I'm A Bit Nervous...

Hey everyone, lookin for quick replies.

Tomorrow there's a motorkhana at Willowbank, and I wanna know if any of you lot are gonna be there.

A Holden car club, whose name I have forgotten, is holding it, but all species of car are welcome.

Aaanyway...I am very poor. My beloved Corolla is my only, and very neccessary, form of transport.

It is a bone stock KE30. No engine mods, no suspension mods. It is in very good nick, however.

Being 17, I fear I may not be the most ultra talented driver in the world.

My question is, am I going to look like a total fool if I choose to compete, and will it result in me rolling my car,

thus destroying my life?

Members dont see this ad

From memory you don't even have to wear a helmet, so I dare say CAMS is fairly confident you wont be rolling your car or smashing into things with much speed. I doubt you'll do any damage and even if you do break down the guys around here will be the first ones to jump in and lend a hand.

Piece of cake. I started in a bog stock KE25 ..... errrr... a number of years ago.

I can't see you hurting it, I've literally done over a hundred of these things, and if you're sensible about things, all will be good.

While you're there, drop into the autocross track and say gday, I'll be there tomorrow with my red 55.

Dude, you won't look like a fool, everyone has to start somewhere, and the people at Holden Club are really helpful and friendly.

Don't worry, you'll have a fat time.

R

Edited by Redwarf

I went to the motorkhana, had a great time. Holden Sporting Car Club is tops, I'm now a member.

Didn't compete though, I had no idea of what I might have been getting myself into, so never purchased the CTP extension. However, next event, I'm there.

Oh, handy piece of advice, children, next time you buy rego, switch to Suncorp. They don't charge anything for the CTP extension, unlike the pirates at QBE who charge $10 per day.

I had the power of the mighty Datto 1600 demonstrated amply, they were easily the quickest road cars there.

Somebody trailered in a sad old ke55 and caned shite out of it. It was pretty poor, gave me a fairly good impression of how mine will behave *witnesses horrific body roll, painful axle tramp, severely beaten clutch, tyres and engine*.

But meh. These are the sacrifices we lay at the altar of the hoon gods.

Some of those specials were nuts. Picture a Mini engine with tyres, with a tube frame outrigger holding a seat and two more tyres. Sick mate, sick.

I'd be more inclined to race a KE30-55 because I have already developed a bit of a parts stash for these particular models. Plus I really like the car; in a sport like that I would be put up against drivers with much more experience than me, and the majority of them would be older than me; i'm not out there to win, i'm out there to have fun.

I'll listen to Rob :y: I've heard good things about you!

• 1 month later...

Saw Corolla Test Pilot at the motorkhana on the weekend, and a few things:

1) Not sure if I mentioned, but the interior of your car is absolutely overrated. The dash is perfect and untouched, the carpets are perfect, the original vinyl seats are perfect, hell it even has the original leather door handles. Wow. I've never never seen another Corolla like it. Nice score :)

2) Very well driven :) For a first go at it, you did extremely well - no WD's, no flags, neat and tidy, good to see. Keep at it, you'll go places I recon :D

3) As much as I don't think I'll be doing many events at all this year (hell that may be my first and last motorkhana for the year), hope to see you out there again!

Edited by demuire

hey guys i was wondering how u start to compete in such events and if there are any located around sydney?

The cams website is a good place to start, Scince you will need a CAMS licence to be able to compete in motorkhanas..

http://www.cams.com.au/

Also you will need to join a car club as well (Part of the requirement of the CAMS licence).

http://www.cams.com.au/Content.asp?PageID=Clubs

Try search for a club in your area..