Most Responsive Tachometers??

ATOYOTA

Ok, so I've got this really rev-happy race engine on bike carbs and I'm after a tachometer that can match the revs with minimum jittering and lag.

It's kinda hard to find information on this online because everyone's into fvcking turbos these days and throttle response is literally laughable (everyone I talk to laughs hysterically at the ludicrous idea of an engine actually making power, WHEN YOU BLOODY WELL WANT IT).

What are some good starting points to look at? What are the racers using? I'd like to see it in action to gauge responsiveness before committing to buy and go to the effort of fabricating a cluster surround.

Members dont see this ad

You need a diode in the tach signal wire. It will smooth out the jitters at all rpm on most tacos.

I've got about 50 of them here. I tried marketing them once but no one seemed interested, so if you pm me some details I'll post you a few or ill bring some to all jap day in a couple of weeks, you can find me there.

Edited by GJM85

The LFA/IS-F tacho is pretty damn impressive. I know I'll never get my hands on a bit of gadgetry like that but even lexus' needle gauges seem to be pretty quick. The sort of response I'm trying for is something like this:

Stepper motor is the way to go; needle drop/lag from mechanical gives me the shits, not to mention every bump makes the needle jump a bit.

• 2 months later...

If you are driving while its dark with a digital tacho, sometimes they can be annoying with all the LEDs pointing at your face. My mates HZ ute bushbasher has a dash I made out of sheet metal in it and the tacho is like a torch in your face at night.

Not the we drive at night (no headlights lol)

But the digi tachos are pretty good otherwise. Some of them come in pretty colours that you can match to your car as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Old thread but...

If you are happy to fabricate, why don't you source a tacho from a bike? I imagine it would be fairly compact.

Haven't been on much lately myself..

Yeah, a bike tach was actually something I had in mind too, considering how quick & high they rev (my engine goes to about 10 grand so that limits auto gauges a bit).

Cheers for all the suggestions guys.

• 2 months later...