June 3, 201412 yr comment_683716 I have a silver KE55 XX coupe that I'm preparing to upgrade with a 2TG and it needs some rust repairs and a backyard snick'n'respray. It was resprayed by the previous owner and it wasn't a bad job but by his admission the Super Cheap clear coat he used was crap and soon deteriorated so that now all the top surfaces have either coarsened or flaked off. I've painted an RX7 in silver acrylic before and I wasn't happy with the result. It looked fine - like a maintained example of a 30 year old car. But not a freshly painted one. A friend bought the RX7 off me and painted it again in silver acrylic and got the same result. Actually I reckon my job was better. Spray painters I've spoken to have suggested that silver is the hardest colour to get right - and that my other problem was painting in acrylic. I lol'd out loud. Unfortunately my budget won't allow a professional 2 pak job. Looking at the result of other touch up jobs I've done I think I'd be much happier painting a solid colour in acrylic, with a clear coat over to buff it up. Even though it's not a safety conscious colour, I'm interested in grey/gray but can't think of many cars that some in grey to copy the paint code. Fiat 500 Campovolo Grey seems too light, like primer. Hyundai Veloster Sprint Grey is getting closer. But I think I want something darker. I think I saw a new grey Mazda BT50 the other day but wasn't sure. My question is - short of mixing a custom colour - is selecting a grey paint as simple as choosing a modern gun metal grey colour, say off a Mazda 3 or CX5, and not adding the aluminium powder (or whatever it is that makes metallic paints metallic)? I'd like the result to be repeatable, though I suppose I only want to do it once anyway... Report
June 4, 201412 yr comment_683725 In my opinion basecoat is basecoat be it acrylic or two pack, the application is totally different for both, acrylic will always give a deeper finish especially with special effects stuff like pearl and candy, its more durable and repairable aswell, i reckon two pack is for spraypainters that are allergic to cutting compound or lambswool! Report
June 4, 201412 yr comment_683726 Where you located? John's Paint shed in lytton brisbane is very good. Ive sprayed in acrylic, my old ke70 was acrylic, and i recenetly did some speaker boxes in black which came out very good. Like piano black finish. The key is to get the air right so its not all orange pealy, put down LOTS of clear coat after (i did like 10 coats), then wait a few weeks untill the paint is hard, sand the clear back using 1500 gritt, and polish with cutting compound and your choice fine polish (turtle wax or whatecer) As for colour, pick a car and just walk into a decent paint shop and say you want that color. last time i was at johns paint shed they had these huge books with all the colours in it sorted by make/model. And you can modify the paint, ask for a bit darker etc. The paint shop is going to have to "custom" mix the colour anyway, so nothing wrong with making it a bit different. You could even buy a small amount of it and try it out. don't be afraid of metalic paint, i did ke70 in it and it turned out fine, no different to normal paint for amateurs. And yes you can just get them to remove the metalic from paint you want. Id be weary of non metalic grey, most ive seen look like someone has just put clear coat over the primer... Report
June 4, 201412 yr Author comment_683728 Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I tend to agree - spraypainters are like miners. They like to perpetuate the myth that it's hard to do for the money. I'm in Brisbane, northside. Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Johns Paint Shed. I saw a warmed over Datsun 200B pull up beside me the other week. It was a mid-colour grey - not primer shade, not dark. And it looked like secks. But I take your point. Maybe I'll do some more thinking. Silver could be alright - I'll certainly lay more clear next time. The RX7 only had 2 or 3 clear coats. It probably wasn't too bad in hindsight. This is the day I sold it. Phuck it was a hose beast. Report
June 4, 201412 yr Author comment_683736 Wow nice one! That's puts the old acrylic vs 2 pack argument to rest. Report
June 4, 201412 yr comment_683739 Wow nice one! That's puts the old acrylic vs 2 pack argument to rest. Dare say he's monster flake fairlane would have looked mental with a polish. When I get him to redo the paint on the 11(damn right you are!) it will be acrylic. I'd throw even more clear at the bay. My datto wasn't clear coated in the bay when prev owner did it and geez it stains easily. Edited June 4, 201412 yr by kickn5k Report
June 4, 201412 yr comment_683740 The cutting back of the clear coat really makes or breaks acrylic finish. Gotta be so patient and careful. Report
June 4, 201412 yr comment_683745 acylic is inferior paint every day of the week, there really is no argument vs 2 pack. The best part about acrylic paint is it breaths really well, so all the moisture can get to the bottom where the metal is, then rust can slowly form under your paint. In my opinion basecoat is basecoat be it acrylic or two pack, the application is totally different for both, acrylic will always give a deeper finishespecially with special effects stuff like pearl and candy, its more durable and repairable aswell, i reckon two pack is for spraypainters that are allergic to cutting compound or lambswool! comments like this make me think its the preferred option because its available from supercheap in fully sic pressure packs brah. Report
June 4, 201412 yr comment_683746 Dare say he's monster flake fairlane would have looked mental with a polish. When I get him to redo the paint on the 11(damn right you are!) it will be acrylic. I'd throw even more clear at the bay. My datto wasn't clear coated in the bay when prev owner did it and geez it stains easily. Anytime stu i can't wait well do the 11 and the corona together, itll be like a bowls club getogether lol! Report
June 4, 201412 yr comment_683751 The best part about acrylic paint is it breaths really well, so all the moisture can get to the bottom where the metal is, then rust can slowly form under your paint. My god! all these years i had no idea!? Report
June 9, 201412 yr comment_683950 In my opinion basecoat is basecoat be it acrylic or two pack Well.. Acrylic is a paint that likes to expand and shrink through weather conditions.. ie heat and cold.. If you spray 2pak over acrylic it will crack.. 2pak dries hard, So if you have an undercoat that's expanding and shrinking under a solid hard coat of paint.. 2pak shits all over acrylic/ enamel. I sprayed mine acrylic due to the fact it's easy to spray and easy to buff.. That's it. Now my cars getting sprayed at an actual paint shop i wouldn't touch anything other than 2pak.. After speaking to a spray painter of 40 years who said 2pak is the only way to do it properly.. I'll take his word If you're after a nice grey colour look at the new commodores on the Holden site, There's a grey they've brought out now that's awesome, Gets almost a bronze tinge in the sunlight Report
June 11, 201412 yr comment_684029 Ohh this oughta be good!, The better half had a bit of a moment and reversed her xr6t into the brick fence!!!! Substantial damage was caused including folding over the rear 1/4 panel and putting a large crease behind the wheel arch, and some really deep gouges in the rear bar cover, NOT GOOD!! The excess on her insurance is $780 and may cause her to loose her perfect rating so.... it looks like I'm on the job :thumbsup: All good kiddies, guess what ill be using? not really tryin to be clever, just proving a point ill make a thread for you all, have a look if your interested..... ( Hey i might make a meal of it yet!) Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now