Engine Not Turning Over After Certain Amount Of Time

pelebellz

Hi Guys

First just want to say how awesome and useful this forum is. So many brilliant topics

Just want to know if anyone knows the problem i have. Ive just purchased me a work hack for 1500.Good score because it used to be grannys old car. 1993 toyota corolla sedan.

Problem ive been having lately is that it doesnt always start. I'm finding that when i leave the car for more than 12 hours, I'm always having to get someone to jump start it for me.

Ive had the car checked out at the auto electricians. They had removed a immobiliser which was installed in the vehicle.They told me everything else was fine and that it should be starting. 2 months later its still happening.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Members dont see this ad

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I will go tommorow give supercheap a go.

after 12 hours when i hit the started all i hear is a long beep and i usually wait for 30 mins to see if it starts. If that fails i just ask someone to jump start me lol.

I will try all your solutions.

ok update,

This morning i had taken it to my local auto electrician and without him testing the battery and telling him the drama i was having, he insisted it was the battery that was at fault. So me being me, i purchased a new battery.

But to my suprise,upon starting my car 8 hours later, its doing the same thing!...argghhh...so now I'm thinking its the alternator..anyone have any clues? lol

Nope- the brand new battery should start the car quite a few times even if it was not getting fully charged...

The 'beep' worries me..

after 12 hours when i hit the started all i hear is a long beep and i usually wait for 30 mins to see if it starts.

You should hear the starter turning the motor or a 'click-click-click' from the starter solenoid. There is something else in the system!

Don't go back to that "auto-electrician" except to deman he pays for your new battery!

So, does it stat fine all the times in between the 12hours??

Does it start fine when someone jumps it?

When you park it at home next, take a battery lead off overnight and see if it starts OK next day. It may be draining out through some odd circuit.

• 2 months later...

ok so after numerous people telling me this and that, I'm thinking it may be my starter. I'm getting totally fustrated as to why this keeps happening.

when you hear the beep and not a click its the immobiliser working?

Ive had the immobiliser removed thinking it was the problem but its actually still doing the same thing

I'm always having to get someone to jump start it for me.

If that is so, it doesn't sound like a starter problem. The jumping still only puts 12V into the system, just more amps, and your new battery should have plenty of amps.

Can you find out what makes the beep, and why? Maybe it is some warning alarm.

a quick test...

-when you get home from work, turn off the car, close all the doors, turn off all the lights etc

-remove positive battery terminal from battery.

-put multi meter on to current/amps mode

-put one multi meter terminal on the posivite battery terminal, put other one onto the positive lead you have just removed.

-if you get ANYTHING other than zero amps, you have something draining your battery.

I had simliar dramas with you, battery always going flat, turned out the little switch that turns the brake lights on was stuffed, and my brake lights were continually on.

also, 1993 corollas don't beep, id say you have something aftermarket beeping, that is quite possibly the source of your problem.

Edited by ke70dave