Vacuum Pump 3K

Andy43

Looking at options to create a vacuum in the sump of the 3k.

(Yeh don't ask just want to dyno with the sump under vacuum see what happens to HP)

was there any k series engines that came equiped with a vacuum pump ?

Or does anyone know of alternator that would bolt on with a vacuum pump built it ?

Members dont see this ad

Id say something from a Diesel alt that has the vac pump on back. Bosch make a few and knowing how there mounts are similar possibly a few housing mods and be bolt on.

But the nitty gritty part....A) I'm getting close but sealing up a K motor is HARD work..lol But my ke11 nearly has a clean bay and has gone 10,000km and hasnt needed oil top up :)

B) low friction rings. I take it the engine your building is for racing. Most K motor stuff be run of the mill STD rings. Id say a nice set of custopm made ones would match but big $$$.

C) running vac set ups on V8's can net say 50HP....K motor...has about 50HP new lol So marginal gains....for a lot of ucking around.

Not to discourage you I have always though of the idea love to try it on a K motor never had a dyno or time etc...So go for it Ill be watching to see results.

Cheers

Cameron

can be sealed BUT hard...

Other month I put a NEW seal in front timing cover and a machined front pulley all restored etc and still get a small leak from there in my 3K in the KE11.

MANY MANY points in a k motor kinda leak/weap over the years Toyota changed stuff over the years to improve it and that. Takes some work but by removing fuel pump running external one resealing sump with OEM gasket etc and lapping surfaces and that a nice clean K motor can be assembled and run. Mine isnt spot on needs a new rear seal but other wise a few drips from front seal its pretty dry....

flogged 5k in my KE15 thats a nother story...I check fuel level at a servo and refill the oil..lol

Been reading about vacupan setup, improves piston ring sealing and hence more HP.

Check out 4 stroke performance tuning by Greame Bell. its got a great section on it.

The Datsun Sunny's with the 12A we race against make more HP and have better factory suspension and better aftermarket strut options.

The 3k needs everybit of help it can get LOL

Would the stock air-con compressor do it?? Just another air pump...

The Mothership is an Isuzu truck with the brake vac pump on the back of the alty. Must be some at truck wreckers.

Figuring out how much vac and how many revs will be the trick. I assume you'll spin the vapour out and catch the oil.

This is where the bhp increase in dry sumping comes from- nice idea Andy!

Friend put his fresh 565 c.i. BBC on the dyno and it turned 960 odd horsepower, then 997 with the vacuum pump turned on.

When he got it home he realised that a vacuum fitting on the rocker cover was loose. So then he's like, "If only it was sealed.. etc." he migh've got it to 1000 hp.

Full bodied HG Kingswood - does 7 second quarters on 275 radials.

Whereas I play with $400 Corollas.

I play with K bangers. Vacuumed sump will reduce resistance on compression stroke. More hp to be had.

If we wanted rotories or others we'd be on the corresponding forum....

IE: psoff unless you can value add to the conversation.

I play with K bangers. Vacuumed sump will reduce resistance on compression stroke. More hp to be had.

If we wanted rotories or others we'd be on the corresponding forum....

IE: psoff unless you can value add to the conversation.

Who is that directed at? A rotary was only mentioned by the original poster as a typographical error and I mentioned a chev because 40hp was gained using a leaking vacuum pump.

Reading and comprehension dude.

I'd also suggest your value-adding assertion is incorrect. A vacuumed sump will reduce resistance on the expansion stroke.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy