Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

T50 19 Or 20 Spline

Featured Replies

I'm sorry if this topic has come up a lot. I have looked everywhere and called up and it seems that everyone has a different response.

I have a '76 ke30, which has a stock 3k with k40 gearbox. I am searching for a T50 gearbox to go with my new 4age, but I don't know which spline to get.

Wiki says "All post ke20 K40 and K50 gearboxes have a 19 spline input shaft," which means that the shaft that’s on the car now would also be 19 spline, right?

One guy I called said I needed a TA22 Celica T50 because it has the same spline as my car. These gear box’s aren’t only extremely hard to find but also are 20 spline.

Could someone who has done this conversion please help me verify what I need.

Thanks in advance! ;)

Chris

It doesn't matter how many splines are on the input shaft of the gearbox that's in your car now, as you are taking that out.

 

I don't have much (any) experience with 4AG's and T50's but I imagine that as long as you get a clutch to match the splines on the input shaft of whatever gearbox you obtain - then you'll be apples.

 

A 5 speed from an AE71 Corolla is likely easier to find than a Celica box.

I'm running a KE30 tail shaft with a TA22 T50.

 

You could get a T50 from a AE71 or AE86, along with the tail shaft to get the front yoke to swap over to your KE30 one.

 

If you want to use the early TA22 T50 this might be useful:

 

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/engine-driveline-conversions/7521-series-bellhousing-old-t-series-transmission.html

If your going 4a engine i would go with a ae71 box (the later type).

 

The problem with bolting a ta22 box to a 4a bellhousing is that it will piss oil every where,you need to have

a spacer turned up.(Norbie i think is your man)

 

The advantage of using a ta 22 box is the shifter is perfect for early ke,s and will use the original drive shaft.

 

Although the sh#t diff will explode behind a 4a.

 

If you use the the later box the shifter is about 17 -20mm further back than factory and the rear output shaft is different

 

As all ready said the input shaft is not the problem because you will be changing the clutch any way.

 

food for thought.

Edited by corollaart

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.