195/65 15 Tyres Foul On Ae92 Sedan.

930LLO

Hey just wondering if any of the KYB shockies compensate for a larger tyre? Otherwise ill be getting the angle grinder out and making these tyres fit. Currently got stock shockies and springs, had 195/60's on the front so I thought they would fit on the back. :(

Cheers

Edited by 930LLO

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Tyres are too tall mate!

^THIS

Stock size would have been something like 175/65/14 or 185/60/14, to keep the same diameter in a 195 15" you'd need to go to a 195/50/15. Speedo is going to be off ~7% too with those fronts (would be off 10% with 195/65/15), which is illegal (as you are reading way under what you are actually doing)

EDIT: unless of course this is a track car, but it doesn't sound like it.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

• 2 weeks later...

If you used the steel wheels from a later corolla, or 15" mags from a later corolla, the offset is different by 5mm, meaning 195's will rub on the shock shaft (they do actually clear, but by less than 3mm and tyre flex will result in rubber marks on the shock).

As mentioned as well, 65 series are also too tall and will foul with the spring seat. My old shocks had the spring platform 'massaged' with a hammer to provide some clearance (I do not recommend this)

I've got 195/50R15's on the TTG Rolla with 15mm spacers (dedicated motorsport car), they give plenty of clearance from the shock strut and still aren't close to the lip on the guard.

AE's are always a PITA when trying to fit bigger wheels to the rear, you've got truck loads of room up front by comparison.