Ke 25 3sge, Pics

robj

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you going to try and get 50-50 weight balance? or is that close enough for you

I don't know if I'll do anymore about weight distribution. So far, without even having adjusted basic things like damper ratings, it is handling well for me, so I doubt it. Feeling more confident taking the car to its' limit than Iwas a few months ago. I don't know if that's a good thing, I'm having to exercise self-control, and save it for the track. :fuzz:

More keen in getting a better steering feel. Now THAT could be a job in itself.... :bash:

my ke20 went from 760kg to 860kg with the 4age/t50 setup. i think the 15" saab chasers would add a bit, motor, gearbox, seats, ke55 diff and front brakes a little heavier, surge tank and pumps, larger exhaust, larger radiator, brake booster. it all adds up.

i've since removed the back seat as its engineered as a two seater.

but also added turbo manifold, turbo, intercooler etc.

keen to remove the sound deadening and the interior trim and carpet and get some light weight 13"/14" wheels and see what she weighs.

my ke20 went from 760kg to 860kg with the 4age/t50 setup. i think the 15" saab chasers would add a bit, motor, gearbox, seats, ke55 diff and front brakes a little heavier, surge tank and pumps, larger exhaust, larger radiator, brake booster. it all adds up.

i've since removed the back seat as its engineered as a two seater.

but also added turbo manifold, turbo, intercooler etc.

keen to remove the sound deadening and the interior trim and carpet and get some light weight 13"/14" wheels and see what she weighs.

Well, you're 100kg better than mine! I guess the cage, W series 3s will soon add up the weight. I don't have a rear seat in mine anymore either. weight on cars is like money, you don't realise how a little bit here, a little bit there soon adds up to heaps.

And HEKTIC, yeah, possibly r and pinion. It is easier in a KE30-55 though, they have shorter LCA, and tierods similar in length to many racks.

• 6 months later...

The car (ke25) is going great, it now has rack and pinion in it. But has a bit (not too bad) bump steer. I was hoping to get rid of all bumpsteer.

Last night I played around with different tierod lengths/rack rod lengths, and it is vertually make bump steer completely disappear! (5mm out over 4 metres- can't measure that at the wheel!!)

When I fix this small problem up, I'll give a report on it.

It is a lot nicer to drive, very tight and good feel.

Used mainly KE70 stuff, rack, LCA , column etc. Still need to mount the column to the firewall properly though.

Loving it.

robj

Edit: The vital statistics:

I cut the rack bar by 57/58mm. But that was too much. Extending the bar by 11mm on each side (22mm total) so only 35mm shortened of the bar was ideal.

LCA inner pivot points are about 6mm BELOW the end of the rack ends, and 287ish mm from the centre line. That is what worked for my KE25.

Toe is is quite noticeable in droop, but now virtually non exsistent in bump.

Using 40mm RCA blocks at the bottom of the xt130 struts.

Edited by robj

• 4 months later...

The car is going really well now.

I've done some 10 000 km, using it nearly every day. That includes a few track days.

The Rack and Pinion has a full length rack in it, and works well.

Been playing with the computer, and getting down to nearly 8l/100km, but usually around 9l /100km. Track days about 30 l/100km!!

Hey champ.

More information with this R&P setup would begreatly appreciated as I've been looking into doing this to my KE25 that I'm rebuilding.

Cheers

Raven

also very interested in the R&P mod.

ive read that using KP61 starlet R&P is an easy way to do it, but if i had access to a KP61 i would be modifying that instead.

EDIT: i just went through and read the whole thing and this car is awesome, and you look like my dad. thats all.

Edited by godlovesugly