My Ke25 4Agte Irs Project

.T.

Another small update

Finished the jig.

68_zpsf766766a.jpg

67_zps7e04ce7d.jpg

No engineering masterpiece, but then again it didn't need to be - should be sterdy enough for the 2 uses it will have!

May even get time this weekend to start setting it up with the cutdown subframe.

Members dont see this ad

Not much time to work on car project over the weekend, but did get around to setting up the subframe.

Jig, set to -100mm (100mm narrower)

44_zps6b7cc48e.jpg

looks like a mess of wood & a few bolts without the subframe in there!

& now with the narrowed subframe in there...

45_zps15fc144e.jpg

Its all tacked together now. Have to remove it from the jig to fully weld the underside of the front x-member, then have to fit the mounts for the top (traction rod mount) arms - will be reinforcing them too as this is apparently a problem area on these subframes.

Not sure if I should go to the point of reducing anti-squat on the frame or not....

ie http://www.aus300zx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253088

Will prob just leave it as it is, so I can move onto the next stage of the project - fitting the subframe. Can always come back & play with the geometry later.

will be a bit of work thats for sure! but no big deal.

hmm $nz1000 for a machined 1/2" plate - that's really expensive!! basically quite similar to what I planned on making - but $1000??!! who are they kidding!

maybe I'll need to see how much my proposed adaptor will cost - i'm sure for ~$400 there would be a market for it?

subframe now fully welded & traction rod mount modified to fit in original postion (yet to be welded on) comes out of the frame & goes back in, so it didn't distort during welding.

subframe now finished

450_zps98346d18.jpg

451_zps51c7dd42.jpg

now looks quite different to the other frame - short & squat. (& yes I know the other frame is a hicas frame! - the two rear arm mounts are slightly different on the hicas frame - anyone got a standard s13 subframe they don't want?)

undercoated it last night. not sure if i should paint it up or not, because I know for sure if i do, i'll want to modify something on it later.

now to look at removing all the diff/ fuel tank etc from the '25......should not take too long considering how little is under there!

• 1 month later...

Managed to scam some suspension bits from a wrecker I know who is throwing out a lot of stuff

134_zpsacf118f7.jpg

r32/33 lower arms, 2 x s13 lower arms & a rather rare s13 abs front hub. The front hub will assist me is setting up the supra abs system I'm putting on these cars

Edited by .T.

• 3 weeks later...

small update.....

Cut up the other (hicas) subframe to start on the other car's irs (ke20) Looks like a load of scrap right now......

345_zps1e688eed.jpg

When I bought the ke20, it didn't have a bonnet. The bonnet I sourced had some damage on the front edge where another car had been lowered down onto it (on a hoist) so when I was getting some dints taken out of a car we had bought (dint doctor) I had left the bonnet with him to get him to fix it up as it was a rust free bonnet. Last week I realised that I had not heard from him & he has had the bonnet for over a year! I calld him up & foudn out that he had relocated to queensland! However the bonnet was still in the factory that he had shared with another guy. I was picking up some parts in bayswater so i organised to pick up the bonnet at the same time. Lucky to get it back - had not been touched unfortunatly - so then I decided I might as well have a go at it - I pushed the dint out from inside, then mechanically stripped the bonnet (strip disks) I really can't use paint stripper at home any more with 3 kids & dogs etc.

47_zps5dbe632a.jpg

I scrapped 2 tr7 bonnets recently so both corolla bonnets are going to get 2 louvered vents grafted in as well (one car is to be turbo, the other is supercharged, so it can't hurt to pull some more air out of the engine bay!). I have a painter working with me 2 days a week right now so its easy for me to get panels painted in 2-pac undercoat.

p23_zpsd2ee1c1e.jpg

(This is a rare double-hump tr8 bonnet, this is not the bonnet i'm scrapping - but it does show the louvered vents I'll be using)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a huge amount to report. We have decided to sell the house & move southward to a larger property (read - bigger shed) possibly a hobbie farm to keep wife & kids happy, so most of my spare time has been spent working on the existing house, tidying up all the crap lying around & selling some of that crap on ebay etc.

Still had a small amount of time to spend on the cars.

Rust repair of passenger front guard - had been damaged some time in the distant past & just bogged - now all rusted through in places, so not realistically repairable. I managed to get a good front section off another guard to graft on

123_zps406f6193.jpg

If the rest of the guard was not really good, I'd probably try & get another guard. Hard to find good parts for 40 year old cars though!

11_zps5a2628be.jpg

Got the under bumper panel & boot lid into 2-pac primer/sealer.

I also got one of the plastic front spoilers (smaller 50mm type) to fit - I'll set it all up & then we'll remake it in carbon fibre methinks

12_zps3ed85135.jpg

& finally the primed bonnet (off my wifes ke20 actually, not touched the ke25 bonnet yet)) only ke20/25 bonnet in the world with tr7 bonnet vents grafted in! Need to do a bit of filling still as the donor bonnet was not that good, due to some previous (hoist) damage - no rust in it though which was a bonus.

Well no real car progess to speak off - every spare moment is being spent on the house - basically really want to get the house on the market by end of november ideally, & there is a lot of things to be done. Have already looked at 3 potential houses in the area we want to live in, & rejected all of them.

& just for fits & giggles - its my oldest daughters birthday next month (she will be five) & for some reason she, & her sister have become literally obsessed with mini's - no idea why, we certainly have not encouraged this to happen. Her favourite colour is pink, so I thought I'd make her a "special" for her birthday. Since her sister is 3, she does not yet get that birthdays are just for one person, so she will have to get something as well, so 2 "specials" were required!

So start with 2 limited edition "hot wheels" mini cars (It's all i could find at the time)

m1_zpsdcf2ba98.jpg

m2_zpsf9d6e066.jpg

Poor little thing, it does not know whats about to happen!!

Dissasemble, & start by masking up the roll cage (yes it does have one)

m3_zpsf8b6f56c.jpg

m4_zps9c98f520.jpg

all prepped & ready for paint!

(& yes that is real carbon fibre its sitting on)

m5_zps3ffcbb41.jpg

Chassis all detailed

m6_zps08659292.jpg

Paint shop in operation. (painted in 2K) New record! 2 cars stripped, prepped & painted in one day!! :)

m7_zpsd77c2b49.jpg

All finished & ready to drive!!

Hopefully they will be appreciated & not destroyed in one day.

(If only it was that easy to do the corollas!!)