August 10, 200620 yr comment_133553 Gemini's don't really have the gears for it. 1st is too short for motorkhana's, and 2nd is too tall. 20 series and grunter K for the win. Edited August 10, 200620 yr by Redwarf Report
August 10, 200620 yr comment_133584 a mazda 323 hatch with a 12a is very simple conversion, has potential to have lots of power.alls ya need is a rx3 cross member or can get made easily,a 12a from a rx3 and a rx4 4 speed box.not very expensive for these bits and pieces. but hey its your choice you might not be a rota fan. :) Report
August 10, 200620 yr Author comment_133794 I love rotaries, but I don't want to do a conversion that will be a bitch to register. A KE25 is the dream. A KE20 would do the job, and a KE10 would be cool as it would improve my handicap over any other Corolla, simply by being the oldest available. Report
August 10, 200620 yr Author comment_133795 A 1949 Morris Minor with a wild 1340cc would be AWESOME for handicap. Report
August 10, 200620 yr comment_133801 sunbeam/hillman/chrysler avenger, NOT A CENTURA! we called it a plymouth cricket here, don't know why Edited August 10, 200620 yr by mikeys toy Report
August 10, 200620 yr Author comment_133803 Oh hell yes, that looks sweet Mikey. Go one of them with the 265, triple Webers, lumpy-as-shit cam, and extractors and I'd be sold. :) Report
August 10, 200620 yr comment_133804 Oh hell yes, that looks sweet Mikey. Go one of them with the 265, triple Webers, lumpy-as-shit cam, and extractors and I'd be sold. :) If you want something that size, how about a Capri? Haven't seen them in action much at motorkhanas, but seem a few in hillclimbs and they have a fair bit of punch.....not necessarily the sharpest tools in the handling shed when you stick a huge motor in the nose, so stick to the Pinto or Cologne engines Report
August 10, 200620 yr Author comment_133806 A Capri/Escort/Cortina would be awesome. Maybe not the Capri as much as the others, but they'd all do the job extremely well. Report
August 11, 200620 yr comment_133845 Hey! why not a Centura? That wtf factor would be way more powerful than with the Gemmy, I'd imagine. Anything that came with speed holes in the doorsills off the showroom floor would have to be a surprise for the win. But you'd probably want to weld the doors shut straight up: one launch with a hot 265 and they'd never shut again. Report
August 11, 200620 yr comment_133855 Fiat 500. Sure, you won't win, but at least you'll have plenty of fun. Does a Moke fall under the NO MINIS rule? Same as above, except as the risk of death or dismemberment increases, so will the amount of fun. Or, if you want to have a real crack, Fiat 127. 998cc's, but they go hard. As in, "sounds like 998 damned souls being whipped at 8000+ whips per minute" hard. Fook has also witnessed the late Barry Veitch wheel his one I believe. Report
August 11, 200620 yr comment_133867 Rare as all hell, but how about a Fiat 131 (Abarth or not)? They're classic hillclimb cars, nimble, and small enough to work for motorkhanas too......just good luck getting your hands on one, not even sure if they were made in RHD or not Report
August 11, 200620 yr Author comment_133868 All Mini's are ruled out, whether they be Mokes or otherwise. Fiat 500's are awesome!!! Having the engine out the back would probably help my traction out of handbrake turns. The 127 is also rear engined isn't it? A couple of years back someone brought a Fiat with an 850cc motor, but I can't remember the exact model. The 131's are cool too. The only issue with any of these is finding them, and finding parts for them. The advantage of Corollas/Toyotas is that as I've already sold my soul to RollaClub, I've begun to know a LOT of people with Corolla/Toyota parts. The ideal car would be the earliest model, small RWD car I could get - pre-1950 would be awesome. The earlier the model, the more chance I have of winning the handicap trophy as well as the outright trophy. Of course, the older the vehicle, the less likely it is to perform well on the motorkhana's. A 1949 Morris Minor would be sweet, but I couldn't go for too modern an engine as the engine year and capacity also affects the handicapping system. But I'm sure the standard motor with carbs, cam, and exhaust would do the trick anyway. If anyone can think of any earlier model vehicle of a similar size, that'd be awesome, but I think that the Minor is pretty much it. Realistically I see myself ending up with another old Corolla, just one I can register. If I'm lucky it'll be a KE25, but more realistically it'll be a KE30/35. Report
August 13, 200620 yr Author comment_134211 A 1965 Mk1 2-door Cortina has just come up for sale up here. Can't afford the KE10, well, can't afford to bring it up here anyway. Not at $1,500 for freight from Perth to Darwin plus the cost of the car. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now