Sr20det Into Ke55 Coupe And Engineering Laws

Osmosis6176

Hey people, I am looking at buying a ke55 coupe in tas and i have searched the forums on here about putting a sr20det into it. I am just wondering if it would pass engineering and if anybody knew where i could actually find the engineering laws for the states, particularly Tasmania. Any help would be appreciated. Am looking at running quarters mostly, (drifting does not interest me) but want a nice and quick street car. Money is not really an object as it will be my project over the next year or so. Want to do it properly the first time rather than put in a ca18, just work the but off the sr20 to start off with.

Cheers

Craig

Edited by Osmosis6176

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you it is presently still legal in QLD, the engineer will usually require 4 wheel disk, (larger fronts) and a stronger diff and gearbox.

The laws for the under 1100kg class are currently under review in QLD, so sources tell me that within a few months, it is likely, cars like mine will no longer be able to be engineered.

Hey people, I am looking at buying a ke55 coupe in tas and i have searched the forums on here about putting a sr20det into it. I am just wondering if it would pass engineering and if anybody knew where i could actually find the engineering laws for the states, particularly Tasmania. Any help would be appreciated. Am looking at running quarters mostly, (drifting does not interest me) but want a nice and quick street car. Money is not really an object as it will be my project over the next year or so. Want to do it properly the first time rather than put in a ca18, just work the but off the sr20 to start off with.

Cheers

Craig

Just get it over the pits with the stock 4k, then put in the sr20! If the cops ask just say it is a import! :)

Hey Craig,

Not sure about the legality in TAS, but my best mate here in NSW has got a KE55 with an SR20 DET in it.

He got the work done by Autosport Engineering in Kirrawee near Sydney.

As far as I know, the car has the standard KE55 diff at present, Skyline R31 front disc brakes and the 5 speed gearbox from the Nissan Sylvia where the engine came from. Also has a hyraulic clutch.

He has had problems with overheating, so has got the radiator serviced and re-cored, but a bigger radiator than the stock KE55 one would be better.

And it is damn quick - engine hasn't been worked at all but still goes really hard. Looking at upgrading the intake plenum and bolting on a bigger turbo, then bottom end mods down the track.

Hope this info helps a bit.

Davros

• 3 weeks later...

IN my conversion i used a stock KE35 radiator and just had it recored with a three row core, Also put a thermo switch in the bottom tank to turn the thermo on and had the outlets moved to suit the ca18det inletr and outlets. Never gets hot sit between 87 and 92 even at the drags etc

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently putting a s15 sr20de+t in my ke30. The motor is in along with the gearbox, diff and front disks. I'm currently doing the fuel, should i change the standard fuel lines to bigger ones? or will the standard ones be adeqaute.

Standard fuel lines aren't adequate for a turbo 4k, let alone an sr20!!!! :y:

Main problem is the size of the return line, its only really a breather.

What I did was disregard the existance of the stock return, ran new some 3/8 rubber hose under the car as a new SEND, then used the stock send as the RETURN. :P

is it legal to have rubber hose run under the car, but your idea of just changing the return line is great idea. do you think that the standard fuel in line will be adequate to be used as a return and will it make much of difference if the fuel in line is bigger then the fuel return line?

Legalities - I live in Tassie dude, we basically get away with anything!! :P Mind you, even if I had to get it pit inspected, it would probably clear IN TASSIE.

Do you know anybody with sr20 s13,14,15, or GTiR?? check there engine bay. I'd dare say that the stock corolla IN would be as big if not bigger than a sr20 return!! but don't quote me on that.

As for the different sizes, no real drama in the return being smaller that the send, remeber some of the fuel that comes through the send does get used by the engine!!! :y:

hey i am just about to do this conversion in my corolla as well, just bought an sr today and, planning on using hilux diff with series 4 rx7 rotors and calipers and probably corona front struts and brakes, (anyone know of a better way to do front brakes would be very interested) , i am undecided on what booster to use so if anyone has a recomendation would be very thankful

as far as i know from talkin to performance shops in town they all seem to think that the new laws shouldn't effect the sr20 corolla. so hopefully they are right about that or it will be a very very quick conversion. well mod plated quickly anyways.

so yeah any of you guys\girls who have done the conversion and are a little further than i am into it then i would be extremely thankful for any sugestions that people are willing to put forward.

thanks

joe

I'm currently putting a s15 sr20de+t in my ke30. The motor is in along with the gearbox, diff and front disks. I'm currently doing the fuel, should i change the standard fuel lines to bigger ones? or will the standard ones be adeqaute.

Upgrade both of the lines to the same size, donot have two different line sizes. Use 10mm external diameter METAL tube, you can get this from any good auto shop,in any length, you can bend it by hand. Using a too small return can cause serious problems. 10mm is the biggest efi hose available, and is suitable for any future upgrades. :y:

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!