Subaru_Kid's Ae82 Tin Can - Parting Out

Subaru_kid

Members dont see this ad

Another day at winton! :cool:

Got there as soon as the gates opened at 7 and were the first to pick a spot. Swapped the tyres over and just did usual maintenance checks as per usual to get ready for the day.

IMGP0622.jpg

IMGP0619.jpg

Sitting purdy

There was a slight mix up with the groupings so I only got an outlap and inlap in the first session when I took a friend around but immediately I could tell that the car felt very different to last time, alot more grip and predicability. Brought it in and refined my tyre pressures, and found my oil cap was leaking because I didnt tighten it properly lol

IMGP0662.jpg

Got the full second session. The group had a mix of cars, but got held up by an XR8 and Mitsu Starion. Unfortunately after my hot lap my fire extinguisher came loose and was flying around the cabin so I called it a sesh...

Considering I was aiming for a 46er I was stoked when I found out I had done a 1:45.7

IMGP0700.jpg

In the third session I further refined my tyre pressures, adjusted the rear shocks to an increase oversteer tendency and then removed the passenger seat because racecar. Also, I had a massive powersteering leak so my dad cut his sock and put it over my PS reservoir LOLLOLL it did the job.

Ended up pushing a bit harder but the brake fluid was going spongey and lacked feel. The session ended and I pulled a 1:45.2 another improvement!!

IMGP0723.jpg

hardparking at the racetrack

IMGP0724.jpg

dad's sock ahahah

IMGP0726.jpg

because racecar.

IMGP0735.jpg

The car was feeling great, the suspension was feeling spot on but the brake fluid was letting the car down. So we gave it a quick bleed at the front and that gave me so much more confidence. I took the car out in the last session and realised I didnt have to brake from turn 2 through the sweeper until the first hairpin! the car suspension was amazing. But the day was starting to cool and I thought I had less grip when in actual fact I was pushing the car harder than ever!

IMGP0739.jpg

IMGP0743.jpg

IMGP0789.jpg

I finished the fourth session with a new PB of 1:44.4420 !!!! my jaw dropped when I was told and I couldnt wipe the smile off my face :D

It was an amazing day that was run quite smoothly, nobody had any big dramas and were all able to drive home. Thanks to OzRenault and MelbS15 for organizing the day, particularly OzRenault for giving me a spot, thanks!! :)

Here are my session times:

Session 1:

2:07.3700

Session 2:

2:03.8470

1:46.6950

1:47.2190

1:46.9760

1:45.7900

2:15.2810

Session 3:

2:19.6380

1:48.1490

1:46.0770

1:45.2730

1:45.5530

1:45.3980

1:45.9910

Session 4:

2:10.9650

1:49.3890

1:46.3310

1:44.8000

1:44.7940

1:44.4420

1:50.9360

After stalling for such a long time, I thought that I should get the exhaust done.

The exhaust setup I had previously was a fairly standard setup apart from the straight through xforce muffler with dodgy welds. This caused many exhaust leaks around those weld points... It was loud, droney and no better than standard, actually if anything it was probably worse.

So after making a few orders the mailman made a visit last week dropping off these two Magnaflow items. A High-Flow Cat Converter and a Straight through muffler both in 2.25 inch.

IMGP1269.jpg

meow.

So I went about fitting them up at the exhaust shop. After getting quotes from many places and advice, I went to TrueFlow in Melton. Walked in and told them that I wanted a 2.25 mandrel system and ill supply cat and muffler etc etc.

As I returned to collect the car, I found that they not only welded in the cat and muffler, but they also kinda remade my secondaries and flex pipe!! Not bad bit of work when they didnt even charge me a cent over what they quoted :D

IMGP1298.jpg

IMGP1300.jpg

IMGP1285.jpg

I didnt end up going with a tip, I like how raw it looks as it is... lol

IMGP1307.jpg

I took it for a spin right away and found the car to be less droney. When you are cruising I actually found it easier to talk and listen to my passeger than before, I wasnt yelling anymore haha

Once you put your foot down it turns up to 11! I found that there is alot more response, torque and power! She even chirps easier in 2nd! :D

IMGP1275.jpg

IMGP1279.jpg

Obligatory fly by vid