Nicks Ke30 V6 Project

NickZ

I bought the vn for $300

Thats what i would have thougt i was just askin why you didnt get one and my question has been answered ill be watching this project closely :P

Edited by lappy

Members dont see this ad
vn-vr motor

Wrong.. VN and series 1 VP were the only ones to use the Buick 3.8, Series 2 VP to VY used the Ecotec motor (in many different guises). They are reasonably good motors.. if you ever look into upgrading to an Ecotec, VR is the best model to get (from what I know, VR's were the most powerful Ecotecs). You definately got the VN for the right price, you'll be able to fetch a fair bit for the manual crossmember if you try and sell it on a commodore forum...

I love the idea of this project anyway mate.. I'd be interested if you wanted to replicate the mounts that your using.

Also, in the VT-VY range of Ecotec, a supercharged version was offered from the factory... Some guys have been doing some mental figures with these engines, and often are looked down on because of the popularity of the GenIII. No doubt one of these superchargers (or superchargers that they are upgrading to) would be of benefit to the Buick motor.. from what I've heard, running two SC14's is a popular supercharging method for the Ecotec motors..

Anyway mate, good luck with the project.

*Subscribes*

Edited by Dan

todays lesson for any one wanting to do this.

buy complete engine and box, but I'm glad i got the manual even though the gearboxes are expensive, every one have been quoting $1200+ dollars for the gearboxes, I am not paying that.

i found one for $550, but i also have found a vn v6 to w58 bellhousings for $400 ( I have a W58).

being a light car i would think the w58 should be strong enough.

What does everyone think would be the better way to go?

The v6 to w58 is cable clutch on the driverside too and maybe the w58 may be lighter and smaller than the t5 commodore box.

The W58 is probably a better option over the T50, although I've never heard of many blokes frying their gearboxes in stocko commodores (alot of mates have VN/VP's and let me say.. they like to drive around in circles ;)). But, if you've got the W58 gearbox, and the T50's gunna cost that bloody much... take the W58.. thats what I reckon anyway. What about the flywheel though?

Series 2 VP to VY used the Ecotec motor

Vs was the first commdore to use the Ecotec then it continued to VY then it changed to the alloytec as far as i know. It helps when my old man works for holden. the old 3.8 like NickZ has is out of a VN VP and VR

nice mate would like to see that once you have finished it, not sure how it would handle though...the 3.8l v6's are just a little heavier than a k motor but should go like F*ck, I have one of the same motor sitting on the ground in me shed (no idea what to do with it???) any way go job, should be sweet ;)

Undoubtedly the biggest drawcard to the April 1995-released VS Commodore, the last of the second generation Commodores, was that it was the first to have the Australian Ecotec ("Emissions and Consumption Optimisation through TEChnology") 3.8 L V6 engine (not to be mistaken for the four-cylinder Ecotec engine). The L36 was the first Series II version, based on the old Buick designs, the new model saw power output rise from 130 to 147 kW. Whilst fuel consumption dropped, the Ecotec ran noticeably smoother and was much quieter. The differences were mainly at the top of the engine; the cast iron block and heads were retained. At the same time, a new supercharged version of the V6 was introduced, delivering 165 kW. quoted from wikipedia

My bad. Wrong on two accounts ;) didn't know that they released the supercharged V6 in the VS either. There was something different between the VN/s1 VP and the later model Buick engines.. don't remember exactly what though.

i don't think there is going to be any updates this weekend, I may get some pics of the ke35.

I'm broke, on money, can't spend $1 on it his week :) and theres not alot i can do untill i get the bellhousing anyway.

this bellhousing is costing me what the commodore and the ke35 cost me in total, was hoping i could this cheap $400

Helo Nick,

One issue you may face with this conversion is that the steering box may interfere with the exhaust manifolds. We experienced similar issues when putting the 3.8 into a corona and a Rover V8 into a KE70.

Jordan