Head Gasket Failure

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your head has been skimmed a few times or its had a big skim the bolts are probably too long and are just hitting the bottom of the thread and not pullin the head down, if it didnt get hot or anythin like that you should be able to get away with a skim/shave, where did it blow exactly?.

Then you were lucky.

Ask the TRD Brothers, Teddy, Felix, Xany, Redwarf...

Headgaskets are supposed to be retorqued at 1000km!

I hate to break it to you, but I use Monotorque gaskets, and I've never in recent history retorqued a head. Sorry. :P

Once upon a time though, it was a must.

Detonation will kill head gaskets pretty quickly too...I see in the other thread you made you were having trouble getting the timing right, was this on the same motor?

yep, that'll do it.

I know it sorta a different kettle of fish, but with my turbo 4k, I run a locked dizzy set on about 20o advance at idle. what this effectively does is lower the compression on the top end when on boost. I have done this rather than de-comping the engine. at one stage i had a an unlocked dizzy in it with the turbo, and it constsantly blew head gaskets! :P

Detonation will kill head gaskets pretty quickly too...I see in the other thread you made you were having trouble getting the timing right, was this on the same motor?

yes it is on the same motor, changed distrbuter, changed carbie to webbers, still runs on and wont rev. :)

it was a monotorque head gasket.

Edited by chrisandliz

Try some premium (or 98) for a week and see if it stops running on

I only use BP or Mobil...

Caltex (aka Shell) fuel has always made my car run like a pile of crap

BP doesnt fuel swap Ultimate

Shell claims not to fuel swap Optimax and truck it from sydney (their nearest refinery AFAIK)

Mobil wont comment on fuel swapping (I dare say they swap everything.. nearest refinery is melbourne I believe)

Caltex has a refinery in Brisbane so they don't need to fuel swap here.

wasnt someone on another thread having similar problems with the timing on a ke70? turns out he had a stuffed muffler, i guess if it was bad enough the trapped fuel would run on, the heat and back presure would ignite it and all those things combined would kill a head gasket in 5000km real easy, does the car sound like an asmatic at revs?

wasnt someone on another thread having similar problems with the timing on a ke70? turns out he had a stuffed muffler, i guess if it was bad enough the trapped fuel would run on, the heat and back presure would ignite it and all those things combined would kill a head gasket in 5000km real easy, does the car sound like an asmatic at revs?

this is the only thing that we have not replaced. will look into it. :)

will post the results when i have it and post some pics too.

Edited by chrisandliz