Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke55-S Xx Coupe

Featured Replies

  • Author

Went for a run up the range today. First drive out of town. Thought I'd give it a go  

With a couple of petrol stops I cslculated I've been getting 9.0 litres/100km city, 7.5 litres/100km highway. So I was fairly happy with that.

I think the tyres on these 15" rims are a bit old and hard, and could do with replacing. Or I have some mildly staggered 13s I wouldn't mind re-tyring (sic) also. 

IMG_3463.thumb.JPG.db4757b6ae859e513b2624319fc58f01.JPG

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

  • Replies 244
  • Views 303.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Hey Man, I had a young bloke look at my daughters 79' coupe this afternoon and offered me $1000 what an insult, after reading your blog here I might just rebuild this little gem to all its glory and k

  • corollaart
    corollaart

    MARCH!!! :drinks:

  • Mechanical Sympathy
    Mechanical Sympathy

    Season's greetings Rollaclub! Thanks to the admins and financial contributors who keep our projects, anecdotes, images and knowledge base online.    Cafe racer burger run. 

Posted Images

  • Author

Just about Mat!

A close up on that photo will reveal the persistent drop of coolant sitting on the thermostat housing.

I nipped it up, but a few drops still make their way out as the engine warms but stop when it's warmed up. 

So I expect the gasket has been compromised and needs to be replaced.  At least that's easy.

I worry about another coolant dump, as happened to the inlet manifold. Nonetheless it held for the return trip to T'bar last Sunday.

Are you heading to All Japanese Classic Day on Sunday? I could meet you at the Gaythorne 7/11 at ~7am if you're going?

  • Author

Yewww! I was about to try talk you into it.

I'm not really familiar with the format, as I've never been before either.  But I assume we just roll up, park up and pop the bonnets.

Yeah you gotta let people have a look at what you've done!

So I reckon around 7am at the 7/11 for a 7.30 arrival at Banyo?

Techincally my car was made in Victoria, so hopefully there's no scrutineering

IMG_3435.thumb.JPG.8d80b1eefe78c3b3ce9fcaf10bfaf0d0.JPG

  • Author

I agree, queuing makes me anxious. 6.45 with a large coffee to go!

I'd better knock up a new thermostat gasket tonight then. A quick peek last night revealed a decent patch of greenery on the shed floor.

  • Author

Matt I almost found some photos of your car!

The raucous din of ITBs on greasy suburban roads, cutting through the still morning air on the way over was a highlight

IMG_3474.thumb.JPG.c72fad730d787b75a2bd571389f26b9a.JPGIMG_3475.JPG.cde38180e0af9c89db7dcd4bdb3ea162.JPG

Looking great fellas, well done, it looked like a nice day to showcase your hard work.

We don't have enough of these types of events in Perth.

Yeah it would have to be the most popular 4 cyl turbo engine used for conversions, it's hard to think of any other that would be more common, world wide usage of SR's would be nuts.

Your car looks sweet, I would love to see it with a set of wider wheels and dropped an inch or so, it would change its attitude so much.

 

 

  • Author

I think I was surprised at just how small some of the cars were that had SR20s stuffed in, and just how big the turbos were. They must be a handful to drive on the street.

Cheers! Indeed that's a common "critique". I have some friends in Toowoomba who manufacture split mono leafs and rear sliders for drag racing - they're always bugging me to reset the leaves/add a leaf and drop it on its guts.

But mine was one of the few cars that negotiated the driveway out of the event without having to take a considered approach angle, so as not to scrape. 

So I know I'm being a fuddy-duddy about it, but it's practical and comfortable!

I do have a staggered set of 13" wheels in lower offsets that I might get around to fitting soon. The tyres on the 15" "Superlites" are getting old, hard and slippery. I'll keep you all posted haha.

 

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

I've been getting the old nugget out to Coffee and Cars.

It's fun to have a chat with all the people who have had an old Corolla - which is practically everyone.

I still seem to struggle keeping the magic green fluid inside! Certainly winter showed the deficiencies in my heater core.

The 13" Jovites have been repaired and 3/4 of them are polished. Taking my time.

Think I need new rear axle bearings.. They're making themselves known at around a $1.20 on the highway.

If anyone has advice on rechroming and buffing the tail-lights and surrounds, I'd love to hear it.

IMG_3641.thumb.JPG.098d50fd35f2b92c778d7827fcbb9ce4.JPGIMG_3640.thumb.JPG.901d0cb6bed93111b0fbea85d88d490b.JPGIMG_3639.thumb.JPG.b7246e821213fb5eea100fe6f5cc3e92.JPGIMG_3638.thumb.JPG.e0e1865676755c5f1e6bcf1be1b1a7bc.JPGIMG_3642.thumb.JPG.63aca6920541bdc5ac681a122fd93804.JPG

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.