Ke30 Front Brake Discs Upgrade, What Fits?

megamannz123

Just a quick question...

what discs and calipers can I fit to my ke30 as an easy upgrade as the standard discs are tiny! and with the new 5k the will be a little small. I don't want to change struts and have heard early Celica or Corona discs will fit straight on.

Has anyone done a conversion in their ke30/55 and can recommend an easy upgrade?

Cheers

Edited by megamannz123

Members dont see this ad

You'll need to do a strut upgrade. Or just get really good brake pads and see if you can get slotted rotors. I'm not 100% but the KE55 calipers may be better? Not sure if they both had the girlock calipers.

EDIT> The late model KE55 had Girlock calipers which would be kind of an upgrade. KE70 had the same calipers. They have a better range of performance pads too. Someone else will have to chip in whether they are bolt on but I'd assume so, may need rotors to suit.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

xt130 struts, big brakes, mine are a huge difference to standard, still running stock master, can upgrade easy to cressida brakes on top. opens the options to coilovers down the track, good shocky range and springs, i have xt130 struts in the front with i think ford capri?(convertable) model springs and possibly ke3x strut tops,.... maybe corona fits, with sigma lower control arms, handles like a dream

post-7052-0-60832100-1386024473.jpg

post-7052-0-48857700-1386024483.jpg

IMO as a "performance" upgrade, a full freshen-up of your braking system (new slotted discs, pads, calipers, bearings, hoses) is a cheap, easy and noticeable upgrade over the 30-40 year old wobbly worn out gear that's probably on your (and my!) car presently, and more than adequate for a 5K street car.

These bigger brake conversions certainly look cool, and kudos to the guys who can make them work without clashes or compromises - I'd love a bolt on set too!

But short of taking my car on a track and shaving seconds off a lap time (which I've never done), I never felt like my previous KE35 needed better brakes for the daily commute, than the new stuff I put on it.

Having said that, the Australian brakes fitted to my 55's do indeed appear chunkier than the Jap spec stuff I've seen on KE35s. But I haven't done a side-by-side comparo. One would imagine they're a bolt-in.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

What do you think you need a brake upgrade for? are you fading them on hills drives?

IMO as a "performance" upgrade, a full freshen-up of your braking system (new slotted discs, pads, calipers, bearings, hoses) is a cheap, easy and noticeable upgrade over the 30-40 year old wobbly worn out gear that's probably on your (and my!) car presently, and more than adequate for a 5K street car.

+1000!

The best thing i reckon you can do is take your calipers somewhere for a complete rebuild, new bores, new pistons and seals.

Do the same to the master cylinder, or just make sure its in good condition.

Then new discs, new pads, new rubber hoses, flush out all the garbage old brake fluid, put in some good high temp fluid.

And don't forget about the rear brakes too, new slave cylinders, shoes and drums work wonders.

Years ago I had s13 brakes in my ke70, which were chunky ~260mm? x 20? discs (on a ke70 anyway). I thought the braking was good. But when i "downgraded" to ae86 jdm stuff (234 x 18? discs), I bought everything brand new as described above. even though the brakes were smaller on the ae86, the braking performance was 10 fold even though i had smaller brakes.

Yeah I think a rebuild of what I already have might be the go, as I do want to keep the car as Toyota intended as much as possible. Reason for the upgrade is that I often travel in 110km zones and stopping from that speed down a hill is a bit much for the old brakes, already have new hoses and master cylinder, so discs, pads, rear shoes etc should help.

I just thought there might be a bigger disc/calliper that would bolt straight on.

Cheers

110km/h is only about 70mph...I do that every single day going to work and back in the middle of all the idiots...

Finally found someplace over here that has the parts and I just put in new Brembo 200mm rotors, new calipers and pads...hoses are only a year old...stops great. (I had never had the old rotors turned, just kept puttin new pads on for 20 years...they were about 5mm thick and wavy as hell when I put em next to the new ones, ha ha)

I have new drums & stuff for the rear too, but I have to get the drum centers bored out a quarter inch. I could not get KE10 drums but everything is the same (except the center hole where it fits on the hub) on the later model...Ke20's I think, I'd have to look at my ticket.

Also, (unrelated cuz you aint driving a KE10)but if you can't get the kit for the iron KE10 master cylinder...If you get two kits for the later model (same bore) you will have enough rubber bits to do the KE10...one of the rubber cups in the later model will not fit. Of course there seem to be many more options on that side of the water than over here, but this has worked for me.

Edited by CorollaNut68