"overrated" Condition

Hello, I'm new here so I hope I don't ruffle any feathers. After a long time away from tinkering on old corollas (I was on the Oldcorollas yahoo mailing list back in the day), I decided to jump back in again. I have a couple of projects on the go - a KE55 CS sedan and a KE55 XX coupe - so I've been reading (lurking?) Rollaclub in earnest recently.

Some of you guys are doing some amazing builds. Things have come a long way with SR20's and the like, from when I last slotted a 5k into a '35 ten years ago.

One thing I've noticed on here a lot though - a lot of cars or parts are described as being in "overrated" condition? To me "overrated" means to overestimate the merits of, or to rate too highly ie:

"Do you like that car?"

"Nah it's full of bog, I think it's an overrated POS!"

If I bought something from eBay that was in overrated condtion I'd be PO'ed and would leave negative feedback.

Does "overrated" have a different meaning in automotive discussions?

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy
  • Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

A while ago this forum was having issues with people trying to sell rust-boxes and crapped-out cars as "m_i_n_t". To try and combat this, a word filter was rather humourously implemented to automatically change the word "m_i_n_t" into "overrated", to stop people trying to use it to sell cars that weren't in what would be classed as actual "m_i_n_t" condition (ie perfect paint, no tears in the interior, spotlessly clean, little/no modifications etc).

And to try and stop people getting around the filter by replacing the "i" with a "1", the word "m_1_n_t" was filtered out and replaced with "of questionable quality"

Note, the underscores are there to get around the word filter :P

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

As has been said before, it is the joke that just keeps giving. Every few months it crops back up, nice to see you've stepped back & asked what the go is, rather than get into an epic rage over it. :)

There's a few other filters, but we might just let you find them on your own. ;)

Trev cracked it the day we turned it on. Crafty bugger. So we had him killed..... (well I haven't seen him for a while so I assume we killed him)

I reckon we need to fix manuel to autocorrect to manual. At least as far as I'm aware all these KE70's don't come with a free spanish butler.

que.jpg

• Upvote 2