excellent condition cluster surround panel and an excellent condition Radio console in Black this week on ebay quite cheaply. So its all coming together. I still need an ae86 centre console, and I might consider buying some new seatbelts too just for peace of mind.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad

I did the same thing to all my air ducts on BT while I had the dash apart last, the heater has never worked so well. Highly recommend this with older vehicles, the foam they use from the factory usually crumbles the moment you take it apart.

Awesome work with everything else too, keep at it.

Edited by carbonboy
  • Upvote 1

Pulled the drums apart on the good diff in preparation for the rebuild. My mate James is sandblasting the backing plates for me and then I can put them back together and bleed, and connect the handbrake for 2/3 pedals!

Also started on the fuel system. Measured all the connections on anyhing and made a table of the sizes, and mapped out how to connect it all.

I need to find some stock fuel lines. One difference from ke70 to ae86 is the fact that the lines cross the tunnel on the ae86 for some reason, meaning the ae71 lines I had here spare were useless to me, and I'm best to just get some adm lines to copy from for my 5/16 supply, or to forget that all together and go to JDM lines which have the 5/16 feed line I need already.

I could make it work best with a 5/16 supply line from the hp pump to the rail, as the rail has a 5/16 inlet. It has 1 1/4 outlet, and the return line on the surge tank is 5/16, so I might modify the nipple on the surge tank and put a 1/4 inch nipple on there for that, then I can use the stock 1/4 inch return line. The reg is 1/4 in and out, but I can swap that too so no issue there.

I'm wondering if I should shop around for a different hp pump as the one I have has a threaded end one end which is easy enough to manage, but it has a 1/2 inch nipple on the other. If I can get another from somewhere with 3/8 in and 5/16 out Id be best with that, as it would forgo the need for any adapters.

The breather is 3/16 line to the tank in its bung, and the car usually has 3/16 line for this too, so thats fine, the charcoal can has a 1/4 inch nipple on it, no big deal, the 3/16 hose will stretch, its only low pressure hose at that end.

I need a lift pump with a 1/4 inch in and 5/16 out as thats what the main and surge tanks require respectively. Not sure if such a thing exists, Ill be researching pumps tonight.

Got the pipe bender I need. Bought a few basics like gloves and a mask for the welder.

Trying to find a parts 86, not easy.

Might have another look at efi lines tomorrow and see what I can manage. I might try to relocate the lines to the one side of the tunnel the whole way and bring them out way away from the exhaust, might make them a straighter thing and easier to form too.

If I go to a 5/16 feed and return shit will be ace.

post-2885-0-70510600-1410256010.jpg

I don't really rate aluminium Bundy tube, I have enough steel 5/16 for feed and return, so will probably end up doing that if I can't find lines preformed anywhere to suit.

Thats why I bought the bender. I know I will probably end up doing that but I did it once before and it sucks ass lying on your back and doing it under the car. I should have been smarter and done it with the engine and trans out.

I'm looking at removing the gearbox crossmember and maybe the diff to do it to make it simple. I can just put the box on a stand and work around it. Its just a shit job to do.

Did the fuel lines and the breather. Will need the motor out to finish routing and clipping in the front bit at the engine/firewall gap.

James hooked me up with some ac switches and an ac surround. Cheers mate.

I fixed up the fuel pump bracket and thats ready to fit once I see the lift pump and decide if I need to create andy more clearance for that. Just waiting for it to come in the post.

Painted the backing plates on the drums with some bronze engine enamel.

Will put the brakes together tomorrow. Should have 2 pedals. I'm going to need some help soon Justin if you have soem time sometime soon. :hmm: .

Today i rebuilt the rear brakes finally, and was able to get 2 pedals. Handbrake cables fitted well, and all seems fine.

I noticed a small leak from the clutch reservoir so I fixed that.

Next step is to finish the fuel system off, by installing the lift pump and the high pressure pump and connecting all the lines. Hopefully it only takes an hour or two to do, since its all planned out.

I really need Justin to call me back so I can arrange the wiring with him. Hint ah Hint.

I have to do a few of the odd fabrication chores now, like the radiator shroud and the airbox.

Still need the tailshaft shortened too.

Need more hours in a day!

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Today I filled the diff with lsd oil and gently rotated the wheels to lube the centre.

I replaced the vvt solenoid that I snapped the plug off a while back, and I kept the old one to put back in while shifting the motor round. Should be right for wiring.

I also bolted in the lift pump, and fitted the entire fuel system besides the reg, which I have decided to replace. Its all buttoned up under the car and looking nice. I just need to visit clarke rubber to get some padding for the top of the tank. Ill probably just buy one of the cheap tomei regs from ebay for $70 posted unless anyone can confirm shitness of them.

post-2885-0-26278200-1411550562_thumb.jpg

So thats brakes clutch and fuel system. I still need to fit a heater tap I don't think I can make a cable type work well once relocated so I need one from an ma61 or a soarer thats vacuum controlled so I can switch it electrically on and off with vacuum control. I swapped out a different heater pipe and modified it for added rwd suitability. I can now have confidence it wont sheer.

I also stripped off the throttles, cleaned them again, added the new gaskets under, and refitted, torqued and adjusted them all perfectly so the car will run right when idling. Stoked with how that seemed to go. I had to do some strategic drilling of holes to make sure the allen wreches could get to where they need to be to adjust things, but it worked out great. Throttle cable reaches so thats 3 pedals I guess.

Starting to run out of shit to do until medicine man comes by with his life giving powers.

It will have to be sent out again for header correction, and the tailshaft.

Also doing a bit on my moto in preparation for some riding with my mate Mick. Some new pirelli Scorpion mx32s and some suspension work from MPE at Caloundra coming up. I'm excited!

• 4 weeks later...

OK, a lot has changed since we last spoke, but nothing to do with the car.

I have moved to a new place with a bigger yard, better sheds, and a much nicer setup overall. I am now literally 5 minutes from my workshop, so I should be able to squeeze more time in on work and play.

My CRF is back from MPE with some amazing suspension feel now. Ive also had the pilot jet changed and its great.

I havent done a whole lot on the car except connect up the heater pipes and locate the tap over near the wiper motor right out of the way, in a similar place to the ra65 tap location. Now I just need to wreckers dig to find a long cable to operate it and drill a new hole in the firewall for it.

I purchased the speedo cable I needed from Mumnlezz on dc via ebay. $30 is pretty fair. I have also bought a centre console and received that too. Aside from being brown its all awesome.

I pre filled the cooling system without the motor running to see if the coolant would make it all the way through, and its awesome, my bleed points allow the air to be removed really easy. I'm pretty confident in that bit of engineering now.

Medicine man has been booked in in a week or two to do the wiring. Once we have a loom for it to run I can remove the engine and do the oil pickup and sump mod, and then fix the fuel lines up at the engine side and secure them really well there. Might need to add a slight bit more clearance with a hammer.

Oh I also have mounted the new fuel reg by making a steel strap that wraps around the rad overflow bottle to bolt it to, looks pretty factory if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a lot of good work done today with the help of Medicine Man. He and I ran the power feeds, under the body, mounted the battery in the rear, wired the starter and alternator, tested lights and made the lotus lights work properly as only 3/4 lights lit up as brake lights initially. Also he has this wicked nutsert device so i was able to bolt in the heater tap, the battery box, the front tie bar, and the stone tray all in a few minutes with no welding required. That shits ace.

No piccies sorry, but it doesnt look much different really. One more Saturday on it and it should be ready to run. At that point Ill try and send it back to ricks for the tailshaft and the header to be corrected in the correct phase.