5K E85

yo doods, getting my twin 40mm dcoe rebuilt and walked out the door before i could ask the carb guy about rebuilding to suit e85. ihave read positive things in regards to power but uses more fuel,

its a stinkin weekender with no consideration for the environment, is it worth setting the car up for e85 as the servo all of 200m from my house has just started selling it??

interested to see if anyone else out there is running a k series or old carb motor for that matter with...., stock/warm/hot engine and how they have found how well it runs, power and efficency.

cheers

Members dont see this ad

E85 is ALOT different to normal petrol, and alot different to the E10.

e10 = 10% ethanol, 90% normal petrol

E85 = 85% ethanol, 15% fuel. (approx)

You need like ~30% more e85 to get the same energy as ordinary petrol.

Persumably on a carby you just need to make the Jets alot bigger to compensate for this extra fuel.

Other problem with E85 is that the ratio of ethanal to petrol is not consistent, that's why cars that come from the factor "E85 ready" have a sensor that can detect the ethanol/fuel ratio and make changes to the tune as required.

The ethanol in E85 is also known to eat rubber, so you would need to change all the fuel hoses, and any seals and gaskets, to ones that can withstand the e85 fuel.

Most guys convert their cars to e85 for the fact that it is about ~105 octane, great for highly strung high compression turbo engines that run agressive ignition timing.

I'm not sure you would see much advantage on an old K motor?

We converted my mates 12a turbo to e85, it went better, but reality is, 200km to a tank and hardly any fuel stations around carrying it, we felt it wasn't worth the trouble.

E85 no doubt soaks up water from the atmosphere too, then rusts the fuel tank out.

But as the world is still running out of petrol we'll all end up using it!

Mine run fine on the United 10% ethanol, and although straight 98 uses less fuel by about 1-2L/100km, the price difference makes it not worth it.

E85 is a pretty awesome race fuel, it has serious benefit on a serious turbo setup, or a very high comp na engine. On the other hand it's really good at cleaning, you tank, lines, etc, so there can be some real problems with changing over with an old system. The other problem is it hates sitting at all, weeks not months, and turns to a gunk and causes some real blockage problems. If your motor is na and not built with high comp E85 in mind I wouldn't bother.

• 1 year later...

well motor is 11.6:1 and big cam lightened and balanced hoping for 100+hp. just throwing ideas around. i have read it doesnt like alloys but yeah might talk to carb builder what he reckons

Not enough comp to make it efficient. Want to be atleast 12.5-13:1, I've seen 12:1 engines with 3mm thick carbon build up on pistons after 2,000kms.

As for e85 and carbs. Joe Gibbs oils, do an additive for ethanol fuels for carburetor engines. It's called "carb defender".