Ke 25 3sge, Pics

robj

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the W-58 fit straight to the engine? What bell housing is used?

2s Bellhousing fits on to the 3s block. Must use a wider pilot bearing though, or better- take 5-8 mm off the face of the bellhousing. That will make the clutch fork fit better too in it's range of travel. But the motor must sit pretty far forward OR very low. I did mine very low, so as not to hit the transmission tunnel. I have recessed part of the tunnel too.

Nick: you have a PM re flares.

Queen 20V: Thanks. 1972

Edited by robj

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been over a year since I've added to this page.

A few changes:

Suspension

I've played around slightly with the suspension and wheel alignment (has 2.0 degrees negative camber, and now 4.5 degrees castor).

I've taken the smallest leaf out of the rear, and this lowered the back a bit too much, so reduced the lowering block height. Also have a 22mm adjustable swaybar, instead of the previous 19mm. (Standard is 16.5mm...)

Cooling system

It now has a better cooling system- it started to leak with too many pipes. Has a remote bleeder tank with a radiator cap on it.

Better tires

Changed tires a while ago: now runs RE001 adrenalins. Still 185x60 14 inch. Definately a big step up from the firehawk wide ovals. Even at small lateral g forces they just feel much more direct and sure footed. The extra 2.5 degrees castor has helped the understeer obviously.

AZCUSTOM sump

The 2S modded sump has a few baffles in it now. With the stickier tires, and already being a slightly smaller capacity sump than the 3sge, I was a bit concerned. Now I have oil 'insurance.'

AZCUSTOM improved inlet manifold

I also have an AZCUSTOM inlet manifold, which has 100mm longer runners, and a bigger (3 litre) plenum. I was expecting it to be more torquey and less quick.

What the result is that the strongest acceleration area is not from 4500rpm to 7000rpm, but now 3700 to 6700. AND changing gears around 6000 - 6500rpm actually gives me quicker acceleration than what it used to do at 7000rpm! Happy with that!

Yet to retune it.

Enjoying it! :happy:

post-891-1267063764_thumb.jpg

post-891-1267064009_thumb.jpg

post-891-1267064063_thumb.jpg

Edited by robj

what other types of coilover front suspension can fit into the ke25 coil over wise?

Does the AE86 stuff fit? In you case you used corona bottom half with a coilover top?

Thanks guys for the comments. Yep, is heaps of fun to drive. I actually leave to go to work earlier to avoid traffic congestion and start the day with a pleasant 25min drive. Gets me to work refreshed.

I've tided up the inside a fair bit too: new Knox fitted carpet and Automotive carpet behind the seats and over the parcel shelf.

Only little annoyance is an ongoing occasional (fairly often) petrol smell that finds it's way into the cabin when the car has been standing for some time e.g. overnight in the shed. Don't know if anyone else has that problem. Have checked the tank etc for leaks. Keen to recover from a busted knee to go back driving!

Tipsi, my struts are corona xt130, shortened 40mm and coilovers put on them. These are a wider (I think 52mm OD) strut than the KE25 ones, but very similar king pin. Obviously they have the wider bolt spacing than the KE25 strut and knuckles. Just another challenge that can be overcome.

• 3 weeks later...

The fuel smell you are getting is due to having your surge tank and pumps in your boot. The smell would waft through the back seat. You could try sealing the cabin area to the boot better and that might get rid of it a little.

Either that or mount your fuel system under the car :lolcry:

A few people I have spoken to have this problem with boot mounted fuel systems >| I didn't get any in my AE71 sedan on short gaps of driving but if I left it for a week or so then stinky

Looking great Rob :jamie:

Out of interest, what is your new plenum made from ? Is it alloy or steel ?

Thanks for the advice Luke.

Doogs, it's made of steel. I've heard that a lot of custom 3sge manifolds develop cracks much easier than 4ages etc. Hence the steel, and a brace going to the engine mount.

Thanks for the advice Luke.

Doogs, it's made of steel. I've heard that a lot of custom 3sge manifolds develop cracks much easier than 4ages etc. Hence the steel, and a brace going to the engine mount.

Thanks,

I'm thinking about building a plennum for a dedicated gas setup, on a 5k for my Ke20. (Every bit of research helps).