Where To Get A Good Price On Quality Shocks?

Olbert

The front left shock on my car is leaking grease and I have been told the back shocks are a bit old and have caused uneven ware on my rear tyres. I am planning to fix it all myself.

I have seen shocks on ebay (from the USA) for less than $400 + postage for all four. I don't want to buy off the net because I am unsure of the quality. I got quoted from Repco $574 for both front shocks (E7008) and $161 for each rear shock (341338) - the guy mentioned they were Monroe shocks and did not come with springs.

I would prefer to get them locally from a reputable dealer rather than the net - plus I would like to do the fix this weekend rather than wait forever for a package to arrive.

Is $896 for all four shocks (no springs) a reasonable price? Can I get them reasonably quickly for a better price and still get good quality?

Also I read on the net that people hire spring clamps from auto parts dealers. Is this an American thing? I asked about it at Repco and they said they only sold them ($72).

Members dont see this ad

I got quoted from Repco $574 for both front shocks (E7008) and $161 for each rear shock (341338) - the guy mentioned they were Monroe shocks and did not come with springs.

341338 is a KYB part number not a Monroe part number, and they don't come with springs because you don't usually replace the springs.

Is $896 for all four shocks (no springs) a reasonable price? Can I get them reasonably quickly for a better price and still get good quality?

Going off the KYB part number you gave us I'm assuming you have a ZZE122R Corolla. I just looked it up and a pair of aftermarket KYB dampers will cost you ~$380 for both the fronts and ~$250 for both the rears from Supercheap Auto, so $630 all up. But Supercheap Auto will not give you trade price, if you can get the trade price from Repco then go with that. KYB are good quality, as are Monroe.

Also I read on the net that people hire spring clamps from auto parts dealers. Is this an American thing? I asked about it at Repco and they said they only sold them ($72).

That is an American thing, I've never encountered it here in Australia. $72 is not bad for a pair of spring compressors, and is definitely cheaper than paying someone to change the dampers for you.

Edited by rian

You need a Repco Trade Card to get trade price, you can usually just fill out a form in store that gets sent to their head office, then they send you back a card. It may take a couple of weeks to get the card, but they may give you the trade discount then and there if you fill out the form in the store. I don't know what the criteria are for a trade card application but it wouldn't hurt to try. Otherwise you could ask your friends/family if anyone has a trade card.

• Upvote 1

There are spring clamps that lower coil springs by clamping some coils together and are a permanent thing, not a good idea.

Spring compressors as such clamp down coils just to allow you to install and remove springs into the strut assembly, known for being

abused and also cheap versions exploding as such I recommend you look around for good ones that are good quality and fit to the coil.

Consider a suspension place to do it all for you, it could be cheaper them buying the parts and its an easy job.

I've just had a thought:

What about shocks from car wreckers? How much would I be looking at for all four shocks from a wreckers place? And how trustworthy would they be?

Especially considering the rest of the car has done a lot of kilometres and I don't want to plow $$$ into it just to have something else die on me.

Wrecker dampers would almost be free, doubt they would charge you much at all. Unfortunately its a lot of work to get them out and

its hit and miss on the condition, most likely worn. Try a suspension shop or ebay.

Edited by styler