Ae82 Twincharged Corolla - Sznaps

Sznaps

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • 2 months later...

I am going to install bypass valve so the twincharged system can show full potential by breathing freely in high rpms. I found a perfect candidate for the switch - Nissan Maxima 3,5l v6 throttle body. Its an electronic one and seems to be working just fine for my needs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2013101101.jpg

A taste of things to come (unless we blow up something). Soon the twincharged tuning with workingbypass valve. The target max boost is 1.3.

Just out of curiousity we did one run with just turbo with bypass valve wide open on 1.6bar boost. Anyone curious about the result?

Allright guys the setup received bypass valve which opens when supercharger is disengaged and lets turbo breath freely with nice cold air through second intake. We have tuned it and I have let myself have lots of runs today. Got few things to share when I manage.

But lets start with numbers.

We made test run on just turbo with bypass valve constantly open so supercharger is not used. The run was on 1.5b because we were curious what the numbers would be with higher boost. But also we can compare the characteristics of just turbo to twincharge system on same engine. If you look at charts below you will notice that twincharge simply has torque line plain and stretched throughout all rpms when compared to turbo. Also what is not visible on charts - in twincharge setup you have boost everywhere and whenever you want.

20131012_hamownia15.jpg

But lets get to the point.

How it was - twincharge - 1.2b - turbo sucks constantly through supercharger (engaged and later on disengaged)

2012111501.jpg

How it is now - twincharge - 1.2b - turbo sucks through supercharger but when its disengaged bypass valve opens and turbo sucks nice cold air though second intake.

20131012_hamownia12.jpg

Impressions - Its better :-). Without bypass valve when turbo was getting over disengaged supercharger I could feel dip in power. Not much but there was and even the top rps were good I knew it could be better. Now its like lift or vtec engaging. As a bonus there are cool sounds when bypass opens.

When it opens and supercharger still spins you can hear for a moment whats happenning inside intake. It sounds a bit like plane hiding landing gear. Got some recording of that wanna hear? :-)