Custom Ke 55 Ground Up Restoration.

MIKE KE55

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic build so far mate.

In terms of club reg, Victoria has a log book system where you can get 45 or 90 day registration.

For a great Toyota affiliated club, try http://www.tccav.org.au/ - They are involved with all kind of motorsports too, as well as being Vic-roads approved.

In terms of club reg, follow the guidelines on the website. TCCAV generally require you to attend 1 meeting a year with the club registered vehicle, then you're left to your own devices (so long as your membership doesn't lapse).

Most of the Vic club reg'd cars are through the TCCAV. They have a monthly meeting the 2nd Tuesday of each month starting at 7 at the Emerald Hotel in South Melbourne.

Cheers mate

Hey BZB, I'm using wd 40 in the vain hope it will keep it rust free. I'm hoping to bang it all out within two weeks, the sanding, then cover it all n wd40.

The logistics of taking the car to work vs investing in a compressor and welder are the big hang up at the moment. Once I have them I can start attacking the big problems, so I'm left with all the basic labour, which there's plenty of, to fill in the financial gaps that exist in this project.

Fortunately I'm collecting $250 worth of scrap a week, so there is fiscal hope yet..........

Hey Bowler, thanks for the info. That sounds much better than I thought. Cheers, I'll look in to it.

Having two ke55's I'd like to register and a Yaris makes for some expensive rego.

So I bought some clear acrylic rattle packs with the grand intentions of doing the body this weekend........

Ended up two hours with a rats tail file on the grills in between the bonnet and wind screen, then a mate popped over and we went for a drive in the 13B......

So this week hopefully I will cut the body to 1500 and seal it till I start on the doors, front quarters and prep for my flame job.

Bought a bag of flames pack which contains two flame patters which I really like and are very flexible in their interaction with each other.

Tape it in then etch primer it and bog like there's no tomorrow.

Going to stick with the 4k for now on the bare metal mullet mobile and look further in to a compressed air supercharger for it. Seems there's lots of talk about it but no results.

• 2 weeks later...

Tape it in then etch primer it and bog like there's no tomorrow.

I wouldn't recomend bogging over etch primer, etching primers and polyesters don't like each other, and ecth primers are a thing of the past, if your planning on keeping the car for a long time I would be using a good 2 part epoxy, it seals up the metal (etch primer dontseal up and prevent corrosion), scuf it up with some 120 on a d/a (or an orbital will do) and then lay your bog over that, its a little more expensive but it does a lot better job,

after you finish off your bog work, invert in some spray polyester, its like bog from a spraygun, 2pak, lay it on thick as ya like and then bl;ock it back, sands nicely, then primer over the top, I would be using 2k or 2pak, its so much easier, you use less of it and get better results from the gun!!

a good book to look out for is called "hot to paint your show car" look it up in booktopia.co or fishpond.com, or just the local library, its an awesome book, explains things really good and has heaps of pics for dumbasses like me!!

can't wait to see more progress on your car, gonna b awesome

krem

• 4 months later...

Totally gave up on polishing and went with high temp aluminium finish spray paint. Then I got distracted and eventually gave up due to financial frustration. so.........................nearly all of the clear coat has peeled off and the $3500 test required to engineer the 13b in to the other project disgusted me to depression. So I'm at 'the" impass which tests ones mettle.

• 1 year later...

Well, after somewhat of a break I'm at it again! I've spent several years and thousands of dollars and nothing much has changed, lol.

I have an appointment this coming week with an engineer to get around certifying the 13b project for Victoria.

I've decided to rally spec it and have bought gauges and fuses and switches for a full dash rebuild all rally style. Should look busy but stand-up all the same.

The wife an I had a new house built but more to the point a 6X12X3 shed for me so tonight is the first night the 13b project has been indoors.

Today I fitted a new water pump and fluffed around with hoses and electrical.

I've modified the Shite out of a 12a Nikki carburettor but for engineering I've bought a stock carb and am in the process of fitting a pcv and charcoal canister.

I've also purchased a full electric overhaul, coils, leads, cap, button etc and a fuel overhaul, fuel cell, surge tank, two Carter black pumps, regulator, braided lines, more AN fittings than a shop, banjo fittings etc

Tomorrow I'm using my unregistered permit to take her for another test drive to determine if the water seals are buggered on the 13b and catch up with Mif Man who has just had his Ke55 shell sprayed a lovely blue.

All is not lost!!!!!!