Help! Don't Know What To Do...

Nostalgia

The other day after a massive spike a month or so back in temperature (then not driving him), I did a full flush of all coolant and used radiator cleaner and cleaned up the gunky thermostat and put it all back together, and for a week or so it was fine. But now as of a few days ago, the thermostat in my 26 has started fluctuating intermittently, once up to as far as it goes when I was in a multi-story carpark going like 15kmh.. and there's tiny bubbles in the radiator on startup.. And he blew a bit of smoke yesterday.

Went to a radiator place in town today and and after a look he said I've done a head gasket, but only a little, and because of a possible partially blocked radiator + old age. After leaving there I drove for another 45 minutes or so and the thermostat didn't fluctuate a bit.. just stayed normal.. (see what I mean)

He said it could cost me 600-800 including skim and probably radiator service, or a bit less if he did it for me in person. I went to another place in Kingston Beach today and he said it could cost 700-1000, but he then said he's not sure as he's used to 6cyl and 3k's are easy to work on. He then said if I was to take it apart and put it back together myself and take my head to JustJap in Glenorchy, which is where they send their heads to, it could cost me 300-400. But then I would have to still get the radiator checked out.

Now I could do this, I am mechanically minded but not too experienced, but I'd been contemplating putting a 4k or 5k (or other toyota carb engine with minimal fitment work) in him for some time now.. Surely for the money I could end up paying to get the 3k ok I could get a 4k and work it or a 5k.. Plus a bloke who owns multiple wreckers around the state saw my car and frothed hard, saying the engine itself would be worth 500-600 by itself.. And there's someone in tassie who wants one..

I have no idea what to do and need opinions!

Here's my pros and cons so far:

PROS

- Faster, bigger engine which can actually keep up with traffic.

- Working engine means I would also get exhaust and be worth it.

- More cost effective - I may decide to get a bigger engine in the first place anyway

- 3k is soo slow.

- I could have a m.int(ish) fUlLy sIk rolla

- I really do want a project I can personalise and make my own..

- I could hate myself for spending so much for no improvement, though the idea of working the 3k to awesomeness is pretty cool.

CONS

- I want a worked engine but I don't want to ruin the originality of a rare 3k which has only done under 42000 miles since new.

- I don't want to split up such an original, rare car (even though I had to change some things for rwc)

- Potential downward spiral in overall value and potential value appreciation, seeing as the only other imperfections are on the body, and not many of them.. And especially seeing as I was told by a guy who knows what he's talking about that it could be worth anywhere up to 8-9g to the right person.

- I could hate myself forever if I ruin it's originality.

I know I may seem weird but I care ALOT about originality if it's in good condition.. For reference check out my 26 in my signature.

Also keep in mind I'm Uni student trying to sell another car to pay back my mum, and making $140 a week unless I work my ass off.

Please help, any suggestions would be great, I'm sure other people have been in this situation!

Edited by irokin

Members dont see this ad

Find a good 4K, one that you can drive first, and pull the 3K out-

Just seal it up and put it aside for a few years. Pull out the plugs and put oil in each cylinder then wind it over by hand a couple of times. Take the carb off and spray CRC "longlife" down the inlet manifold to coat the back of the valves.

Then you can always resurrect it in the future when you want to sell it as original.

Styler - Yeah was thinking of just doing that first, but I want to get a good idea of the future too, not just short term.

B.Z.B - I'm in Kingston, Hobart. There's a few people doing up ksevs around so I should be able to find a 4k pretty easy, just a matter of how many ks! Went to a wrecker out the burbs and saw a ke55 and they wanted 400 for the engine, I was like okay, leaving now... Haha

Altezzaclub - Good thinking man, I was actually thinking of something along those lines a while back, like making a glass top table out of it for the time being and then selling it original or just changing back in the future hahaha, but thanks, I didn't know about putting the oil or CRC in, thanks heaps. Just comes down to money again, if I sold the 3k the money could go along way.. But 4ks are cheap as chips, what am I thinking!

I could also get a 5spd box too, as I'll be off my Ps soonish and have to use the highway a lot.

Cheers guys

Any more ideas?

Yeah I've been meaning to.

What are those tools you use to tighten the head? Like a socket wreck but more hardcore? I'll have to hire one I reckon

Torque Wrench, can get Kincrome ones from Bunnings for under $100. After a car repair manual, best money you'll spend. :D

Edit: Let's all reply at once shall we? :lol:

Edited by carbonboy

Yeah +1 on Goringe's if you went down that road, got very reasonable quotes on some work for a 3t-c.

And i am also probably the other guy you referred to looking for a 4k, well i did find one it was just difficult because i was after one that wasn't out of a registered car so i would be able to legally rego it in my new ke.

Send SP Garage a message on facebook, they offered me a 4k for $50, and it is out of a mate's ke70 too so i know it runs fine :)

Edited by BlueKsev

Yes torque wrench! Went to check them out at repco today when I bought the head gasket, which was on sale :rock: I'm not going to use a normal wrench haha.

Goringe's sounds good for the headwork, but I just don't know if I want to spend that much on the 3k, that's the problem.

BlueKsev, just added them! I didn't know engines had to be from registered cars to be legit, cheers.

I have mates who know what they're doing and would pretty much help me change it over for a carton, I wouldn't be doing it myself, if that's what you're getting at, parrot. I'm not going to go have a hack at the engine that I so badly want to preserve by myself haha