Ke25 Sprinter Or Corolla?

abbott

ok guys sorry to post yet another stupid question but this shouldn't take long to resolve with all our ke25 nuts on here.

is a ke25 a sprinter or a corolla technically. I know it is a corolla but everyone calls them ke25 sprinters but it doesn't appear to have sprinter written on it.

in saying that the front guard has a badge that has a zigzag almost lightning bolt style S on it. does that mean it's a sprinter?

stupid question I know but I'm stupid :)

cheers Tom

Members dont see this ad

It's a Corolla.

In Japan, Sprinters were sold in different dealerships to Corolla's and had slight differences in trim and some panels. KE15/17's are an exception here, they were Corolla Sprinters. Things demarcated from the xE2x models.

TE27 Trueno is a good example. It is a Sprinter whereas a Levin is a Corolla. If you look closely, there are numerous small differences. But there were multiple models within each model range with lesser specification, including 3K engined models.

This continued on up until xE5x series I think before a hiatus with the xE7x rangs (not sure about that) before reappearing in the xE8x range.

So as an example, here is the Sprinter version of the KE25 (still designated a KE25)

sprinter.pdf

sprinter 2.pdf

Plus there were TE25's with 1400cc T engines, as well as TE27's with the 2TG

There were also 4 door versions with 1200 or 1400 cc engines, although these were designated as KE20's and TE20's even though they bear closer resemblence behind the C pillar to a KE30 4 door, rather than what we know as a KE20.

Edit: there was a KE25 for sale a while back in NSW that had an SL badge on the grille that appeared to be an import. It got snapped up pretty quickly, perhaps this is the one you have?

Edited by parrot

• 8 months later...

Edit: there was a KE25 for sale a while back in NSW that had an SL badge on the grille that appeared to be an import. It got snapped up pretty quickly, perhaps this is the one you have?

Sorry to dig up an old thread...

That would be mine. Was a very lucky find indeed. Bought it intending to put a 4age into it until i found it was a Genuine SL with a 3k-b. I'm currently collecting the bits to do a restoration and freshen the engine.

Does this mean mine is a sprinter?

The SL (Sport & Luxury) was available as a 1200SL (3K-B), 1400SL (T-B) or 1600SL (2T-B) version

And timgte, yours isn't a Sprinter, rather a Corolla. If it still has the original engine in it, it would have 10:1 compression if untouched.

Edit: For completeness I should add; Sprinters also had an SL version, but I recall yours had the Corolla front on it.

Edited by parrot

I was informed by a guy in England that these were in fact sprinters , as that badge was only fitted to sprinter models. I sent him photos of my car and he said it was a basic sprinter. He worked for Toyota back in the 1970's so I took it that he was correct