15x7" On The Front Of A Ke20

12die4

Members dont see this ad

hey wrote up a reply but it didnt show up, anyway in short version:

****it really depends on the offset of the rim*** if it will fit or not, but say the offset is correct and it fits and clears in the wheel well... (which is unlikely)

street / race rollas don't need 15x7 all round, 15x7 is huge for a early rolla ke 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 50 / 55's, especially the fronts, the rear arches of rollas are renowned to be big which is good but the fronts are small, so unless you are going to have a mis matched set its unlikely you can run those rims all round.

tyre range for 7 inch is like 205 - 225 or something, quite wide, too wide for a rolla on the front, you will get scrub, rub and hit suspension gear most likely.

its heavier - more rolling resistance and unsprung mass.

recommended - 13's, 14's, 15's X 5.5, 6, 6.5 (6.5 at most) with offsets to

match original backspace or very close, then its only a matter of guard clearance on the other side of the rim.

tyres 185, 195, 205, 215, 225 (215, 225 for rears only ) x profile to match original rolling diameter (keeps speedo and clearance the same)

obviously drag cars are a class of their own and this doesnt apply to them with their tubs and skinny fronts.

some people want to stuff the biggest widest wheel possible in their car when its still and wheels straight with a few mm of clearance all round, then forget when its moving the wheels move around, up and down and turn as well as lean in and out. so thats when it rubs, scrubs and hits... lol...

one common jap wheel in 7 inch is the 14 x 7 supra rim and has a fairly good offset to suit old toyota rwd as far as i know, but you would have to run lower profile skinny tyres on it, like 205's. i think some people have them on ke70's but not ke 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 50 / 55's.

well good luck, i hope you end up with a decent set of wheels in the end :)

Edited by styler

street / race rollas don't need 15x7 all round, 15x7 is huge for a early rolla ke 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 50 / 55's, especially the fronts, the rear arches of rollas are renowned to be big which is good but the fronts are small, so unless you are going to have a mis matched set its unlikely you can run those rims all round.

tyre range for 7 inch is like 215 - 285 or something, quite wide, too wide for a rolla on the front, you will get scrub, rub and hit suspension gear most likely.

its heavier - more rolling resistance and unsprung mass.

one common jap wheel in 7 inch is the 14 x 7 supra rim and has a fairly good offset to suit old toyota rwd as far as i know, but you would have to run lower profile skinny tyres on it, like 205's. i think some people have them on ke70's but not ke 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 50 / 55's.

well good luck, i hope you end up with a decent set of wheels in the end :)

There is nothing wrong with running 195s on a 7" rim, it is still possible to stretch 185s on there too.....Supras only have 225s standard because of the extra weight of the car, have a look on one and you'll see huge sidewall bulge. 195s fit just fine.

As for 7" being too large for an early Corolla, I've got 14x7" MA61 mags all-round on the KE55, with 195/60 tyres, and no scraping or scrubbing at all, plenty of room in all of the arches too even at full lock. 205s are the standard fitting on new 6.5" and 7" mags, with low sidewall height, so the added sidewall of a 60 profile tyre means that you can run a narrower tread without worrying too much.

There is nothing wrong with running 195s on a 7" rim, it is still possible to stretch 185s on there too.....Supras only have 225s standard because of the extra weight of the car, have a look on one and you'll see huge sidewall bulge. 195s fit just fine.

As for 7" being too large for an early Corolla, I've got 14x7" MA61 mags all-round on the KE55, with 195/60 tyres, and no scraping or scrubbing at all, plenty of room in all of the arches too even at full lock. 205s are the standard fitting on new 6.5" and 7" mags, with low sidewall height, so the added sidewall of a 60 profile tyre means that you can run a narrower tread without worrying too much.

195's are the absolute minimum for a 7 inch, 185's are too narrow.

and yes 195's would clear on an old rolla but they are more suited to a 6 inch rim.

6 inch rims accept 175's to 205's which is all a street/race rolla needs for all round,

why would you run 7 inch rims up front when you don't need them? for the rears they

are suitable.

but yes i did point out the common 14 x 7 supra wheel as a popular wheel for older

toyota rwd, i just wouldnt go out my way to fit 7 inch fronts as they don't have any improvement over a 6 / 6.5 inch rim.

i mean like people spend thousands of dollars modifying the wheel well to fit the biggest wheel they can, with a hairline of clearance all round... what for? so when the car drives around and all the suspension moves around the wheel can rub?

well its a free country and rice is cheap so whatever floats your boat!

just look at all the 18 inch chromie tin fart neon rice cars out there...

heres a tyre chart anyway:

tyre chart

Edited by styler

195's are the absolute minimum for a 7 inch, 185's are too narrow.

and yes 195's would clear on an old rolla but they are more suited to a 6 inch rim.

6 inch rims accept 175's to 205's which is all a street/race rolla needs for all round,

why would you run 7 inch rims up front when you don't need them? for the rears they

are suitable.

but yes i did point out the common 14 x 7 supra wheel as a popular wheel for older

toyota rwd, i just wouldnt go out my way to fit 7 inch fronts as they don't have any improvement over a 6 / 6.5 inch rim.

i mean like people spend thousands of dollars modifying the wheel well to fit the biggest wheel they can, with a hairline of clearance all round... what for? so when the car drives around and all the suspension moves around the wheel can rub?

well its a free country and rice is cheap so whatever floats your boat!

just look at all the 18 inch chromie tin fart neon rice cars out there...

heres a tyre chart anyway:

tyre chart

I wouldn't use that list as the be-all-and-end-all, afterall it doesn't take into account sidewall height. A higher profile tyre is much easier to stretch onto a wider rim than a lower profile one. Sure, there is no real chance of putting a 185/40 tyre on a 7" rim, but a 185/65 can be stretched a fair bit more (more sidewall, you see). Heavier cars need wider tyres because they squash more, so if you stretch a narrow rim on you'll end up cornering on the sidewalls. A MA61 Supra is about 50% heavier than a KE55.

As to having different width rims front and back, most people want to have matching wheels all-round, and most factory wheels (apart from supercars) are the same size all-round. Thus, if you want matching style rims, you probably need matching widths front to rear. And what about the spare? Do you carry a front or a rear, since you're not legally supposed to have different sized tyres on the same axle (unless it's a space-saver)

Hi guys.

The big difference is that there is less room on the front of a 20 than there is on a 30/55.

I would have thought that the right offset 7" would fit. 14x6's fit a piece of proverbial. 8" would be stretching the friendship.

its finding wheels in 7 inch that have the correct offset / backspace to clear everything under all suspension travel thats more the problem.

if anyone wants to run massive wheels (rims and tyres) on a old average rolla its their choice, but from a technical/logical/performance aspect its not worth it, other wheels (rims and tyres) are more readily avaliable for the rollas and have no clearance issues, they work very well, are much lighter, and are cheaper for rims and tyres.

but say you just had to have a certain set of wheels that you found which turned out to be 7 inch wide then so be it. or if you owned a highly modified rolla like a 13 sec drag car or something then i would see the point, otherwise i don't see why a 50hp rolla needs 7 or 8 inch wide wheels when it couldnt break traction in 4.5? inch wide wheels...

Edited by styler