October 25, 201114 yr comment_562532 ok guys sorry to post yet another stupid question but this shouldn't take long to resolve with all our ke25 nuts on here. is a ke25 a sprinter or a corolla technically. I know it is a corolla but everyone calls them ke25 sprinters but it doesn't appear to have sprinter written on it. in saying that the front guard has a badge that has a zigzag almost lightning bolt style S on it. does that mean it's a sprinter? stupid question I know but I'm stupid :) cheers Tom Report
October 25, 201114 yr comment_562571 It's a Corolla. In Japan, Sprinters were sold in different dealerships to Corolla's and had slight differences in trim and some panels. KE15/17's are an exception here, they were Corolla Sprinters. Things demarcated from the xE2x models. TE27 Trueno is a good example. It is a Sprinter whereas a Levin is a Corolla. If you look closely, there are numerous small differences. But there were multiple models within each model range with lesser specification, including 3K engined models. This continued on up until xE5x series I think before a hiatus with the xE7x rangs (not sure about that) before reappearing in the xE8x range. Report
October 25, 201114 yr Author comment_562620 thanks for the info parrot! the one thing I'm really unsure about is the badge on my car? I wish I could upload pics off my phone but I'll do it as soon as I can get the laptop out. if you can clear that up I won't bother :) Report
October 26, 201114 yr comment_562675 So as an example, here is the Sprinter version of the KE25 (still designated a KE25) sprinter.pdf sprinter 2.pdf Plus there were TE25's with 1400cc T engines, as well as TE27's with the 2TG There were also 4 door versions with 1200 or 1400 cc engines, although these were designated as KE20's and TE20's even though they bear closer resemblence behind the C pillar to a KE30 4 door, rather than what we know as a KE20. Edit: there was a KE25 for sale a while back in NSW that had an SL badge on the grille that appeared to be an import. It got snapped up pretty quickly, perhaps this is the one you have? Edited October 26, 201114 yr by parrot Report
October 26, 201114 yr comment_562777 There's one in Bendigo that's a genuine SL, with 3K-B on the makers plate. Came in from PNG. Report
July 14, 201214 yr comment_615328 Edit: there was a KE25 for sale a while back in NSW that had an SL badge on the grille that appeared to be an import. It got snapped up pretty quickly, perhaps this is the one you have? Sorry to dig up an old thread... That would be mine. Was a very lucky find indeed. Bought it intending to put a 4age into it until i found it was a Genuine SL with a 3k-b. I'm currently collecting the bits to do a restoration and freshen the engine. Does this mean mine is a sprinter? Report
July 14, 201214 yr comment_615337 There's one in Bendigo that's a genuine SL, with 3K-B on the makers plate. Came in from PNG. you talking bout spanna's? didnt realise it wasnt originally a T! cool info btw parrot. had no idea Report
July 14, 201214 yr comment_615344 The SL (Sport & Luxury) was available as a 1200SL (3K-B), 1400SL (T-B) or 1600SL (2T-B) version And timgte, yours isn't a Sprinter, rather a Corolla. If it still has the original engine in it, it would have 10:1 compression if untouched. Edit: For completeness I should add; Sprinters also had an SL version, but I recall yours had the Corolla front on it. Edited July 14, 201214 yr by parrot Report
July 14, 201214 yr comment_615435 I believe all 1971 model flat front ke25's brought to Australia were sprinters. They are the ke25's with the triangular badges on the guards with what seems to be a Lightening bolt in the badge. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong Report
July 14, 201214 yr comment_615451 I have one of those, and I hate to burst your bubble, but they weren't Sprinters. Report
July 15, 201214 yr comment_615530 I was informed by a guy in England that these were in fact sprinters , as that badge was only fitted to sprinter models. I sent him photos of my car and he said it was a basic sprinter. He worked for Toyota back in the 1970's so I took it that he was correct Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now