Bob's Ke15 Resto

airocobra

Been working on my other project , but done a little on the KE15 and it was unfortuneatly bad news in the Rust department , worked on a few panels and after removing paint , bog and chicken wire ( yes chicken wire ) , we are left with this . So the it would be nice to have some good panels is now I have to fine some better panels. Photos give you a bit of an idea of the problem -----

IMG_7108_zpse8df0372.jpg

IMG_7105_zps3d8b77e7.jpg

IMG_7101_zps6fcc2b49.jpg

P.S ---- may have just solved the panel drama ----- stay tuned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by airocobra

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Front guard problem , sort of solved !!!!! What is better than owning one KE15 ---- Answer , owning two KE15's. Found this on the weekend , not far from my place and very cheap. It has the drum front end ( no engine , diff , gearbox and not much interior ) But while the guards are rough , they have next to no rust . The same applies to doors , bonnet and even the boots not to bad. The rear quarters and wheel well are also intact. Just a couple of spots in the floor to do. I recon there is about 200 hours less work in this shell than the other.

IMG_7142_zpsd611a7f2.jpg

IMG_7143_zps642a3786.jpg

P.S. Most of the red you can see is not rust , but some sought of thick primer ---this is what may have saved this KE15 from rusting away to nothing .

Edited by airocobra

I know she looks really rough , but I have just finnished wire brushing all surface rust and bad rust areas, they have been converted and sealed , awaiting a back to bare metal respray . Considering the car has been siting in a paddock for the last 10 years that we know of, she is in remarkably good shape. So with all the running gear and interior of the the other shell , Ishould be able to make one good sound - period weekender . I am even giving some consideration to turning the rustier of the two shells into a class hillclimber . I have numerous AE86 bits in the shed ( small port 4AGE , DIFFS , Gearboxs etc etc ) Strip it down to super light spec ---- fibreglass panels , plastic windows etc etc . Just a thought at the moment , I still have a ae86 Levin to finnish , then a ST spec 1974 Celica to do , and also a AE86 Trueno copy ( lot of rust ) but complete . AND I have a non rust , straight AE86 shell . So some time down the track merge the two into another nice historic rego car. I am going to be a busy boy for quite a while .

IMG_7152_zps1f8d20f5.jpg

IMG_7153_zps6ffbfaeb.jpg

IMG_7156_zpsf2314645.jpg

IMG_7160_zpsf5dec40a.jpg

Edited by airocobra

It would be good to take it to the MAN ,but a bit expensive locally as no real competition. So I will do most the flat panels with stripper and sander and the harder to get to areas via SODA blasting. I have a soda blaster , but my compressor is not big enough to run it efficently . Saving for a big petrol driven unit , then I will be blasting away . A lot of money !!!!! but as I have 5 more definite resto projects in mind, then it is a worthwhile expense.

Also just purchased a 3 tonne Car Rottisoree at the right price , been looking for 2 years and I did not want one of the crappy Chinese ones. So now I will be able to be more effecient than the GMH factory. Getting a bit old and fatter so this is the way to go , no more on my back , on cold concrete in Winter, I hope.

Bob, I have an 18 CFM compressor if you need to borrow it at some stage or just drive over with the car on a trailer. You will need 15 Amp for the compressor though. Probably looking at the long weekend in October for the running gear change over in the KE so will drop the engine and box around once I am done.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the offer Paul , much appreciated , will keep that as a back up plan. My present units are only 12 CFM , on my estimation I need 19 CFM. But as I have a few other reqirements planned I am hoping to go all the way !!!!!!!!! 34 CFM. If you are going to do it big , do it real big ? With all these projects lined up it is time to make life a bit easier , no more wire brush to do axle housings , clean up the large amount of old rims I have , engine parts , gearboxes , panels etc etc , the list could go on for ever . Just have to scrape up some coin to make it happen , seem to have run out ,been on a bit of a spending spree of late . Cheers Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Both in the back yard now --- still collecting bits ----- 2nd shell now rust treated and sealed , awaiting bare metal strip down when the project really gets going. For the keen of eye , they will have noticed an enki 7" x 13" on the back of the white 15 , found a complete set . Who likes the Mazda rims on the front and who likes the enki's on the back . Which do you prefer and WHY ?

IMG_7164-001_zps78247405.jpg

IMG_7165-001_zpsfdf8b018.jpg

Edited by airocobra

Yeah the enki's look pretty good , perfect offset on the rear, even with the 205/60/13 rubber on, a roll on the rear guards and they will fit perfectly. But must put a front guard back on and see what the fronts looks like. I will still need the mazda rims for rego anyway. but if the tyre was only a 195/60/13 , then I reckon that it should be ok!

• 1 year later...

Still collecting bits !!!! ---- now have a low K's 4K and 5 speed to go into the brown/ black shell and it will become a roadie . The white car will probably be turned into a light weight hillclimb special . Fibreglass panels,bonnet, boot . Lexan windows, quaters and rear screen . Looking at grafting a AE86 front end and disc\ LSD rear end into it . I have AE86 writeoff as doner car with a small port 4age and t50 ( was rear ended ). Basicly a KE15 with all AE86 running gear. This is all down the track thou. I have a 80% finished T18 roadie and A ae86 Levin copy to get on the road first. Also in the wings is a 1UZ V8 / w58 AE86 track car to to build and a 4agze Trueno AE86 road car as well. So I should be in the shed for the next 10 years or so .

Back to the KE15/AE86 idea thou --- is there anyone out there that has attemped these mods to a KE10/11/15/17 . If so I would love to here from you and here of your trails and tribulations on the build .